Smoother ride? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Smoother ride?

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 11-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
91whiteYJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Smoother ride?

Ok, I've read a few posts about how to make my ride smoother, removing track bars seems to be a favorite, I can't seem to find how much I should torque my shackle bolts to? I know that Jeeps don't ride smooth, but stuff will go flying if I hit even small bumps. My lowered Dakota rides smoother than this and it only has a few inches of suspension travel, any help would be great
Thanks all

02 TJ
(I'll fill this in another time)
91whiteYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
Drparj
2001 WJ 

same here, would like a slightly softer ride for such a new car well 2001. But you hit little bump and its like going offroading so stiff
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

a lubricated and functioning track bar wont create a harsher ride. it really only limits off road flex but not small amounts of axle movement.

number one offender is frozen spring bushings. the bolt and sleeve can rust together. when the rust "grows" it binds up the bushing itself. pull everything apart and make sure everything is free to move and grease liberally. allot of people say to leave the shackle bolts loose. this is not proper. if designed properly you should be able to torque them down fully and still be able to move freely. the movement should take place between the bushing sleeve and the rubber/poly bushing, not the metal sleeve and the bolt. guaranteed someone wont read this and will advise to only torque them down to 35 lbs in the next couple of posts.

shocks can be harsh as well. most off road shocks are designed for a wide variety of applications and tend to be a bit stiff for light weight jeeps. take one or more off and drive around the block you will feel a difference. 5150 light valved are very smooth.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
PanthrosRevenge
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure Haynes says shackle bolts get torqued to 95 ft/lbs and frame bolts to 105 ft/lbs. Definitely check your bushings and grease em to allow fluid movement. Also, try playing around with tire pressure.
31X10.5X15 Hitech AT's
2.5" Rubicon Express SD Lift
Midland CB w/ 4' Firestik II
PanthrosRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
mdo817
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Torque specs above are correct.
1992 YJ, Project In Work,Frame Off Done, Repainted, Herculined Interior, Back on the road.Self Fab'd front/rear bumpers & tire carrie,MM SE9500,lot's of Susp. 1" BDL,BrandonYJ Boomerangs, 33X10.5 BFG M/T, 4.0 AX-15,8.8 LSD,4.10 Gears, ARB Up Front,P/S Rocker Knockers with slider. 90 YJ now turned into a parts Jeep.
2006 WK 4X4, Wifes Ride (Grandkid hauler)
1995 YJ,4.0, AX-15, Bone Stock Wifes Toy
mdo817 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #6
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep goes far above the need torque for the shackles.

Torque them 45 ft lbs front and rear, 60 main bolts.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.