So im doing a lower end rebuild on a 4.2l, I forgot how it goes back together... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So im doing a lower end rebuild on a 4.2l, I forgot how it goes back together...

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
npa4863
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So im doing a lower end rebuild on a 4.2l, I forgot how it goes back together...

So im doing a lower end rebuild on a 4.2l, i for got how it gose back together... im mostly wondering about the cam... theres that bolt with the spring and pin that bolts to the cam shaft, is there a replacement part for that bolt? and is there sapost to be a washer or something on that? i think the pin and or spring may be worn out theres evidence of the cam trying to pop out... unless im missing somthing i never took the cam out just the timing gears and crank but that was last year and i forgot how it went...

img-20121106-00239.jpg  

Last edited by npa4863; 11-06-2012 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: needs pictures! lol
npa4863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
instg8tor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The pin lightly pushes against the timing chain cover. You need the washer in the photo too - there might be small grooves in the washer - or maybe its in the cam sproket, don't remember. But unless you really cleaned everything there should be markings on the backside of the cam washer. It needs to go against the sproket.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.