SOA/OTK/"One Ton" tie rod question(s) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA/OTK/"One Ton" tie rod question(s)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSteering Stabilizer Brackets...

Unread 04-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

SOA/OTK/"One Ton" tie rod question(s)

I have a couple of questions I am having a little difficulty using that nice "search' button to find the answers. I bent my tie rod on a wheeling trip this weekend so I am looking at replacement/upgrade options.

My current set up:

-SOA with 6 Leaf 0" lift springs.

-JB 4x4 Crossover steering bracket

-Home made 1-1/2" .25 wall DOM drag link (stock TRE's)

-Stock Tie rod

I am looking at building one out of ES2234(R&L) TRE's and 1-1/2" .25 wall DOM. One question that came up is will the HD tie rod clear a ruffstuff D30 diff cover? I would like to avoid the offset TRE's due to availability and price. I would need to ream for then new TRE's and that led to the next question. Is any one successfully running their tie rod OTK with the chevy TRE's on a SOA set up? It looks like it would be really close to interfering with the spring. I would like to get the tie rod up out of the way as much as possible. Trying to figure these things out before I bust out the wallet on some parts. Thanks!

Picture for reference.

Unread 04-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not SOA but can tell you I run the RuffStuff DOM with 1 ton Tre's OTK and clearance of the Diff is close. I have an ARB cover and do not contact it, a cover that stuck out furthur could be an issue. My understanding is just OTK will not work with SOA, you need a high steer set up.
Unread 04-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would say no. I've got basically the same as you SOA, JB4x4 bracket etc. I too bent the hell out of my tie rod and went with a similar setup but used the RS offset tie rods. My stock tie rod would almost rub on the Rock Crusher cover. Plenty of room now.

These pics are from when I did the install, so it wasn't all tightened up yet (because someone always points out that they're loose).
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If it fits I would like to use normal TRE's even if it's UTK. Has anyone been successful using particularly the ruffstuff diff cover with the "one ton" tie rod? I know it's not truly "one ton" but it's what everyone calls it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 04-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
rwinter

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
I have a couple of questions I am having a little difficulty using that nice "search' button to find the answers. I bent my tie rod on a wheeling trip this weekend so I am looking at replacement/upgrade options.

My current set up:

-SOA with 6 Leaf 0" lift springs.

-JB 4x4 Crossover steering bracket

-Home made 1-1/2" .25 wall DOM drag link (stock TRE's)

-Stock Tie rod

I am looking at building one out of ES2234(R&L) TRE's and 1-1/2" .25 wall DOM. One question that came up is will the HD tie rod clear a ruffstuff D30 diff cover? I would like to avoid the offset TRE's due to availability and price. I would need to ream for then new TRE's and that led to the next question. Is any one successfully running their tie rod OTK with the chevy TRE's on a SOA set up? It looks like it would be really close to interfering with the spring. I would like to get the tie rod up out of the way as much as possible. Trying to figure these things out before I bust out the wallet on some parts. Thanks!

Picture for reference.

I had rock crusher diff covers and it wasn't a problem.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l...-build-866779/
rwinter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think you can run it OTK, because the springs are in the way.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like I'm just going to bite the bullet with the offset TRE'S. I'd rather get something I know is going to work try and save money on something that might work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 04-23-2015, 05:03 AM   #8
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

clearance the diff cover.
Unread 04-23-2015, 05:30 AM   #9
calvynandhobbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know the crossover steering bracket you are using at all, but my SOA YJ is getting the RuffStuff OTK 1-ton kit. I've checked for clearance and I can run OTK, but I'm also SOA running a waggie 44 with Dodge outers and flat tops, which I think gives me a little more height to get above the springs than what you're doing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.