And so it starts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > And so it starts

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-31-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
dennis690
1992 YJ Wrangler 

And so it starts

Out wheeling a couple of weekends ago I broke a front axle. When I pulled it apart I discovered the ball joints were shot. So I said screw it and started the second round of mods to my heep today. For now I am going to keep the 2.5 and add
  • 4.88 gears
  • ARBs front and rear
  • New steering
  • Move front axle forward 1"
  • Shackle reversal
  • AX 15
  • Klune V
  • Tri-County Gear Inertia Ring
  • Move the mighty 2.5 forward to compinsate for the Klune
  • SYE
There is a raft of other crap that goes along with this but these are the high points. Does anyone have comments on a shackle reversal? I haven't permanently attached anything yet so can move it if its a bad idea.

Unread 09-01-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
bogger jeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i drove a friends yj that is an 89 and mine is an 89. his drove like a dream with the shackle reversal on it. been wanting to do mine but i'm going to do it when i change to a d-44 front axle. remember that now your axle will move back as it compresses so you may get a tire into a fender if not trimmed.
bogger jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
dennis690
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well it's almost done I'm just waiting for the drive shafts to show up and figured I would post an update. This took a hell of a lot longer than I expected it would but I ended up doing more and things happen but here's some pictures. One thing I didn't do was take alot of pictures.

Shackle reversal, shock hoops, moved the engine 8" forward and the axle about 2

Klune and AX 15

The inertia Ring

I bought a cage kit from S&W race cars. I made several changes and added a lot of tubing but didn't have to bend any.

Installed Mastercraft seats

Put the spare and highlift inside

Flat skid plate. I still need to cut it for the drive shaft.

Viair OBA. I put manual valves for the ARB too
Unread 08-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
dennis690
1992 YJ Wrangler 

too many pictures

Teraflex high steer kit

And the coolest thing. Home made highline fenders. I moved them up 3 1/4"

Maybe I can go wheeling next weekend instead of turning a wrench.
Unread 08-17-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
BiTMAP
1992 YJ Wrangler 

you have a writeup for your highline fenders? and some pictures of the inside of the engine bay. I've been thinking about doing this, i wanna see how it looks and changes the engine compartment. i'd be fabbing up flat fenders out of my fenders though, still gotta see it first right
BiTMAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
dennis690
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiTMAP View Post
you have a writeup for your highline fenders? and some pictures of the inside of the engine bay. I've been thinking about doing this, i wanna see how it looks and changes the engine compartment. i'd be fabbing up flat fenders out of my fenders though, still gotta see it first right
It was fairly simple to do. I just moved the fender up so that the lowest bolt hole matched the next one up. drilled new holes for the ones above it. Then made 2 vertical cuts to allow the core support to slip into the fenders. Then I formed the cut strip of the fender to the core support and drilled some new holes to bolt the fender to the core support. That moved the fender up 3 1/4 inches. I then marked and cut 3" off the hood. I will take some close up pictures tonight and post up.
Unread 08-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

That's the one thing I miss about YJ's..........so easy to work on.

Nice work bud.
Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
wranglerswrock
1993 YJ Wrangler 

everything you did is pretty awesome!

one thing thats really cool about all of this, is that people could look at your jeep and think to themselves, wow, nice jeep, but why does it look a little different? even some jeep guys wouldnt catch it right off the bat. almost stock looking, yet no stock at all. i think thats wicked
wranglerswrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #9
Jkanly

That cage with the tire in the back like that is killer! Got a pic of the side of the jeep? I'm planning on doing the same thing with the 8.8 and 2" extension up front
Jkanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #10
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

damn......I can hear it now, "babe, I broke a front axle, now I'm gonna need few new parts.......OK?"
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #11
dennis690
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiTMAP View Post
Ok, I hope you can see the cuts from these pictures. I also put some rubber door edging on the fender and hood cuts.

Need to cut the cowl/firewall lip and top lip of the fender

It kind of cramped the engine bay. I had to relocate the fuse box and cut 3" off the bottom of the air cleaner.

Unread 08-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
dennis690
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkanly View Post
That cage with the tire in the back like that is killer! Got a pic of the side of the jeep? I'm planning on doing the same thing with the 8.8 and 2" extension up front
Thanks!

Side shots

Unread 08-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
dennis690
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake989 View Post
damn......I can hear it now, "babe, I broke a front axle, now I'm gonna need few new parts.......OK?"
LMAO!! that's almost exactly what I said.
Unread 08-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #14
dennis690
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I drove the Jeep tonight for the first time in almost a year. Drove it about 5 miles, nothing fell off and everything seems to work. I still have a few things to finish up but still hope get out and wheel it this weekend. I'll post pictures of its maiden wheeling voyage.
Unread 08-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #15
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work! I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.