So I'm getting ready to replace the flywheel... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So I'm getting ready to replace the flywheel...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Bedlam_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So I'm getting ready to replace the flywheel...

I've been having this problem for about a month now. I'm having what seems to be best described as the starter not engaging the flywheel. When you turn the key, it sounds as if the starter is freely spinning. If you keep turning the key, and stopping (but keep doing it), eventually the starter catches the flywheel and makes the horrible "gravel in starter" sound and starts. Sounds fine while running. The teeth look fine to me, but then again, I'm not exactly sure what normal wear on the teeth should look like.

I'm trying to narrow down the problem. Someone says to me that it might be that the flywheel is cracked. So I went and bought a new flywheel this morning just in case. Should I check the starter before dropping the tranny?

Also, since the clutch is still under 70K miles, should I replace that as well if I do have to replace the flywheel?

Bedlam_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would def check the starter before dropping the tranny. I think Autozone will still check starters for free if you take them off and bring it in.
Unread 11-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Bedlam_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What would cause the starter to not catch the flywheel? There are no shims from what I can tell. I did have a problem a while back where the lower starter bolt threads in the bolt hole were bad, so I threw a longer bolt in and passed the bad threads. The "gravel in the starter" sound stopped for about a week after that. And now the starter doesn't seem to catch anymore. If that's what the problem really is.
Unread 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Harco
1987 YJ Wrangler 

seems to be going around

There seem to be numerous starter/ring gear problems with the 87'.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...-gear-1127442/
Harco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Don't overlook a few simple things. Make sure your starter is bolted in tightly, and not loose. You may have to get a wrench on the bolts to be able to tell if they're loose. Best to disconnect the neg term on your battery before you do this. It could also be missing shims on your starter that have it mis aligned.
Next, consider your "starter drive." Old folks know this as a "Bendix," it is a throwout for the gear on the starter which lets it engage into the ring gear on the flywheel.
Next, how about your starter solenoid--it has to engergize to make the bendix/starter drive throw out/move.

Look at the starter first before you worry about your flywheel. It isn't likely the flywheel.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
Bedlam_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harco View Post
There seem to be numerous starter/ring gear problems with the 87'.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...-gear-1127442/
I wasn't aware that the problem was this common. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Don't overlook a few simple things. Make sure your starter is bolted in tightly, and not loose. You may have to get a wrench on the bolts to be able to tell if they're loose. Best to disconnect the neg term on your battery before you do this. It could also be missing shims on your starter that have it mis aligned.
Next, consider your "starter drive." Old folks know this as a "Bendix," it is a throwout for the gear on the starter which lets it engage into the ring gear on the flywheel.
Next, how about your starter solenoid--it has to engergize to make the bendix/starter drive throw out/move.

Look at the starter first before you worry about your flywheel. It isn't likely the flywheel.
I didn't notice any shims or anything that resembled shims when I took it off. I read the thread that Harco posted above and it looks like that may be my starting point if this occurs again. Any suggestions on where to get starter shims?

I didn't get a chance to run to the auto store to have the starter tested, but I suspect your diagnosis is right: the starter is the problem. I've noticed some north/south play in the bendix gear which leads me to believe the bearings are bad. I'll have to take the starter to the auto store tomorrow and see what they think.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Unread 11-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The bendix is probably shot; you need to get the starter checked out before you go any further.
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castr8r View Post
The bendix is probably shot; you need to get the starter checked out before you go any further.
X2 Your flywheel is fine.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Taking out the starter will also give you a nice visual of the ring gear/flywheel.
Dis-connect your battery, take the starter out, visual the flywheel, check all your connections, if all looks ok, you should really consider a new starter or bendix as mentioned. Again, dis-connect the battery terminal before removing the starter. You could have the starter bench tested, but if it is not bench tested under a load, which they are usually not, then it is not really an accurate test. Also, reman Autozone starters have been known to not work right, right out of the box, ask me how I know. Good luck.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #10
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i had this problem, i took the started out. it test fine. when i put it back in i pushed it towards the flywheel then bolted it in and now it works without grinding
Unread 11-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
1tuffyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
Taking out the starter will also give you a nice visual of the ring gear/flywheel.
Dis-connect your battery, take the starter out, visual the flywheel, check all your connections, if all looks ok, you should really consider a new starter or bendix as mentioned. Again, dis-connect the battery terminal before removing the starter. You could have the starter bench tested, but if it is not bench tested under a load, which they are usually not, then it is not really an accurate test. Also, reman Autozone starters have been known to not work right, right out of the box, ask me how I know. Good luck.
reman autozone ANYTHING right outta the box is known to do this, which is why i no longer go there 4 anything but oil n filters. i got smart n go straight to napa. pay a little more, get what u pay for.
Unread 11-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
dprg644
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRYDE001 View Post
I would def check the starter before dropping the tranny. I think Autozone will still check starters for free if you take them off and bring it in.
They will, had to have mine checked today...it was bad. Put a new starter on and it works like a champ.
dprg644 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #13
Bedlam_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well, turns out it was the bendix on the old starter. The bearings were bad after all. Unfortunately, I picked up the REMAN starter from Advance without checking here first (bad idea, right?). The noise is still there at the end of the crank cycle just before the engine starts up. A shim did not help, in fact, it made it worse. It came off right away after that.

Think I can take it back and get the Napa one? Or is advance gonna give me a hard time and force me to buy a second starter? Which one from Napa should I get?
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i have the advanced reman starter, when you put it in you HAVE to push it against the flywheel as you are tightening the bolts. it really does work, just make sure you hold/push it as close to the flywheel as possible when you are tightening the bolts.
Unread 11-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
Hillbilly Jeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i dont buy starters at advance ANYMORE... i have been threw 5 of the remans ..which i think ruined my flywheel.. so i replaced the while clutch, clutch line and all, brand new flywheel.. and actually the new napa starter isnt really all that much more than the reman... and i can tell the differance between the reman starter start up and and new starter start up
Hillbilly Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
flywheel , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.