SOA spring options - JeepForum.com

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 05-11-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Randonexplosion
Deplorable

1988 YJ Wrangler 

SOA spring options

After going SOA up front on stock YJ rear springs I am finally happy with the ride, and even more so with the off-road performance. That is until I destroyed them in Moab last week. I am looking for something with the same spring rate (or close) but more durable. I have read thread after thread of people asking the same question, but never much of a resolution or specifics. The most common suggestion is the Full Traction 0" lift springs, that haven't been available for a few years near as I can tell.

Next are Waggy springs but they add some lift and stretch over stock YJ springs, neither of which I can fit or want.

Then there are the RE Reverse Eye SOA packs, but they give 1.5" of lift.

Another option is another set of YJ springs with an added main. The consensus seems to be that they stay nice and soft but can take a beating. Exactly what I need except for the availability locally and the expense of shipping 100 lbs of springs.

A 5th option is a set of Crown replacement springs (with a main added when I can). The problem is figuring out which ones to run. After reading some reviews of the fronts, there seems to be a Standard and HD set, with quite the difference in spring rates. Here is a snip of a review on Amazon

”For anyone wondering, the Heavy Duty front spring pack is slightly thicker than the Standard Duty front pack giving it a higher spring rate which may increase the load capacity slightly. According to Crown Automotive, both are 4-leaves, same length and width but the Standard Duty is 1.05" thick with a spring rate of 139# and the Heavy Duty is 1.25" thick with a spring rate of 272#."

The Crowns are appealing as they are fairly cheap and are available on Amazon Prime.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Or any other spring packs? I definitely don't want to stiffen up the ride.

There are always custom springs like Alcans, but I'd like to keep the investment minimal, as leaf springs are only temporarily until I move on to bigger and better things...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 05-12-2017, 05:52 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Zoiks, Nice job on those springs...

I started to bend my Omix-ADA springs just flexing the jeep in the garage.... warranty covered though...

I added a second main to my 5 leaf pack...running them all corners...

Still soft and flexy, the added leaf did ad about an 1" of lift but springs are still pretty new so I imaging they'll settle back in /down...

Local spring shop charged me $100 to make 4 extra mains... Brought them a new spring set for reference and they maid the new extra main and added it to the pack... I did the remaining three on my own...

I agree, go 5 leaf Crowns and get an extra main main
Attached Thumbnails
2-22.jpg  

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Build thread.
SOLD

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. SOLD

YJOTM FEB 2013
post #3 of 46 Old 05-12-2017, 07:02 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Rand, I'm one of the guys that just went with RE. They are fine, hold the Jeep up and all, but I'm curious where this discussion goes.

NH, those retainer clamps look pretty tight, won't let the leafs relax very well on droop.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #4 of 46 Old 05-12-2017, 09:30 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, that's bent!

I don't know on stock length springs since I went the other way, but keep in mind adding leaves SOA = added height so if you add a couple or three springs you may as well just do the RE SOA springs. I think with my fronts I'm two or maybe three springs shy of a complete second pack in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 46 Old 05-12-2017, 09:56 AM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What about a front traction bar? Won't change the spring rate but will stop the "wrap" from happening.
Bad part is finding space for it.

92 YJ
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/
post #6 of 46 Old 05-12-2017, 10:07 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have been running the Crown HD Rears (6 leafs) all the way around. They have done great for me. They have been on many of wheeling trips. They are soft and stable. The springs have an ever so slight negative arch, but they have pretty much had that since day 1. Cant beat them for the price. I can post pics if you want any.

YJ 350TPI NV4500 HPD60 14BFF ARB Chromo's
March 2017 YJOTM

post #7 of 46 Old 05-12-2017, 03:18 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post

NH, those retainer clamps look pretty tight, won't let the leafs relax very well on droop.
They do droop, there's enough axle weight. The clamps may need to be clearanced a bit, Need to give them a good work out still.

RAND, Wow, I didn't really notice the 2nd pic earlier. springs look bent thru 4 of the 5 leafs... Not sure what would prevent that in the future

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Build thread.
SOLD

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. SOLD

YJOTM FEB 2013
post #8 of 46 Old 05-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Was this an unusual circumstance?
Hit something at speed?
When I look at them, I can see something like that happening... hitting a hole while under full (panic) braking.

If so, shiat happens.

There are inherent risks with soft springs.
That's why... they're soft.

Now for my theory.
I think the reason spring manufactures make YJ springs so stiff, they are trying to avoid bent springs.
YJ springs need to not only support weight, but they also locate the axle.
Need a certain amount of strength to keep the axles where they are.

I might be wrong. Or not?

Ban computer updates, auto-play video and music without real instruments.
post #9 of 46 Old 05-12-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Randonexplosion
Deplorable

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like I'm gonna look into the Crown packs a little further.
@87TPIYJ so yours are the HD heavy spring rate, but they still feel plenty soft?
@bobracing an anti-wrap bar could help, but you're right, no room with my drivetrain in there. I also don't really want to weld anything else in there unless they are link brackets
@JeeperDon is there any chance you have a pic of the spring mounted?
@Chrisnvegas you caught me. I was definitely hauling *** through the sand and hit a hole under hard braking. But if you break it while driving like an *******, then you didn't build it tough enough, right? :Cheers2:

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

post #10 of 46 Old 05-12-2017, 11:19 PM
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I run Alcan stock height springs. I had them custom made. Call them and they will ask you a series of questions about what you do with the Jeep, how much weight is on it etc. I paid around $850 for them and are the best springs I've ever run.

Psalm 14:1

Live in Georgia? click here-->
post #11 of 46 Old 05-12-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Randonexplosion
Deplorable

1988 YJ Wrangler 

@ionakana $850 for all 4? That's not so bad...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

post #12 of 46 Old 05-13-2017, 12:16 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed. You should be able to get rowdy in the sand.
Build stronger!
Randonexplosion likes this.

Ban computer updates, auto-play video and music without real instruments.
post #13 of 46 Old 05-15-2017, 05:33 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like I'm gonna look into the Crown packs a little further.
@87TPIYJ so yours are the HD heavy spring rate, but they still feel plenty soft?
Yes, They ride great. Especially once I replaced my old blown shocks with new Bilsteins. Without going to ALCAN's or having a really weak leaf pack, I don't really see it getting much softer than it is.

March 2017 YJOTM

post #14 of 46 Old 05-15-2017, 05:41 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
They flex well too. Even with my up travel limited.

Brake line being too short was limiting factor in this picture.

March 2017 YJOTM

post #15 of 46 Old 05-15-2017, 06:37 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
...Even with my up travel limited...
I had to do that too, fab up some taller metal bump stop towers above the axle u-bolt plate. I just get a bit tire-lug-on-fender-flare flutter when stuffed. I always forget to mention bump stop work when these 'how to SOA' threads appear.
87TPIYJ likes this.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.