SOA lift - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA lift

Introducing the Quart Crate...JK Front Axle TrussPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 06-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #16
jjlaw72
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i built my jeep on a budget too and did soa I love it and daily drive it on the streets and fwys quite often but I wanted to do it right, so I searched the net CL, and all the jeep forums looking for deals, got a soa kit unused(perches,shocks, transfer drop ,pit-man arm, u bolts) for 150, a 31 spline 8.8 with drums for 70.00, jb high st for 100 ,ext brake lines 100, SYE for 250, tattons CV drive shaft 200, 2 hiems and dom tubing 100 Rubicon SOA 1.5 springs 300, boomerang 3/4 shackles 50 about 1200.00 but considering a 6 SUA lift is about 900 without SYE or CV drive shaft steering or brake lines and I have a better ride and axle it was well worth it

jjlaw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #17
18Dmedic
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is also SOA and I run 37s. I absolutely love it! But you have to do it right or forget about it. I had to fix a lot of the POs redneck engineering when I first got her. You will enjoy a SOA lift.
18Dmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #18
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

To quote myself from a previous thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
The biggest tips and tricks for SOA are
1. Do it right, the first time.
2. Its not cheap easy nor quick
3. It will cost $1000 more than you think.
4. Its is the epitome of the snowball effect
5. Fab/welding skills are absolutely nesecery
6. There is no one right way to do it, but many wrong ways to do it.

Look in the FAQ at the top of the yj forum. There is a link for soa info. Search. Read. Keep reading. Build it a thousand times in your head and on paper. HAVE A PLAN AND FOLLOW IT. I stress that because when you make a change midway through, it will change a lot of other stuff that will cost more money. I have posted many times on here about the costs of an spa and have a link in my sig to my soa.

Mine is soa on factory springs with an aal. Its not a permanent solution as the factory springs will eventually bend, but so far mine are holding up. Her is mine on 35's

My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #19
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yjmudding View Post
Do you have any websites or anything that I can look at to do some research?
The Frequently Asked Questions sticky thread has lots of info in it.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #20
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

ill agree with some of the previous. those who are at the point of going with 40's are usually past the point of, "lift it to the sky with a stock body to make it fit." some of us with large tires as a goal are trying to find creative ways to make it sit lower. even with relatively small 35s you have to trim sheet metal if you are building a functioning suspension so what is a bit more trimming.

what i dont agree with is the, "build it right" mentality. everyone has a different goal and application for their jeep. 90% of those touting their builds, including those who say the previous, i feel havent done it right. for example. if you are planning on keeping the stock shock mounting configuration then i feel dont even bother with the soa. its a waste. if a soa is doable then a set of shock hoops that allow for a shock with a range long enough to cover a soa's flex potential shouldnt be out of reach of the builder. for me, keeping improper length shocks isnt "right." but according to a majority of "builds" i am wrong. it just illustrates my point in that there are differing end goals and they wont all be the same.
Unread 06-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #21
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
You need to look at a lot more than just SOA, as in axles etc....

TRUE

Not necessarily.
Explain your self..
SOA with a stock set up with no extra lift and no cutting....You will not fit 40s
phil1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #22
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1330 View Post
Explain your self..
SOA with a stock set up with no extra lift and no cutting....You will not fit 40s
He never said it could be done without cutting. Compcut the rear, add tube fenders and viola. 40's.
Budget Welding Cart

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Unread 06-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #23
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

What is COMPCUT the rear? Still getting use to the lingo..
phil1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #24
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
ill agree with some of the previous. those who are at the point of going with 40's are usually past the point of, "lift it to the sky with a stock body to make it fit." some of us with large tires as a goal are trying to find creative ways to make it sit lower. even with relatively small 35s you have to trim sheet metal if you are building a functioning suspension so what is a bit more trimming.

what i dont agree with is the, "build it right" mentality. everyone has a different goal and application for their jeep. 90% of those touting their builds, including those who say the previous, i feel havent done it right. for example. if you are planning on keeping the stock shock mounting configuration then i feel dont even bother with the soa. its a waste. if a soa is doable then a set of shock hoops that allow for a shock with a range long enough to cover a soa's flex potential shouldnt be out of reach of the builder. for me, keeping improper length shocks isnt "right." but according to a majority of "builds" i am wrong. it just illustrates my point in that there are differing end goals and they wont all be the same.
Not sure if this was aimed at me or not. Like I said, there is not one right way but there are many wrong ways to do it. The wrong ways drive horrible, are un safe and vibrate like crazy. I know there are many ways to do it, and have never touted my build as the "right" way. It was the way that fit me, my time constraints and wallet best. It works very well for the wheeling I do, its safe and reliable. I have never told anyone that the build they are doing or have done is "wrong". However, if someone asks for suggestions, I will tell them how I did it, explain why it worked for me, then recommend they look into other options as well.

Example, I am one of the relatively few running the BTF steering bracket. When asked about it, I explain that I already had rod ends on my steering prior to the SOA, and having alot of money in my steering, I wanted to keep it. The BTF bracket fit my application perfectly. If someone asks about my steering, I will tell them how I did it and why. Then tell them to look at the other options, jb4x4, MORE, etc.

Anyone who has done an SOA the right way, will acknowledge that it is a very intimate project between the owner/builder and the jeep.

As for the shock issue, I am running stock shock mounts in the front (for now). They work for me right now. The rears have been extended. Using your logic, am I only half worthy of SOA?
Budget Welding Cart

Quote:
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #25
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This is comp cut. Yes, its legal in alot of states...

Budget Welding Cart

Quote:
Unread 06-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #26
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1330 View Post
Yeah u'll def need more lift for 40s.
why? you have a lot of options when going to 40's. JP fit them on a stock YJ suspension. I am currently putting them on a SOA yj on xy springs.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #27
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yjmudding View Post
Well in the end I want 40's on it because it won't be my primary vehicle. I think I would need more of a lift though. What do you think?
1. you can do it. dont get too discouraged its a lot of time and money. I am close to the 5K mark and need to dump another 500-600 on steering plus 300-1000 on drive shafts depending which way I go. will be 6K easy when I am done. could have been 10K but I got a lot of deals along the way.

2. I would not run a jeep on anything over 35'' tires with out a WB stretch and wider stance.

3. you need one ton axles. a dana 60 rear is not a one ton rear.

4. research, read, repeat. you are entering the phase of choosing a specific spring/axle combo. You will need to weld and cut.

5. gather all the parts before you start. it insures you can afford it an dont have to wait on shipping
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #28
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

wasnt pointed at you notmyj but you are also illustrating my point. the right way will vary quite a bit and what i feel is "wrong" might work very well for others. the profile pic with the yj on 42s makes me chuckle because that wouldnt work at all for me but it might be awesome for the owner.
Unread 06-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #29
buckedgabers1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Comp cutting with out a rear stretch is dumb looking
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #30
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
wasnt pointed at you notmyj but you are also illustrating my point. the right way will vary quite a bit and what i feel is "wrong" might work very well for others. the profile pic with the yj on 42s makes me chuckle because that wouldnt work at all for me but it might be awesome for the owner.
Gotcha. I have to agree, a YJ with 10+" of lift and 42's would quickly end up on its lid in my neck of the woods. The owner, may not wheel it, or only does mud runs. So for him it may work well for his intended purposes.

I'm just speculating, but it looks to be on factory wheel base which makes it look like the fender, down low, just behind the tire would hit the tire if it flexed alot. Also, with tires that big, even with the TJ flares in the back it looks like the tub would hit the rear tires pretty easily too. I try to stick to rocks and other obstacles. If that jeep was mine it would be lowered, stretched and cut. But since its not, and I dont know the intended use, I cant knock the build or the owner. All I can do say that it probably wouldnt work ME.
Budget Welding Cart

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.