SOA+4.5"=??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA+4.5"=???

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-24-2002, 12:55 AM   #1
ScratchingWezel

SOA+4.5"=???

I have a 1991 Sahara that is stock, except the new flow master. I did mudding all the time in it with no problems. But, the last time I MESSED UP the motor, bad. Now $2500 later I have it back. I want to get a Rubicon Express RE 5015 Spring Over Conversion Kit and a RE 5520 4.5" Extreme Duty Suspension System (was going to get Skyjacker mono but did a search and learned that those sux) and want to try and but 36" Super Swampers on some Weld Mountian Crushers. I want to know if that will work and what other things do I need to upgrade so it don't break an axel or something just as bad. It is a daily driver (I am 17 and I drive it to school and work mostly) and won't be going offroad very much any more.I know I will need diffrent gears but that is ok, what else do you think i need to upgrade.

Unread 06-24-2002, 08:32 AM   #2
RodeoRob

Well, with her being a street queen, you can probably get away with rolling on the stock axles... just don't expect to be able to drop the clutch and launch her off the line without consquence. But, if you were going to do *any* sort of offroading, an axle upgrade would definitely be a must. It might not be a bad idea to at least consider a Ford 8.8 swap... or if you're looking for something entirely boltup, drop the money for the Super35 kit.
You're right, you'll need to regear. Also, with that much lift, you'll have driveshaft issues. You'll need an SYE and CV driveshaft for the rear and roll your pinion up on the rear axle. Steering linkages might also be an interesting problem with that much lift, not quite sure what you're gonna do about that even though I do believe MORE has highsteer setups for D30s.
Thats about all the major stuff i can think off of the top of my head.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2002, 08:33 AM   #3
yjeep95

sye, cv... might come in the kit though,i dont know re is a great kit. but if you are just driving it to work and back and school and back, both of those are pretty serious lifts for just doin that. i also dont think that the d30 + d35 you have will work those tires so well. they are very small for huge tires. now i am sure some people run them, and if you are just driving like you said you are it would probly be fine. if i were you, i wouldnt get that much just for what you are doin. i would go with a 4.5 maybe and have some left over money to do other stuff.
just my .02
yjeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2002, 09:53 AM   #4
Jeep Man

You only need the SOA to fit 36's! That and a 4.5 kit would be able to fit 38's, especially if you don't wheel much to flex it out. You MIGHT need a 1" bl to clear 36's on just the SOA, but the suspension lift would be overkill.
Unread 06-24-2002, 10:25 AM   #5
ScratchingWezel

I am planing on buying the SOA and the 4.5" with a CV shaft and the tires and wheels at the same time. Than I will get the rear end gears and the axle's as the money comes in my way (should not take long) I will continue to off road just not till i get a snorkel and talk my parents in to it so i will be using the syspension upgrade( I will not go till I get the axle upgrades also).
Unread 06-24-2002, 10:33 AM   #6
ScratchingWezel

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by RodeoRob:
<strong>... or if you're looking for something entirely boltup, drop the money for the Super35 kit...</strong> <strong> You'll need an SYE and CV driveshaft </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">First, would that Super35 kit help for minor off roading or a new axle be better.
Also, What is a SYE.
Unread 06-24-2002, 12:42 PM   #7
Jeep Man

Slip yoke eliminator. Don't use it, and when you flex out, your driveshaft pops out of the t-case!
Unread 06-24-2002, 02:04 PM   #8
ScratchingWezel

I was thinking about it all and decied I would do as the following,
1. 4WD Currie® M44 Rear Axle Unit with Disc Brakes, YJ, 1987-95
2. 4WD Currie® M44 Front Axle Unit, YJ, 1987-95
3. 4WD CV Rear Driveshaft, YJ, 1994-95 with over 3" of lift
4. 4WD Front Driveshaft, YJ, 1991-95
5. SYE not sure what one
6. M.O.R.E Steering Correction Kit STAGE ONE
7. M.O.R.E Traction Bar for Rear Axle
8. then the RE SOA and 4.5" with the tire and wheels at the same time

Do you think I should put each piece on as I get it or all at the same time.
Unread 06-24-2002, 03:07 PM   #9
RodeoRob

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ScratchingWezel:
<strong>First, would that Super35 kit help for minor off roading or a new axle be better.
Also, What is a SYE.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yea, it will help for offroading too. Its a kit from Superior Axle that replaces the stock axle shafts in your rear D35 with stronger shafts and a higher spline count. They are usually coupled with an OX or Detriot locker. Kit runs somewhere over a grand. The major selling point of this IMO, is its entirely bolt up and go where a swap requires a little more muscle to complete.

Which one is better/cheaper/stronger/easier is a topic of much discussion. Search and you'll find plenty.

IMO, if you're going to continue to offroad, an axle swap is a much better, more robust solution. But if you're looking for ease, don't care about the cost, and serious offroading isn't in your future, Super35 kit isn't a bad choice.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
Unread 06-24-2002, 03:13 PM   #10
ScratchingWezel

I think I am going for the Currie® M44 Rear Axle Unit with Disc Brakes because it is only 1500 and I think it is better What do you think about the Currie® M44 Front Axle Unit, YJ, 1987-95 for the front.
Unread 06-24-2002, 05:11 PM   #11
ScratchingWezel

What is the diffrence between the DANA 60 REAREND - BUILT BY CURRIE the "normal" and the "reverse". Do you think that will work, I would rather get a new axle then the SUPER35 kit.
Unread 06-24-2002, 05:34 PM   #12
RodeoRob

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ScratchingWezel:
<strong>What is the diffrence between the DANA 60 REAREND - BUILT BY CURRIE the "normal" and the "reverse". </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Are you talking about reverse cut gears vs. normal cut? reverse cut gears are stronger when used in front axle applications where normal cut gears are stronger when used in the rear.

-Rob
Unread 06-24-2002, 06:42 PM   #13
jeepinarkansas
1982 CJ8 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> I was thinking about it all and decied I would do as the following,
1. 4WD Currie® M44 Rear Axle Unit with Disc Brakes, YJ, 1987-95
2. 4WD Currie® M44 Front Axle Unit, YJ, 1987-95
3. 4WD CV Rear Driveshaft, YJ, 1994-95 with over 3" of lift
4. 4WD Front Driveshaft, YJ, 1991-95
5. SYE not sure what one
6. M.O.R.E Steering Correction Kit STAGE ONE
7. M.O.R.E Traction Bar for Rear Axle
8. then the RE SOA and 4.5" with the tire and wheels at the same time

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">GEEZ, You rob a bank. Should be an awesome jeep when your done. Please Take pics.
jeepinarkansas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2002, 08:37 PM   #14
ScratchingWezel

No I am lucky and live at home and have a full time jos with no expenses. It will take a few mounths to get all of it. It will not be in the next week or 2. But do you think i will be able to put at least 36" tires on it if not bigger. And i was looking at <a href="http://128.121.255.231/" target="_blank">Currie Enterprise</a> and found a DANA 60 just as cheap so I will proble get that.
Unread 06-25-2002, 12:59 AM   #15
yjeep95

man...!! who are you working for?? also what kind of money are you making an hour. i need to get me a job like that!!!!
yjeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.