SOA Conversion for $75 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA Conversion for $75

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
AHighFiveToLife
1993 YJ Wrangler 

SOA Conversion for $75

Anyone heard of this? This guy says he has converted two YJ's to SOA by using mostly stock parts and just relocating them. I was wondering what everyone else thought about this?

http://www.4x4grace.com/tech/soa.html

Any suggestions/warnings?

Last edited by AHighFiveToLife; 01-09-2006 at 07:44 PM..
AHighFiveToLife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
Jeep4x4nut

Id get new spring perches and shock mounts. go ahead and get new shocks too, you'll want them. Also. while you are under there you might as well get rid of the Dana 35 and grab an 8.8. Thats my advice for ya man! total price would be about $200-$250
Unread 01-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
AHighFiveToLife
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4x4nut
Id get new spring perches and shock mounts. go ahead and get new shocks too, you'll want them. Also. while you are under there you might as well get rid of the Dana 35 and grab an 8.8. Thats my advice for ya man! total price would be about $200-$250
Well for now I was going to get new perches, keep the shock mounts, if my buddy can cut them clean enough, realign them to fit my current shocks and just extend my bumpstops for now. As for the Axle upgrade, I already have a d44 Fr and a 9" Rr, thanks for the input though!
Unread 01-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
Jeep4x4nut

Ok good. jsut as long as the 35 gets trashed..lol
Unread 01-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You should really get springs made for SOA, also longer brakelines, shocks, some anti-wrap device(ladder bar), steering might come into question somewhere along the line, and assuming he put an SYE in there somewhere. In the end, it'll be more than $75

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #6
z71offroader

like most ppl say u get what u pay for. if i was u id go for the R.E SOA kit only 300$ and it comes with basically everything u need and its done right. i plan on doing an SOA on my jeep hopefully the end of february. im using the R.E soa kit with there 1.5" lift springs, new shocks, sye and cv style drive shaft. im looking at about 1700$ but i am doing a bigger lift than a normal soa.
but i still recommend just spending the 300$ on the r.e kit.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 02:32 AM   #7
Roach
1994 YJ Wrangler 

OFF TOPIC - Sort of...

I work for a truck shop, and i was trying to get a key for a tonneau cover from one of our competitors, i happened to park in front of the window and he kept saying how much he liked my jeep, etc...

anyway... I'd mentioned someday I wanted to do SOA and full size running gear...
He suggested i ditch that plan and get a 3" BL and 3" wheel spacers.
I couldnt decide whether i wanted to vomit, laugh hysterically or cry hoping theyd never convinced anyone to do this setup...
Roach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHighFiveToLife
Anyone heard of this? This guy says he has converted two YJ's to SOA by using mostly stock parts and just relocating them. I was wondering what everyone else thought about this?

http://www.4x4grace.com/tech/soa.html

After reading this article, I'm convinced to go SOA when I get the money for new parts. Any suggestions/warnings?
It seems like we have this topic once a week. Sure anyone can do any SOA for cheap, but from trail experience: cheap breaks. So you have to ask yourself: cheap or reliable?

First: Why SOA? You do SOA for two reasons: flatter and flexy springs and extra lift to stuff big tires. SOA require custom metal fab and require knowledge of suspensions, drivelines, steering, and brakes. The flexy springs allow a lot more travel, which in turn allow a lot more stress to be applied to all components. Your U-bolts, spring plates, shackles, spring perches, and springs see a lot more twisting and bending. All of these things need extra beef. I refuse to put in U-bolts that are smaller than 5/8” and spring plates that are thinner than 3/8”.

Your driveshafts, shocks, brake lines, and steering have extra travel. So sometime you need aftermarket products to accommodate this. The author didn’t mention anything about a SYE or new driveshafts. The author also didn’t talk about axle wrap, which is common problem.

Next, I will never do a SOA with the stock rear axle. There is too much work evolved for someone to go out and grenade there D35 and then require more work to put in a better rear end.

I call BS.

Why did I spend 4.5 grand on a F/R D44 axle swap (all new bearings and seals), with front and rear ARBs, 4.88 spicers gears, custom high steer (by me), rear disk brakes, new 2” Alcan springs, new perches, new 5/8” u-bolts, new 3/8” spring plates, new M.O.R.E. extended shock towers, custom shock cross member (by me), J.B. super shorty SYE, custom front and rear driveshafts, new shocks, M.O.R.E traction bar with custom cross member (cross member by me)?

I like to do stuff right the first time.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
bretm

These threads always strike me a little odd as well. No matter how cheap you lift it, you're still gonna be in $600-700 for decent tires and a set of steelies... double that if you want the latest treads and aluminum rims.

In light of all the other stuff to lift it right, the actual springs (or SOA conversion parts) are pretty cheap. Trouble is, there's no way to really get around the other stuff if you want to DD it and maybe go on a date once in awhile.
Unread 01-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #10
ncjeepinyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by z71offroader
like most ppl say u get what u pay for. if i was u id go for the R.E SOA kit only 300$ and it comes with basically everything u need and its done right. i plan on doing an SOA on my jeep hopefully the end of february. im using the R.E soa kit with there 1.5" lift springs, new shocks, sye and cv style drive shaft. im looking at about 1700$ but i am doing a bigger lift than a normal soa.
but i still recommend just spending the 300$ on the r.e kit.

Well since he already has a 4" lift and just wants to go SOA with stock springs (or something lcose to stock) He probably doesnt need most of the stuff in the RE kit. I would imagine there isnt too much he would have left to do other than perches but without seeing the jeep first hand i can say for sure.
Unread 01-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #11
AHighFiveToLife
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjeepinyj
Well since he already has a 4" lift and just wants to go SOA with stock springs (or something lcose to stock) He probably doesnt need most of the stuff in the RE kit. I would imagine there isnt too much he would have left to do other than perches but without seeing the jeep first hand i can say for sure.
Yeah, sorry about that. I forgot to mention that I already have all of my gear for the SOA conversion. That link wasn't for me, just wondering if it would be a problem for others to try.. I just posted it for others to check out, and broaden their ideas for SOA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.