soa as daily driver?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > soa as daily driver??

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Ridgejeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

soa as daily driver??

i have a 93 yj currently on 4" of lift but i want to do a soa conver. to get a little more lift for the tires i bought... but i drive my jeep daily to and from work and school think a soa would be suitable or should i just save a lttle more and get a bigger lift?? i drive about 60plus miles a day

Ridgejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

See my profile for the pic of my SOA jeep... But I have run my SOA jeep for almost 3 years as a daily driver going 20 miles to and then from work and I hit 75 MPH frequently. The only issue you need to worry about is driveline vibes (need SYE), and your steering. When going SOA the tierod (pitman arm to pass. knuckle) is no longer parallel with the drag link (knuckle to knuckle) this results in steering input whenever you hit a bump or different terrain on one tire seperate from another (bump steer).... So to avoid bumpsteer which causes white knuckle driving lol you need something that will lift your tierod UP from the steering knuckle so that the knuckle is once again parallel with the drag link... There are a couple ways to do this.

The cheapest would be at Goferit Products! , this product flips the tie rod from the bottom of the knuckle tab to the top... This will gain you 3 (ish) inches and with a dropped pitman arm this will reduce (not eliminate) bump steer on a SOA conversion...

The most expensive that i've seen is at High steer, knuckle over steering system for Jeep Wrangler this kit is the Rocky Road OTT High Steer Kit which raises BOTH the tie rod AND the drag link ABOVE your leaf springs, making them completely parallel. This kit is kinda pricy but both myself and MeanMax have purchased this setup and have COMPLETELY ELIMINATED bump steer...

There are many kits out there to solve this problem but those are the cheapest i've found and the most effective, i'm sure others will chime in.

Overall I love my SOA conversion and would never go back, my steering is better than stock and I havn't found a downside to it yet other than pricy tires at 36"...
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
olyjeeper
2002 TJ Wrangler 

what size tires did you get? spring over on my old yj gave me an extra 5.5" of lift. with your 4" springs that would put you at almost 10 inches of lift. you'd probably want 37s for that. i had 2" springs, a soa swap and a 2" body lift with 35s and they looked too small.

besides looks i dd'd mine for 2 years, it was ok. gas milage was horrible and it wandered alot on the highway. people think spring overs are cheap but to do it right you will end up spending just as much or more then a spring lift. if i were you i would prob get a 1" body lift and some 1" shackles and put on some 35s
olyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

DD'd my old junk, no problems.
I used the jb4x4 steering bracket on every SOA I did and it worked excellent.
I used 2" Old Man Emu J1R springs all round, soft shocks and a MORE traction bar.
Done right, it will ride as good if not better than a SUA rig.
There is a sticky in the FAQ section, under suspension that lists parts needed etc to do it right.
My old junk on 37's....
fendersdoneweb.jpg
Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good Martin do you think it would ever pass an MOT?

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
Looks good Martin do you think it would ever pass an MOT?

Dwayne
MOT in England, probably not. Would need tire coverage.
Inspection in Missouri though? It sure did!

Martin
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
bpr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
DD'd my old junk, no problems.
I used the jb4x4 steering bracket on every SOA I did and it worked excellent.
I used 2" Old Man Emu J1R springs all round, soft shocks and a MORE traction bar.
Done right, it will ride as good if not better than a SUA rig.
There is a sticky in the FAQ section, under suspension that lists parts needed etc to do it right.
My old junk on 37's....
Attachment 100467
Martin
Hey Martin,

Did you do a tie rod flip also? Can't tell from picture. If you didn't do you think you could using the JB4x4 bracket without clearance issues to either the JB bracket or tie rod too close to your springs?

Thanks
bpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpr View Post
Hey Martin,

Did you do a tie rod flip also? Can't tell from picture. If you didn't do you think you could using the JB4x4 bracket without clearance issues to either the JB bracket or tie rod too close to your springs?

Thanks
I got the tie rod flip from OK4x4, but could not use it due to the Old Man Emu springs. With the size of the tubing I used to make the tie rod, it hit the springs at full turn.
Different springs, or a thinner tie rod would allow me to have run it flipped.
As it was, I wheeled it pretty hard and never had an issue as it was in the picture.
Even my current junk (XJ) is running the tie rod under the knuckle to keep the trac bar perfectly inline with the drag link. So long as you use good sized DOM tubing, it will take the hits if you do happen to "bump" it.
Here is a closer shot of the YJ when I did have the tie rod flip on there. See how the Old Man Emu springs are flat near the U bolts? That is where the tie rod would hit it. If the springs were fully arched where they mount to the axle, it would have let me sneak the tie rod between it and the knuckle. I instead built a thicker tie rod and went under the knuckle.
steering-web.jpg
Here is the XJ, still UTK, but beefy enough to take a hit IMHO.
rti-closeup-web.jpg

I always use thick walled DOM for my steering, never let me down yet

Martin
Martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
bpr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That is kind of what I thought might happen. What perches did you use up front? I was thinking if I got a perch that sits a little higher it might give me the clearence needed for the TRF. I guess you could always put a really small lift block 1/2" maybe to use as a spacer to give a little more clearance. I know, I know some will say that is so BAD! But hey it is all give-n-take.
bpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I used the MORE perches IIRC.
And I thought of spacing the springs off the perches with some steel. I just went ahead and put it back on the bottom of the knuckle and never had a problem though. I did make a beefier tie rod before I went back to UTK though, something I would do again.

Martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
eddy666

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
I used the MORE perches IIRC.
And I thought of spacing the springs off the perches with some steel. I just went ahead and put it back on the bottom of the knuckle and never had a problem though. I did make a beefier tie rod before I went back to UTK though, something I would do again.

Martin
If you did space the springs off your perches would your draglink hit the springs in full droop?
eddy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy666 View Post
If you did space the springs off your perches would your draglink hit the springs in full droop?
No I do not think so. The measurement from the TRE to the top of the spring is set, the angle is the only thing that changes. At full droop, the angle would increase, thus making more room than when sat level.
I could have made @1/2" spacer with no ill effects IIRC.

Martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 02-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

there is nothing wrong with dd'ing an soa rig IF the job is done right. it is not cheap and it is not easy. you will mot likely not be able to go soa using your 4" springs, as you would have a monster truck, with serious steering and driveline problems. not to mention top heavy on stock width axles. do some research on the soa, there is TONS of info out there. soa can be a very great way to go, but do it right, or dont do it. once again, its not a cheap way out.

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #14
Tcarsten
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Try this for your steering

JcrOffroad, Inc.

I did this its works great for an SOA
Tcarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #15
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Old thread, but pertinent ... and the question really doesn't need asked and answered again. Subscribed, because I've owned this stock height YJ long enough to consider spring lifts, then - since I haven't bought a lift yet - now SOA.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.