So I think I drove my YJ w/out oil... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So I think I drove my YJ w/out oil...

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 07-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
RockShoxTora
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I think I drove my YJ w/out oil...

But seriously I have no idea or how long.
Pulled into a parking lot today coming back from a July 4th trip to grab some food.
30 min later I go back to my car to find a decently sized puddle of oil under it.
I inspected my engine and discovered my oil pressure sender had started leaking. A lot.
I checked the dip stick which registered no oil, although there had to be some in there only because it was leaking out the sender when I pulled in.
Bought a new sender and 3 qts of 10w-40. Filled up. Didn't have any unusual sounds. No clunks, pings, or clanks. Just the typical diesel tick of my valves.
Drove home about 90mi with no notable misbehavior of the engine of loss of power. It felt fine.
Got home, examined the engine once more for leaks. It may seem a tad bit noiser, but I think thats just me over thinking because of todays events. It's nothing that sounds detrimental or worries me.
Anything I should be concerned about or does it sound like I got pretty lucky?

-Trail-Gear Bumper and Tire Swing-Out
-31" BFG M/Ts KM
Square Headlights Member #751
RockShoxTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like your very LUCKY!
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just wait until it happens to you a second time, you will want to jam a bolt in the engine block just to do away with the potential engine destroying sending unit garbage. I switched to a mechanical gauge and will never go back to sending units..Period. Your only concern is catching on time the next time it happens.
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You know you drive a YJ when, you drive it with out oil and don't tear it up.
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
RockShoxTora
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So the general consensus I'm picking up is that if it survived the 90mi drive home with no grenading/seizing/clanking I should be alright?
-31" BFG M/Ts KM
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and if you bought your sending unit from Autozone, or equivalent for 30 something bucks, don't be surprised if the sending unit pops again within 3 months or so. (Ask me how I know). But don't worry, they have a lifetime warrentee that will replace that sending unit for free, even if you have to bolt it to a seized engine block, they will give you another sending unit with a smile.
If you are intent on retaining the sending unit, the only thing I might suggest is try to get one from a dealership, or a good quality one somewhere. I can mention however, I am seeing a trend of dealerships dealing in garbage parts now-a-days however. So good luck, hope this does not seem too cynical, I just have disdain for something that almost destroyed my engine, twice.
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

You are one of those guys who understands what it means to drive a YJ. You are careful and pay good attention to what is going on with your vehicle. I have driven vehicles that got low on oil, I knew it while driving because I hear noises and I watch gauges, sounds like you are the same way. I obviously can't say whether there was damage or not, but it sounds like you caught it at the right time and made the right decision to err on the side of caution, good job and I hope it all works out. You got it back safely, now time to check it out and see if there is any damage.
Unread 07-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #8
RockShoxTora
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ps, I only added 3qts and that put me at the exact same level or higher then when I add 4qts during an oil change. I basically caught my engine running on 1qt.
-31" BFG M/Ts KM
Unread 07-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #9
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I discovered mine was running on less than half a quart of oil a few weeks back, and it was black as night.

I'm keeping careful watch over it now. My sending unit doesn't leak, however the PCV and other msc valves on the valve cover are leaking like mad...

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If you lost all oil pressure, your lifters would have collapsed and been extremely loud, no way you would have missed it.

With as little as 1.5 qts of oil in your engine, you would still have lubrication. Don't worry about it.
Unread 07-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
JMAC90YJ

1990 YJ Wrangler 

pcv leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I discovered mine was running on less than half a quart of oil a few weeks back, and it was black as night.

I'm keeping careful watch over it now. My sending unit doesn't leak, however the PCV and other msc valves on the valve cover are leaking like mad...
I just had leaks from my pcv, oil filler cap and the emissions filter, New grommets fro Q-Tec and new filler cap and it all went awaysee old grommet and new one.
0701111757.jpg  
JMAC90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #12
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There really isn't much more you can do other than to drive it and watch it. I would change the oil and filter, though.
nzpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you're fine to me. My mom has a '92 cherokee and I swear that thing runs on maybe 3 quarts or oil at any given time. Every time I check it I put about 3 quarts or more. Generally when it starts knocking a little that means it needs some more oil. Somehow it keeps running. The 4.0L is a tough motor and it can handle a lot of abuse but just keep an eye on it like you have. I have never let mine get as bad as bad as mom's but I'm a stickler for keeping my vehicles healthy.

Like said above, I'd give it a fresh oil change and call it good. As for the sending unit, I've never had a problem with my Autozone one but everyone has different experiences. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
troy.j
1999 TJ Wrangler 

lucky

...ask those who have bled of the cost of freedom and honor those who gave that others may have what we take for granted...
troy.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #15
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Last time Iwas at the U-pull it I grabbed a couple of sender units and threw them in the tool box for instant on hand spares. I am pretty sure they are oem items not cheap crap. One has been working fine for 3 years todate.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.