Soa? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soa?

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
cdywhitney24
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Soa?

I really want to lift my stock yj but I do not want to spend a ton of money. I am in school and work part time so I am on a tight budget. I have looked into the 4" rough country lifts but the reviews are horrible so I have started to look into the spring over axel and am really liking what I am seeing. I would like a 4"+ lift because I am going to put some 33"s on it. I am fairly certain I am going to go with the SOA.
Here are my questions:
1. Will I need a longer drive shaft?
2. Will I need extended brake lines?
3. I heard something about steering stabalization?
4. What shocks would you recoment?
5. Any other mods I will need to make?

cdywhitney24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdywhitney24
I really want to lift my stock yj but I do not want to spend a ton of money.

I am in school and work part time so I am on a tight budget.

I am fairly certain I am going to go with the SOA.
You are barking up the wrong tree. Seriously.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The typical correctly setup SOA costs $2000, give or take. Take some advice from a High School Jeeper, save your pennies.
Collin89Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
c_coops
1995 YJ Wrangler 

SOA definitely isn't the way to go if you're trying to do this on a budget. When I did it it cost me around ~$1200. That's without the new tires/wheels.
c_coops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Keep saving, buy a set of 2" BDS springs or 2.5" OME springs, buy the rest of your needed parts seperately, get a 1" body lift and call it good. You will easilly clear 33's like that. SOA is completely out of you're league at this point.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Go for it there will be plenty of people here to answer your questions and beat you up over your decision.You will need tools ,$ ,friend or 2,$,another friend or 2, $, .Check the soa parts sticky.whats your budget? I'm no expert on soa but if your looking for a dd jeep with a little lift just buy a sua lift and be done with it..You will be running down the road quicker. soa requires lots of shop time and fab work to reduce cost overall "build more spend less idea" Ask lots of questions ,spend lots of $,don't get upset when the replies are negative .Somewhere some one is doing a soa conversion,It may not be right,they may never finish it but there doing it.Good luck
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If I was starting from scratch and budget I would do a 2.5 lift, 1" body lift, 31-32" tires, and winch. This will start you with a very capable vehicle. When money permits look at a upgrading the rear axle, doing a tummy tuck and SYE. U-bolt flips would be a plus. This puts you into a good stance to go full LCOG rig. When you are ready for big 35"s, throw on some tube fenders and fix your bump stops and you are good to go.

The down side for you though is you have the I-4 so you will need a regear to run 33"+ tires. However, the idea it to spend a little along and along so you can afford to get quality parts in a way that you are actually building up your jeep. Not cutting corners here and there because you are on a budget but want it all at once. This will put you in disappointment with jeeps in general.
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post

agreed..... let me guess, one of your friends said it was 'easy' and he drives a civic?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
branjmb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

from what I have heard, I wouldn't do an SOA with anything smaller than 35's.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/broke-students-jeep-build-1264853/"]YJ BUILD THREAD/[/URL]
branjmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
JasonMiller
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Doesn't look cheap to me
Quote:
Ok, after many heated debates, at least 3 questions a week, and so on, here is what I used for the SOA conversion.
I run Old Man Emu springs, so they are quoted here, aswell as the 8.8 i have. If you have different axle/springs/shocks, I dont care, this is JUST A GUIDE for the guys that need a list to go off......
Not included are lockers, wheels/tires, upgrades to the front axle, the cost of an 8.8, and anything else not related to getting the jeep SOA.
This can't be said enough.....WELDING SKILLS ARE A MUST!!!!! If you cannot weld something thoroughly enough to be 100% safe onroad and off, do not do it!!!
Does everyone use the same parts? NO!
Can you make some of these parts yourself and save a few bucks? YES
Here is a rundown, with prices from the manufacturer.
For Mountain Offroad parts, i have had good luck with Northridge4x4.com. vendor for MORE, but cheaper prices.
M.O.R.E. Parts.
TB500 - Traction Bar $235
98103 - Front axle spring perches $45
98200 - Front axle shock mounts $12.50
98500 - 8.8 mounting kit (perches,shock mounts, u bolts) $137
SH300 - Front shock hoops/extenders $84
9950 - Rear shock extenders $84
LS9081 Boomerang shackles, 3/8" lift, 2 pair $170
11/16 x 18 weld in bungs and jam nuts for tie rod/drag link $57.50
SYE Kit @$200
4wd.com
695940 Extended brake line kit $75
JB4x4.com
SOA steering bracket $160
BDFAB.net
4 - J1R Old Man Emu springs $380
Local vendor
N8068s and N8071s front and rear skyjacker nitro shocks $140
Local vendor
DOM tubing for new draglink and tierod @$50
CV rear driveshaft, and lenghen front driveshaft if needed $??

Someone else add it all up, I'm tired now...
I run 37's on that combination, with the fenders trimmed and homemade tube fenders, no body lift.

martin
From this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...-guide-471769/
JasonMiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
cdywhitney24
1991 YJ Wrangler 

In the begining I wanted to do a 4'' rough country but after hearing these I dont think I want to do the SOA either. I would like to keep it under a thousand bucks for the lift. Anyone know a good product for under a thousand to give me a 4''+ lift?
cdywhitney24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdywhitney24 View Post
In the begining I wanted to do a 4'' rough country but after hearing these I dont think I want to do the SOA either. I would like to keep it under a thousand bucks for the lift. Anyone know a good product for under a thousand to give me a 4''+ lift?
In order for us to give you the proper advice you'll need to give us more info. What is your ultimate goal? What kind of wheeling will you be doing? What tire size do you want to run? Instead of settling on the amount of lift you want let's try to build around the main use of your jeep based off your budget, time, space and build plans.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdywhitney24 View Post
that will be hard, most will agree after 2.5 to 3" you will need things like SYE, maybe brake lines, longer shocks, etc....

to keep it simple and under a grand you could just replace the sprigns with some 2.5" OME or BDS springs, this you could prolly run the smae shocks, keeping in mind they wil be to short if you do off road it... tcase drop may be neeeded

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
agreed..... let me guess, one of your friends said it was 'easy' and he drives a civic?
hey, I drive a Civic

when i first got my jeep i had a couple people told me "all you have to do to lift it is switch the springs from under to over the axles, its so easy."

yeah right!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.