so confused on lifting my yj. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > so confused on lifting my yj.

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
wranglertec

so confused on lifting my yj.

My goal is to put 33/12.50/15s on my YJ. . right now I have a zone 1 1/4 inch body lift installed. In my shop I have a set of 1/2 boomerangs shackles.that in theory = 1 3/4. If I add a 2 1/2 suspension lift it in theory is 4 1/4. Or should I just get a 4 inch suspension lift and remove the body lift. I'm looking for a decent ride also. Yes I know with the 4 inch I'm gonna have to do the HD slip yoke and drive at the same time. And yes like most people on a budget. Thanks

wranglertec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you're looking for a decent ride then be selective with which springs you choose. If I may make a suggestion, you can't go wrong with old man emu inserted in your current plan. Everything pans out on paper and I have seen enough of these lifts go on to know that depending on how much you flex it, you may need some fender clearance with TJ flares. These springs are tip top.
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
wranglertec

I just read an article in JP magazine where they did a 4 inch rough country 4 inch suspension lift and did the TJ flares for added clearance. I'll look at the ome lift.
wranglertec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Skip the rough country, it is nothing but a pain. Literally. Ordering your springs piecemeal from quadratec (free shipping for forum members) will keep you on budget. The 36R springs are the best of the bunch from what I have seen. I have installed two sets of them myself and have another couple of friends close to me who run them. I'm quite impressed with their performance.
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Skip the rough country, it is nothing but a pain. Literally. Ordering your springs piecemeal from quadratec (free shipping for forum members) will keep you on budget. The 36R springs are the best of the bunch from what I have seen. I have installed two sets of them myself and have another couple of friends close to me who run them. I'm quite impressed with their performance.

NO RC!!!
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes go ome, that's what I have and let me tell you, ride great and won't stop flexing. Don't go with rc, they are probably one of the worst springs out there,

Sent from Peggy's office
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Have to agree with the others who have responded thus far. Go with the best spring and shocks and your ride will be great. If you do not have the money yet, wait. It will be worth the wait I assure you. I am running Rubicon express springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks and I am very happy with the ride. Do it right the first time!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do what Anticanman said. I did and am very happy. He is right about ordering them piecemeal from Quadratec. Contact Quadratec (vendor) through the forum and he will give you a promocode to enter when you place your order. That will get you free shipping. Really saves some bucks.
The code will be yours as long as you are active with Quadratec and Jeepforum. I personally like Quadratec. I order most everything from them and they help support our forum.

Like people are saying, avoid Rough country. Just like the name says, they ride rough. My friend has Rough Country springs and his wife and daughter always ride with me because his Jeep rides terrible! We went out yesterday. After 15 minutes he flagged me down, and as usual, they ran toward my Jeep with the softer OME springs.
I got about 3" of lift from the OME springs. I used the OME bushings too. Don't forget about bushings and sleeves for the new springs.
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Go with OME or BDS. Here's a really old pic of mine on 2" BDS springs with TJ flares, and 33's.........

timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's mine, OME, one inch lift shackles, and 33's.

Sent from Peggy's office
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
dex3361
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I put a 4 inch lift on my 95 YJ and went with RC and the ride seems fine to me and my wife actually said it rode better than before adding the lift. I have only had the lift installed for a few months so I guess time will tell.
dex3361 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My friends family enjoyed riding in his Rough Country equipped Jeep too.

Until they rode on OME and Bilstein...
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas
My friends family enjoyed riding in his Rough Country equipped Jeep too.

Until they rode on OME and Bilstein...
That's sig worthy. Lolol

Sent from Peggy's office
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

OME is good to go, if you can deal with the small lift.
I'm running BDS, and my buddy is too after riding in my YJ.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Another vote for OME. I love the on road manners and the off road flex is really quite impressive for a 2.5" lift. While I'm only running 31's, with the 1.5" body lift I have and the OME suspension lift, I could fit 32's, and maybe 33's with factory flares.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.