To SOA or not to SOA VS RE Extreme Duty 4" Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > To SOA or not to SOA VS RE Extreme Duty 4" Lift

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-18-2001, 07:36 AM   #1
st_hood

To SOA or not to SOA VS RE Extreme Duty 4" Lift

I am wanting to put a suspension lift on my 91 Wrangler. Anyone have SOA and have an opinion. How does it ride? It would be the most radical lift for my Jeep. What parts do I need and what are optional?
RE (Rubicon Express) Extreme Duty 4" Lift for YJ. Runs $849. How much more for a SOA? RE has SOA kits too, but I don't know for sure if I need everything in their kit. Not sure what all their kit includes. Any and all HELP needed.
TIA,
st_hood

st_hood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2001, 10:19 PM   #2
wilhelm

st-hood,
this is a reply to your question about the gauge conversion; ALL WHEEL DRIVE in farmington nm. their website is ALL WHEEL 4X4.com and click on products (gauge bracket)
also the article was in 4wd sport utility magazine (TECH article ROCK WRANGLER ) i found this off their website.
wilhelm nj ...............
wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2001, 04:40 PM   #3
rayray

st_hood,
Talk to some of the guys with fwd-fwd. Take a look at the rigs that are soa. Then ask them about there first hand experiances and have them point out what it is they are talking about on there rigs. I'm sure if money is a major concern, you will like the RE Extreme kit the most. It's a great kit.
Here is fwd-fwd's site for contact info.
fwd-fwd home page

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2001, 07:38 PM   #4
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

SOA is going to run you about 1,200 or more, if you get the SYE and a steering correction kit from M.O.R.E, and also the RE pieces, go to www.rubiconexpress.com and click on tech articles and check out the SOA instruction, liquiddirt has the best review with a full list of supplies, welding is the only thing setting me back from getting one, but no matter what the two lifts will cost almost the same. $849 plus SYE $340 1,189 so it may be a little cheaper but the SOA has a better result.
Unread 05-22-2001, 06:34 PM   #5
Loomis4wheeler

I have an 87 SOA. As far as ride; well, it rides like a lifted jeep, however, it handles very well on the trail and I have great clearance. Two of the main problems you have with SOA are: driveline alignment and axle spring wraping. I also recommend that you do not use your stock springs for a SOA. Some guys think its ok, however, they were not designed for SOA and will wear fast. One benefit from my SOA; no need for a body lift.
Overall- not sure if I would do it again. There are many good bolt-on kits on the market, and you can always throw on a body lift if needed.
Loomis4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2001, 10:06 PM   #6
Jeepaholic

SOA's are a great way to go, if you have the ability to fabricate (weld, cut, torch, etc). There are some kits out there, but there's no bolt-on kit....nor would you ever want one.

My biggest suggestion to you is to do your homework! Research, research, research. SOA's can be built to handle phenominally on the road, but they have to be done right. There are a lot of write-up's on the web there on how to do them...read 'em all before ya dive into something like this.

I've got a very extensive write-up on my site (under "Tech Papers"), so check that out first. Then find all the others out there and learn from 'em...

Good luck!

[SIZE=1][url="http://www.jeepaholics.com"]Jeepaholics Anonymous[/url]
[url="http://www.broncoholics.com"]Broncoholics Anonymous[/url]
[/SIZE]
Jeepaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2001, 01:53 PM   #7
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by Loomis4wheeler:
I also recommend that you do not use your stock springs for a SOA. Some guys think its ok, however, they were not designed for SOA and will wear fast.
I don't know if you think I'm lying or what, but you keep insisting they don't work. Ok, they didn't work for you, fine say that. I ran a set of stock springs (w/add-a-leaf) for over 2 years SOA. Those springs hit the Rubicon, the Dusy-Ershim, Jackhammer and a number of other trails. And now the same set of springs is on my son's SOA. I have assisted in building quite a few SOAs and many of them run on stock springs with add-a-leaves.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.