to SOA or not to SOA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > to SOA or not to SOA

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 05-15-2001, 11:45 PM   #1
austin mclean

to SOA or not to SOA

So...is it expensive to install? Does my mpg go down, will it have better handling? Will I flip take a turn at 3 mph? Need some help...

Unread 05-16-2001, 11:00 AM   #2
Cody_91YJ

You might want to look around on some Jeep sites and look at other people's rigs. Look at some SOA'd jeeps and see if you want to be that high and if thats what your looking for.

An SOA is the way to go. Its somewhat expensive because it ususally involves custom work.
Your MPG will go down, not because of the lift, but because of the bigger tires that you will be running, and you'll probably want to do a gear change.
As for the handling, it kinda depends on how well the SOA is performed and how the steering is handled.
You shouldn't flip your Jeep driving down the road unless you pull something stupid like making a u-turn going 40mph
Unread 05-16-2001, 01:35 PM   #3
Loomis4wheeler

I drive an 87 SOA. I will answer your points based on my experence:
Cost - cost more than a bolt on lift because of the custom work involved(if you do it right)The critical factors are the alignments. You should call shops in your area to get pricing(make sure you get a list of all parts they plan to replace)
MPG - I second Cody's reply, it's the tires and gears along with other factors that effect MPG.
Handling - compared to what? Any lift will change how your jeep handles, however, I will say that a poor SOA installation will result in poor handling (do not use your stock springs). Just keep in mind that as you build your jeep for off-road, it's on-road performance will decrease(its a give and take)
Flip - As you go higher, you increase the potential for roll-over, however, your driving skills will increase or decrease this potential
Summary - So, is a SOA the way to go? Depends who you talk to. There are so many lifts on the market, it becomes a matter of choice...and wallet. heheehheee
Loomis4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2001, 03:54 PM   #4
rayray

Austin,
Is your jeep still stock? Are you new to the hobby/sport? Do you know what type of wheeling you want to build your rig for? Will it spend most of it's time on the street?

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2001, 01:41 AM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not a whole lot to add here, just a disagreement or two.

Yes, just going SOA alone will affect your gas mileage. I know this for a fact. We've measured the effect on two different YJs just to verify. Much more air winds up passing under the Jeep than the previous height and creates drag is what we suspect. Of course, if you gained the height thru some means other than SOA, I suspect you'd have the same result.

Loomis, using stock springs certainly does not mean you'll have a poor handling SOA. As a matter of fact, the stock springs with a full-length add-a-leaf is what I'd recommend. I realize that some have had poor luck with stock springs. But it is almost always those who do not use an add-a-leaf, or try to substitute the add-a-leaf with a cut main leaf. But even if you do use stockers alone, that just results in flat or negative arched springs. The handling does not suffer due to this. You don't get much lift, but the ride actually improves.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.