so im giving up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > so im giving up

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
mtn_wrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

so im giving up

with next weeks paycheck im going to drop my yj off at a shop and tell them to make it pass smog and run good. then im putting it up for sale. i love driving it but parts keep going out and its getting to the point that i just cant afford to keep fixing it. i love it to death but ive gotta move on. maybe later on ill get a 92ish. but for now once i sell it im getting a camaro. always wanted one so i figure no better time then when i sell this. so. it was great taking part in the yj crowd. ill stick around still and share my expiriences. and hey who knows. maybe ill find a newer one for a good price.

mtn_wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 01:52 AM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I suppose now, if I had to look for another YJ, I'd want a 95. Mainly since the body was galvanized, and it was the last year of the YJ. Besides, they had external slaves, etc.........I'm guessing in a while you'll be back with us on the YJ forum.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Acording to jp magazine, 87 was the first year for galvanization as I'm sure it is. I had an 86 CJ and I was constantly fighting rust, not so on my 87 still looks great for a 21 year old jeep. The thing with a YJ is that it shouldn't be anyone's DD, the newest ones are 13 years old now fixing to become 14 real soon. The oldest are 21, allmost 22 years old now. For a DD, I would move up to a newer TJ or a very low mileage YJ. Jeeps this old are great for playing with on the weekends, but not to depend on for work every day. I would sugest you get a good dependable ride and then maybe pick up a YJ sometime for a second car or for a toy like me. Just make sure you don't end up in the same boat with an old camaro.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
Acording to jp magazine, 87 was the first year for galvanization as I'm sure it is. I had an 86 CJ and I was constantly fighting rust, not so on my 87 still looks great for a 21 year old jeep. The thing with a YJ is that it shouldn't be anyone's DD, the newest ones are 13 years old now fixing to become 14 real soon. The oldest are 21, allmost 22 years old now. For a DD, I would move up to a newer TJ or a very low mileage YJ. Jeeps this old are great for playing with on the weekends, but not to depend on for work every day. I would sugest you get a good dependable ride and then maybe pick up a YJ sometime for a second car or for a toy like me. Just make sure you don't end up in the same boat with an old camaro.
Once again, JP mag was wrong (shocking I know). '95 was the first AND ONLY year for the YJ to be galvanized.

And I think your wrong about the DD part. Well maintained, these rigs work perfectly well for DD use. My wife drives my '89 to work EVERY DAY. Been doing that since I finished putting her togeather in april.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

From Wikpedia - bold emphasis from me......

The Jeep YJ, sold as the Wrangler, replaced the much-loved but slower-selling Jeep CJ in 1987 and was built in Brampton, Ontario, Canada until the plant closed on April 23, 1992. It was a new design with a wider wheelbase, slightly less ground clearance, a galvanized body and more comfort. The YJ also had a leaf spring suspension similar to that of the CJ, however, the springs were wider, and the YJs sported trackbars and swaybars for added handling. YJs are easily identifiable by their rectangular headlights, which were a source of controversy when introduced. Despite the new grill, the body is very similar to the CJ7's, and it is interchangeable with some minor modifications. Many CJ7 owners with a rusted body replace them with a newer YJ body, they are almost cosmetically identical and the lines from the nose match up perfectly. 632,231 YJs were built through model year 1995, though YJs were still produced into mid '96 bringing the total production number to 685,071 units.

The YJ used a 2.5 L AMC 150 I4 or optional 4.2 L AMC 258 I6 until 1991. That year, a fuel injected 180 hp (134 kW) 4.0 L AMC 242 variant replaced the 112 hp (84 kW) 4.2 L 258 CID straight-6. The NP207 transfer case was used only in 1987 and replaced by the NP231

The roll cage was extended in 1992 to allow for rear shoulder belts, and anti-lock brakes were added as an option the next year. An automatic transmission option for 4-cylinder Wranglers came in 1994 along with a center high-mounted stop light.

In 1994, the slave cylinder on manual transmissions was moved outside of the transmission's bellhousing to allow for easier replacement, and in 1995 larger U-joints were used.
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu1021 View Post
From Wikpedia - bold emphasis from me......

The Jeep YJ, sold as the Wrangler, replaced the much-loved but slower-selling Jeep CJ in 1987 and was built in Brampton, Ontario, Canada until the plant closed on April 23, 1992. It was a new design with a wider wheelbase, slightly less ground clearance, a galvanized body and more comfort. The YJ also had a leaf spring suspension similar to that of the CJ, however, the springs were wider, and the YJs sported trackbars and swaybars for added handling. YJs are easily identifiable by their rectangular headlights, which were a source of controversy when introduced. Despite the new grill, the body is very similar to the CJ7's, and it is interchangeable with some minor modifications. Many CJ7 owners with a rusted body replace them with a newer YJ body, they are almost cosmetically identical and the lines from the nose match up perfectly. 632,231 YJs were built through model year 1995, though YJs were still produced into mid '96 bringing the total production number to 685,071 units.

The YJ used a 2.5 L AMC 150 I4 or optional 4.2 L AMC 258 I6 until 1991. That year, a fuel injected 180 hp (134 kW) 4.0 L AMC 242 variant replaced the 112 hp (84 kW) 4.2 L 258 CID straight-6. The NP207 transfer case was used only in 1987 and replaced by the NP231

The roll cage was extended in 1992 to allow for rear shoulder belts, and anti-lock brakes were added as an option the next year. An automatic transmission option for 4-cylinder Wranglers came in 1994 along with a center high-mounted stop light.

In 1994, the slave cylinder on manual transmissions was moved outside of the transmission's bellhousing to allow for easier replacement, and in 1995 larger U-joints were used.

Being the Jeepforum Wiki Admin, I can tell you this. I have found at least 100 errors on jeep wiki sites(including JFwiki) over the last 9 months that I have been an admin, Including that error.

I asked the jeep engineers a few months back to confirm the specs for me and that wiki entry is wrong.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
fyrdriver
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just my opinion but a Camaro wont save you any money, I know first hand.

Although it makes my 2.5 alot more tolerable!
Keep the Jeep and get a DD, everyone needs a toy. You'll want something to wrench on right after you sell it. Also depending on what you get you may have to repeat the same things you have already completed on your current project.
My 2 cents.
fyrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
_JEEP_
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
The thing with a YJ is that it shouldn't be anyone's DD, the newest ones are 13 years old now fixing to become 14 real soon. The oldest are 21, allmost 22 years old now. For a DD, I would move up to a newer TJ or a very low mileage YJ.
NO!! my yj is an 89 its my dailydriver. I drive to work, school, girlfreinds house yes some things to need to get replaced but i love mine to death and so far its held up years with me. And are 95 yj body's really galvanised? becasue i got a 95 tub in my backward on primer. Im now wondering if i shouldnt throw it on the jeep.
_JEEP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i feel ya, im probley going to sell mine soon as well. Dont have the money and time to dump into it.
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
mtn_wrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrdriver View Post
Just my opinion but a Camaro wont save you any money, I know first hand.

Although it makes my 2.5 alot more tolerable!
Keep the Jeep and get a DD, everyone needs a toy. You'll want something to wrench on right after you sell it. Also depending on what you get you may have to repeat the same things you have already completed on your current project.
My 2 cents.
im using the money from my yj to get a 4th gen camaro. ideally i want to get a 68 camaro and rebuild it in which case you are right. ill just be dumping money into that instead but with a 4th gen ill probably keep it mostly stock.
Unread 09-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
mtn_wrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

so of course naturally since ive decided to sell my jeep i figured out why the engine was running so badly and fixed it. turned out to be the fuel filter
Unread 09-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

Camaro's aren't really known for their gas mileage if thats what your going for. Here's ours, the first one is out side our shop, the second one is the not finished product.
The cool thing about this camaro is the story behind it. It was orginally my moms FIRST car back in 1970 and in 89 her and my dad sold it to an employee because there were kids on the way (ME!!! lol) and my family always has TOOO many toys. So when my sister turned sixteen and got her license she wanted a classic car that we could restore. Surprisingly we actually found the exact same camaroin 04 from the same employee that had just moved back to el paso from denver. Yea there was rust, had to replace the WHOLE top and when we did that we just went hard top instead of the "soft top".

Also like the text on the pic says pimp my ride, we actually submitted it to the show but quickly withdrawled our submission because they would ruin it with chrome crap.
So theres my two cents and one of our toys.
'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
neatocj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #13
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

wendell theres no point in putting an age on jeeps I drive a 81 cj, anything that is any fun is old and needs work. Thats the way I look at it, I say if money is the problem try and keep it and get back to it later. But if you don't want to actually WORK ON IT, your in the wrong vehicle.
'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
neatocj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
mtn_wrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatocj View Post
Camaro's aren't really known for their gas mileage if thats what your going for. Here's ours, the first one is out side our shop, the second one is the not finished product.
The cool thing about this camaro is the story behind it. It was orginally my moms FIRST car back in 1970 and in 89 her and my dad sold it to an employee because there were kids on the way (ME!!! lol) and my family always has TOOO many toys. So when my sister turned sixteen and got her license she wanted a classic car that we could restore. Surprisingly we actually found the exact same camaroin 04 from the same employee that had just moved back to el paso from denver. Yea there was rust, had to replace the WHOLE top and when we did that we just went hard top instead of the "soft top".

Also like the text on the pic says pimp my ride, we actually submitted it to the show but quickly withdrawled our submission because they would ruin it with chrome crap.
So theres my two cents and one of our toys.
its not just the gas mileage on this thing that is killing me. its the parts that keep breaking. i cant keep up with it anymore. plus the newer camaros still get better mileage than my yj.
Unread 09-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #15
fyrdriver
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you made up your mind but, remember you'll be wrenching on the 68 too. So just decide what you want as a toy a 4X4 or Camaro. Get the reliable transportation you want then get/keep the toy.
fyrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.