SOA conversion write up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA conversion write up

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 04-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
wessy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

SOA conversion write up

I'm just curious if there is a detailed writeup about this. I'm thinking about doing it but I'm wondering how to do it like all of the steps involved and the cost for all the parts. If anyone has any information that would be great.

wessy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Go look at google there are plenty of write ups out there.
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have posted a list of items I used numerous times & posted 100's of pics and did write-ups along the way.

The search feature is your friend.

If you took the first step & listed your intentions concerning which parts you would like to use, that would be a good start. I really don't feel like writing down everything I did & then it turns out you aren't going to use the items I used, that would be useless, that's why I mentioned you need a list or at least a partial one first.

If you intend to use a D35, I don't have any advice except you really need to start rethinking this.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2007, 02:45 AM   #4
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

100% agree with joe, google is free, and there are a million write ups on this very subject.
a few things to consider....
a)if you want to do it on a tight budget, forget it.
b)if you cant weld to a reasonable high standard, forget it.
c)if you are in love with the dana 35, forget it.
d)if you cant afford bigger tires than 33's, forget it.
e)if you dont want to run a sye, forget it.

there are the basics for ye........ do it right, or dont do it at all. done cheaply/incorrectly, you would be a liability to yourself and everyone else on the road/trail!
read up on it, then if you have specific questions, feel free to post up!

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Agree 100%. Don't try to do things on the cheap and think that the 90 dollar solution is just as good as the 250 solution. The more you try to cheap on things (including the D35 axle) the longer it will take and more time and money you will invest in the long run. I know because thats where I'm at. Redoing a lot of that stuff is not fun. Get a real full SYE, a new rear axle at least, and new tires at a minimum in addition to the suspension and steering aspects.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with all the above. If you are coming from a 0-2.5" lift with no SYE, it's going to cost you $1500 or so to do a SYE. Leafs=650, perches/ubolts=100, shocks=200, steering=150+, brake lines=50, SYE=250, driveshafts=??

Do it right or don't do it. That actually applies to anything anytime.
Unread 04-12-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
wessy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys I don't think I will go SOA at least not yet expecially for the type of wheeling I do. I plan on running 33" tires. Also I'll probably stick a 3 and 1/2"-4" lift on there. Will I still need a CV driveshaft and SYE kit? I'll probably keep the D35 in their unless I can find an 8.8 with the proper gear ratio. Now a couple of questions what gear ratio should I be looking at. Do you think that gears would be the best bang for your buck at getting the motivation back after getting bigger tires on? The reason I'm thinking of leaving the D35 back there is because I'm running the 4.2L and automatic trans whic (should) have 3.54 in it. It feels pretty slow with 29" street tires on it. Thanks for all the help so far guys.
wessy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.