SOA lift - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 06-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #31
buckedgabers1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How is a dana 60 not a 1 ton Google it 60's are 1 tons

Unread 06-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #32
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1330 View Post
Explain your self..
SOA with a stock set up with no extra lift and no cutting....You will not fit 40s
See ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
ill agree with some of the previous. those who are at the point of going with 40's are usually past the point of, "lift it to the sky with a stock body to make it fit." some of us with large tires as a goal are trying to find creative ways to make it sit lower. even with relatively small 35s you have to trim sheet metal if you are building a functioning suspension so what is a bit more trimming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
He never said it could be done without cutting. Compcut the rear, add tube fenders and viola. 40's.
Think that about covers it.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #33
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckedgabers1 View Post

because some dana 60s are 3/4 ton. google it.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #34
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Gotcha. I have to agree, a YJ with 10+" of lift and 42's would quickly end up on its lid in my neck of the woods. The owner, may not wheel it, or only does mud runs. So for him it may work well for his intended purposes.

I'm just speculating, but it looks to be on factory wheel base which makes it look like the fender, down low, just behind the tire would hit the tire if it flexed alot. Also, with tires that big, even with the TJ flares in the back it looks like the tub would hit the rear tires pretty easily too. I try to stick to rocks and other obstacles. If that jeep was mine it would be lowered, stretched and cut. But since its not, and I dont know the intended use, I cant knock the build or the owner. All I can do say that it probably wouldnt work ME.
Respectfully understood but did not build with intent to climb It would be horrible at that to say the least. I know this. Playing in deep holes is what it was built for. I'm in SC not many boulders and rocks to crawl over around here. just swamps and mud.
phil1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #35
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckedgabers1 View Post

A dana 60 is not a one ton rear. A 14 bolt, dana 70, or Sterlings are. look under the back of some one ton trucks.

there was a time when they were used in the early 80's - 70's but they stopped that nonsense. Search a bit about dana 60's being in the rear of jeeps on 40's and you will find tales of woe. with an ARB, Cromo's, quality gears, and a truss they can be made better.

3/4 ton trucks have dana 60 rears.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #36
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
why? you have a lot of options when going to 40's. JP fit them on a stock YJ suspension. I am currently putting them on a SOA yj on xy springs.
I have a feeling that 99.8% of the jeepers on here rock crawl, trail ride and what not. The mud boggers def seem to be a minority here.. I'm just not one of those people whos gonna be cuttin on my babyj. Just sayin

Good luck with your soa
Unread 06-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #37
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That's what i like about this forum, you get to see so many different setups from all over the country. phil1330's rig isn't like what I am running but I am glad I saw it because that thing looks pretty cool.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #38
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1330 View Post
Respectfully understood but did not build with intent to climb It would be horrible at that to say the least. I know this. Playing in deep holes is what it was built for. I'm in SC not many boulders and rocks to crawl over around here. just swamps and mud.
This is exactly why I wont knock someone elses build. Just because it doesn't fit MY purpose, doesn't mean its wrong. Thanks for not taking offense to my comment before, I didn't mean any. Was just trying to illustrate a point.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #39
Yjmudding
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So what is the total estimated price for doing this lift? And could someone explain what a compcut is?
Yjmudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #40
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yjmudding View Post
So what is the total estimated price for doing this lift? And could someone explain what a compcut is?
both of these questions were already answered on the page before this. look around before posting

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #41
Yjmudding
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well there is no real explanation of what a compcut is
Unread 06-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #42
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

theres a photo of it on page two showing exactly what a comp corner is.

Unread 06-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #43
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
This is comp cut. Yes, its legal in alot of states...

this is what one is yjmudding...I also did not know

my computer is acting wierd did not see the previous post by g4x4xgeoff
Unread 06-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #44
Yjmudding
1992 YJ Wrangler 

But is it just cutting the metal away from the wheelwell on the outside? That seems really simple
Unread 06-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #45
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, that is all a comp cut is. It allows for more wheel travel, and gives the owner room to stretch the wheelbase slightly for better approach/departure angles as well as gives it a bit more stability. The disadvantage to doing a stretch is you often have to find other options for your fuel tank.
It just depends on what you want your rig to do, and how far you would be willing to cut it up to get there. I personally wouldnt go more than minor fender trimming, but that is just how I like mine to look. Your opinon/needs will vary.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.