SOA Lift ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA Lift ?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-03-2001, 01:25 PM   #1
rls270

SOA Lift ?

I am planning on installing a Rubicon Express SOA lift on my 92 YJ. I am planning on changing my leaf springs and am wondering which works best (Front/Rear). Also what is the best steering set-up for the SOA. I am planning on running 35's. I have read many articles on the lift and am just wondering what works best before i break open the check book.

rls270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2001, 01:48 PM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Custom springs work best. Alcan or National can build a real nice working set of SOA springs. Old Man Emu also work very well SOA. Just about any 2.5" or less lift springs work pretty well SOA. Another option is using the stock springs with the Rancho full-length add-a-leaf installed. I've said many times before this is a very effective SOA spring pack.

High steering works best. I believe it's M.O.R.E. that makes a good high steering kit for the Dana 30. Not an ideal setup since it only moves the draglink up. But still, it's the best you can do on a Dana 30. Is it worth the cost though? I couldn't answer that. If you know you're never gonna swap out the front axle, then probably. Otherwise you might try a drop draglink from MIT in El Cajon, CA (619-579-7727). I used this for several years and it worked very well. I run steering arms on the top of the knuckle now and have both my tie rod and draglink up very high. This is the ideal setup. But you can't do this on alot of axles, including the Dana 30.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2001, 02:28 PM   #3
I-4

i'm considering the soa,will the d-30 hold up to the 35's.is this axle even worth keeping around?i'm gonna try to do this in stages.i'm on a budget.i know my d-35 is crap.i'm planning on ditching it asap.so with the new axle for the rear,i plan on hopefully going soa.thanx for your input.
Unread 10-03-2001, 06:04 PM   #4
bob91yj

I know a guy that has a Chevy 350, R4, Atlas 2, 36" TSL's, and runs a D30. He put TJ shafts in it, which eliminates the disco, and gets you bigger U-joints. He did the Rubicon on this set-up, so don't think he babies it. You just have to remember what you have up front when your wheeling. D35 and 35-36" tires is probably not a good idea.
Unread 10-03-2001, 07:18 PM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Bob! Welcome to the forum you ugly cuss!

Yeah, when I saw the previous post what I was thinking is that the Dana 30 can probably handle the 35" tires depending on your driving style. Now the Dana 35 is another story. I think Will's auto goes a long way towards removing some of the stress on his Dana 30 too. He runs a 44 rear too.
Unread 10-03-2001, 07:26 PM   #6
bob91yj

Who ya callin' ugly D.I.C. Saw your post and had to come check it out. Agree the automatic probably helps a lot, and I've never seen him stand on the throttle either.
Unread 10-04-2001, 04:11 PM   #7
I-4

the d-35 will be gone as quick as i can do it.i figured since i've gotta have new perches welded on,might as well go soa.here's a real subjective question.who makes the best soa?i want to do this right.i've not had much of a chance to look around for an soa "kit".the soa just makes sense(at least to me) also,what size tires can you get under the soa running a set of 2 inch lift springs(w/o serious rubbing?)thanks for your help!
Unread 10-04-2001, 05:52 PM   #8
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

90% of all SOAs are totally custom jobs. So answering who makes the best one would be very hard. Rubicon Express is the only place I know of making a kit for SOA. I know one shop in El Cajon, CA that will convert you to SOA. Most shops won't touch it. Liability thing. Even if you buy the kit, you might have trouble finding a shop that would install it. That's why most SOAs are done pretty much by the owner of the Jeep and his buddies.
Unread 10-04-2001, 09:21 PM   #9
I-4

i've got a place lined up(when i ever get to do it)so that's not a problem.is the re pretty decent.does it include all the stuff for correcting the steering?i do not want this to be a mickey mouse half a$$ project.i know the characteristics will definately change,but i want as litle "bumpsteer" as possible.will the re kit address this problem or will i need to find something else?
Unread 10-04-2001, 09:40 PM   #10
bob91yj

Drop pitman arm and an S-shaped drag link are the less expensive band-aids for the D-30 bumpsteer. Some people are totally against the S-shaped drag link because it is weaker than a straight one.
I've looked at the M.O.R.E. steering correction kit for the D30, but it is pricey, and still leaves the tie rod down low where it is subject to damage.
I'm currently running the stock tie rod, S-shaped drag link, and drop Pitman arm. I carry a spare tie rod, and my original straight drag link for trail fixes.
Unread 10-05-2001, 02:07 PM   #11
Tman

If I may. I'm finishing fine tuning my SOA on 2.5" lift springs right now. I'm also in the process of installing the MORE steering kit so I can let you know about that. IMO steering is going to be the biggest hurdle. I tried the original draglin, than I made an S draglink out of my rear trackbar to no avail. My tierod would rotate back and forth when steering before the tires moved. This caused a 1/2 turn play in the steering wheel!
If you haven't put money into the front D30 yet I'd wait and swap that out too to a Waggie D44 front with chevy flat top knuckles. It's not going to be cheap though but you get stronger steering components and a bigger ring gear and breaks.
Now, the YJ reverse cut hp D30 is quite a good axle up to 35" tires if you know how to drive it. The u-joints will go first and the more you turn the wheels the weaker they are. You can put in a set of axles from a '95+ YJ that has the 297x u-joints and it'll be as strong as a D44.
Regarding the springs I heard good things about the RE 1.5" SOA springs.
Unread 10-05-2001, 02:39 PM   #12
I-4

i see that more has a steering kit.also mit.does mit have an e-mail address?if they do does any one know what it is?i'm gonna start getting my crap rounded up.besides a steering problem,(if not done right)what other "hidden" problems will their be?
Unread 10-06-2001, 04:43 PM   #13
Tman

You will most likely have axle wrap. If you use stiff springs to cure it you'll loose flex. Use a soft spring setup and you'll loose u-joints or even yokes. Most run soft springs and some sort of traction bar the ladder bar type being the best. You'll also need an SYE with a CV shaft. Your front driveshaft could also be too short once SOA. Yeah, there is a lot of work to do but take it one thing at a time and it'll worth it.
Unread 10-06-2001, 06:04 PM   #14
I-4

ah yees,the old axle wrap issue.gonna go with the stiffer springs.not a whole lot of rocks here in the dfw metroplex.so losing a little flex won't kill me.do you know of any beefier springs that are near the stock height for a yj?started getting it mapped out with the local 4x shop.use tj flares+soa+35's=lot's of fun and broken stuff!the purpose in just the soa is to keep this thing from being too tipsy with all kinds of lift.
Unread 10-07-2001, 07:22 AM   #15
jpwranglr9

i have a SOA on my jeep for about a year now (and have finaly taken care of most of the this and thats a few months now knock on wood) it is a lot of work. I used Procomp's 4" spring in the front (these are very stiff) and 3.5" BDS springs in the rear. Even with these springs axle wrap is a problem. the best cure is a trac bar from Sams Off road. i didnt have the extra money hanging around do i ended up making one. this will take care of all spring wrap along with converting it all to down force.
the stearing i am using and s-shape draklink. yes there is some play but its fine for driving and as long as your caster is set well you should track fine and have no problems. good luck on the SOA, it was just about as much fun to build as it is to play with.
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.