So I'm getting ready to replace the flywheel... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So I'm getting ready to replace the flywheel...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 11-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #16
AnonymousD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ill never buy a reman starter from anywhere again. I was changing the one on my Mustang and I had it in 1st gear since my e-brake didnt work. I had it all hooked up, went to hook the battery up, the starter started turning over as soon as I hooked up the battery. The key wasnt even in the ignition. It jumped off the jack stands, ruined them, then almost hit my house. The hood flew down when it fell, so I had to run and open the door and pull it out if gear, then pop the hood and pull the battery cable. The solenoid was bad.

AnonymousD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 02:48 AM   #17
Bedlam_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do you think I can still return the Advance starter without any problems? I've had it in the Jeep for 2 days now.
Bedlam_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #18
fwb35
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You think thats bad, I had my first jeep for 2 weeks and the slave went out, it is internal, I went to Advance and bought a complete clutch kit, I dropped my entire drive train and replaced everything. Two weeks later the slave started leaking again, I pulled the drive train again and got another from Advance, guess what, in one week it started leaking. At this point I am really pissed and start doing research, I found out the company that makes the Advance slave cylinders is called Perfection, well they are not!! I did some more research and found out from the guys here on the forum that you want to get a factory made slave, they work the best, more research, my parts guy at Fishers found out that Federal Mogul was the original maker of the slave cylinders for the jeeps, he found one for me, was more expensive but I could tell the difference in quality right away, I put it in and no problems since. If it ever goes bad again I will convert to external slave. In short, buy good quality parts, Advance is cheap for a reason, it is ok to buy certain things there but Advance cares about making money, not quality parts.
fwb35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam_YJ View Post
Do you think I can still return the Advance starter without any problems? I've had it in the Jeep for 2 days now.
You shouldn't have any problems taking it back with the receipt.

Just say it didn't fit right.
Unread 11-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #20
95Turtle
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just tell Advance the starter didn't work. I got a fuel pump from them once and after putting it in it sounded like it was about to explode. I took it out and took it back to Advance. Advance (around here at least) will ALWAYS try to exchange it for a new one, and they might fight you on this a little bit. Ask for the manager and tell them you want your money back, not a new starter. If you are persistent they will give it to you. Then go get a new starter from NAPA. I never buy anything from Advance anymore.
95Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #21
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The 87 Wrangler is a special case. I have been through 2 ring gears and 3 starters figuring this out. The starter for the 87 has a slightly larger Bendix housing then the rest of the 6 cyl starters. Larger by a small fraction of an inch but noticible to the naked eye if they are sitting side by side. You can also see it if you look at the Bendix housing compared to the drive housing (I wish I had pictures) as the drive housing wil be slightly smaller.

Advance and the Zoo (Auto Zone) are selling the wrong starter for the 87.
They won't listen to me either.

The simple solution is like mylightsrsquare has stated and push against the starter to get it to engage the flywheel right. I think of it as pushing it towards the center of the engine block - or upwards at a 45deg angle towards the block.

Put some correctly sized lockwashers on the bolts and they will stay put.

HTH
Z

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #22
Bedlam_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think I've figured out what is causing the issue. I was at Wally-World a minute ago and the Jeep would not start at all. Starter was spinning up, but there was no contact with the flywheel. Pulled out my workmats, crawled under, and noticed the bottom starter bolt was extremely loose. Turns out that the threads in the bottom bolt-hole are completely shot and trying to start the Jeep torques the starter out of position.

I'm going to drill out the back of the bottom bolt hole in the bell housing and throw a longer bolt on there with a nut/lock washer on the back. I think that should work holding the starter in place while it's trying to turn the flywheel, right? It's either that, or buy a new bell housing (which I don't want to do)

What about throwing a bottle jack under the starter to get it to fit snugly? Obviously I'm not going to apply a ton of force to it, but just enough to where it gives me the 'push' on the starter I need while bolting it back in.
Bedlam_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #23
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, a longer bolt and nut will do the trick.
Make sure you have lock washers on both bolts.

The jack won't be necessary.
Once you get the bolt in and finger tight, loosen them ever so slightly (just enough to allow the starter to wiggle) and then hold against the starter like you were trying to shove it into the block. Tighten the bolts while holding the starter and you should be golden. You may have to get help if you don't have that third arm.

Z

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
flywheel , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.