soa 4 inch springss - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > soa 4 inch springss

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #16
matko25

the dana 30 isnt that bad of an axle, the 35 now thats a different story. i wouldnt go over 5 inches of lift if it was me. makes it to top heavy. i would just get out the grinder and welder and cut out the fender wells and run 37s

matko25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #17
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My wheeling buddy snaps his D30 with 35's all the time. He even told me when I got mine not to go over 33's with a D30. I saw him turn real sharp to pull into camp one night and snapped his outer axle right there on the main road without even getting to wheel all weekend.

I would go atleast 8.8's with it and stock to 2.5" springs.
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #18
highrolrcustoms
1995 YJ Wrangler 

im running the d30/d35 and 37's and still no problems....of course i dont beat on mine like most but for a street/mild mudder i think that the d35 could be upgraded to handle them just fine.....rock crawling is completely different from mudding...it puts extreme stress on the axles. i have a 8.8 ready to go in WHEN/IF the 35 breaks. everyone wants to know how well a 35 will hold up to 37's.....i will keep you posted and as far as the d30 goes im not worried at all
95 yj juggy, backhalfed, 3 link front with 16" fox dual rate remote resi coilovers, 4 link rear with 16" fox air shocks, Monster Stak 2 Speed transfer case 4.33:1, full width ford 78/79 dana 60hp front axle with 538 gears and full spool, ford sterling 10.25 full width rear axle with 538 gears welded and disc brake conversion, 42x15 swamper tsl's on 15x8 Allied wheels 3.5" backspacing with DIY beadlocks, High Steer with 1.5x.250 dom tubing, Full Hydro steering, custom cage, rci 2161a fuel cell ,smitty xrc 8 winch, cv driveshaft, jk motor mount lift, racing seats with simpson 5 point harnesses

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/3-4-ton-axle-swap-has-begun-1108933/[/url]

"THE MORE YA PLAY WITH IT.....THE BIGGER IT GETS"
highrolrcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #19
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Mudding puts just as much if not more stress on the axles as crawling.

When you are spinning your tires in the mud to keep them clean and hit some traction = KABANG!

It's common knowledge that 35's are about the limit for a stock (open) D30. Chromoly shafts will buy you a little bit of insurance but not much and IMO you would be better off spending the money on a D44 rather than polishing a turd.
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #20
CoverinEarth
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
It's common knowledge that 35's are about the limit for a stock (open) D30. Chromoly shafts will buy you a little bit of insurance but not much and IMO you would be better off spending the money on a D44 rather than polishing a turd.
Yeah thats it, dump a ton of money into a D44 and then, o wait, it has the same size u-joints as a D30. DOH!

If your gonna dump money into a new front axle, Polish the 30 up a bit, then save your money and do a 60. Skip right over the 44 if your 30 isnt strong enough. Truss/Gusset the 30 housing, throw a full carrier locker in it and some chromo shafts with a GOOD set of ujoints and you'll be just as/if not stronger then a stock 44 that you'd have to dump money into to get it into your rig.
JeepFest 2009 Runner-up Best of Show YJ
See Dan at [URL="http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/index.php"]RuffStuffSpecialties[/URL] for all your Fabbing needs!
And check out [URL="http://www.shopjeepparts.com"]Z & W Offroad[/URL] for Cheap prices and quick shipping on all your Jeep needs[/CENTER]
CoverinEarth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #21
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Yeah, put an $$$ expensive, low hanging, 600+ lb 1 ton full width axle under your rig because it's stronger than a D44 and have your tires stick out so far that you can no longer drive it on the street (legally).

D60's are much harder to find and will empty your wallet real quick.

The D44 is a good compromise between ease of installation, cost, weight, clearance and strength (when built properly).
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #22
parkerm26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

why does huge SOA turn into such an ordeal. This fight already happened in Highrollcustoms thread. holy **** just answer the guys question. hes not asking if its to tall to get his vag into it. he wants to go big. nothin wrong with that. to do it right you will need (and it will cost you alot) and probly some stuff i'm missing...
-Bigger Axles (D60's, maybe a 14 bolt). you will need to rebuild them "lug-to-lug". and Iron maiden the tires dont have to be illegal. someone decided to invent backspacing a while ago to adjust for that. ever heard or fender flares either? hmm guess not my bad
-Super short SYE (probly JB conversions) and a tom woods DS. its gonna be a steep DS angle no matter how you figure. You'll need a MML at least 1"
-Wheels for your new 8 Lugs (make sure you have the right backspacing so everyone doesnt get mad at you )
-Tires are gonna cost you a ton. especially on 16 or 17 inch rims
-JB 4x4 high steer knuckle and drag link, and a beefed tie rod
-Gears for the axles and them installed
-i'm probly forgetting a lot but thats a list to start with.... next time if you dont have an answer to the question, just press the back button and look at other threads
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #23
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
D60's are much harder to find and will empty your wallet real quick. The D44 is a good compromise between ease of installation, cost, weight, clearance and strength (when built properly).
Thank you, agreed. I'd never consider a D60 for my 35's or even 37's. For now my ARB and X297/X760 u-joints are doing fine. Should I need to deal with a front axle, I'll probably sell the D30 ARB and do a D44.
Unread 04-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #24
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerm26 View Post
why does huge SOA turn into such an ordeal. This fight already happened in Highrollcustoms thread. holy **** just answer the guys question. hes not asking if its to tall to get his vag into it. he wants to go big. nothin wrong with that.
x2 this thread got way off track.

OP, I've got 4in rough country springs and I'm going to try them soa, but I imagine it will be too tall for me running 36" tires. I won't know till I try though, and I would recommend you do the same and see if you like it. If you don't then just get new springs or put the stock ones back on, simple as that.

Steering... you need some sort of high or crossover steering setup. Do a search and you'll find a lot on that subject.
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #25
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
why does huge SOA turn into such an ordeal. ...he wants to go big. nothin wrong with that.
He wanted to know what he was in for with his plan. That obviously includes what is needed technically, which is how you see it.

Since a ride that tall is on the more extreme end of lifting a Jeep and the OP gave no indication of why he chose to do that other than he already had the springs, offering concern is appropriate. He also never came back in subsequent replies to indicate he was already aware of the concerns. TMI is better than rolling over.
Unread 04-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #26
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
He wanted to know what he was in for with his plan. That obviously includes what is needed technically, which is how you see it.

Since a ride that tall is on the more extreme end of lifting a Jeep and the OP gave no indication of why he chose to do that other than he already had the springs, offering concern is appropriate. He also never came back in subsequent replies to indicate he was already aware of the concerns. TMI is better than rolling over.
True, more information is always better, but I see these arguments about axle strength come up all the time, even when they're uncalled for.
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #27
parkerm26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post
True, more information is always better, but I see these arguments about axle strength come up all the time, even when they're uncalled for.
agreed. i dont know much about it so i stay away from it.

just cuz he wants a 10" lift doesnt mean you sneeze and the thing falls over. ^up^ AND <out>
Unread 04-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #28
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
hes not asking if its to tall to get his vag into it.
Best thing i've heard all day!
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #29
ausra15
1991 YJ Wrangler 

alright im sorry i never said anything about it but i am aware that the axles will be weak but that is not my concern for now. what i want to know was a list of items that would be needed to complete the lift. thanks parkerm26. also mml whats that mean? and what about the axle wrap?
32" MTR's
diamond plate rockers
custom chrome bumper red diff covers and a ton of lights
ausra15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #30
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

mml means motor mount lift. It's to help with driveline vibrations mostly. You will want to look into anti-wrap perches and definitely address the steering. High steer and crossover are really the only two options.
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.