Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

smoking engine

627 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  CanukYJ 
#1 ·
hey, everytime it rains and i drive my jeep for any amount of time, a few seconds after i shut it off smoke will start billowing out of the grill... im thinking its just rain hitting the engine block or something hot in the compartment, but how is it getting in there? is this normal for jeeps? my jeep is a 95, and it may be running a little hot, it drives around 210 degrees with the heat on, is that normal? thanks

#3 ·
Check your coolant levels. A pinhole leak in the rad or a rad hose will cause that to happen. It won't be noticeable when you drive around because the fan is sucking in enough air to hide it, but when stopped the steam now can freely come out the front.

My jeep used to do it after any cooling system work I would do because there's always residual left on the rad or on the block that spilled out, the coolant brings it's boiling temp up which means it will take twice as long to boil away and dry up. Also due to the coolant it will make nice white smoke\steam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.