Smoke under the hood - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Smoke under the hood

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-28-2001, 03:07 PM   #1
Brendan

Smoke under the hood

I know that sounds stupid, but I don't have a clue what it could be. I don't think I'm burning oil. I just cleaned my valve cover and put a new gasket in. What else could it Be?

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2001, 03:25 PM   #2
Big92Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you just repalce your valve cover gasket it could be residue on the manifold. I bet is smells good . If you can't find it clean your engine with some degreaser (gunk) and then look for leaks.

~Rick
Unread 11-30-2001, 08:31 AM   #3
glm 87 wrangler

Just make sure it does not smell like wires!
Mine caught fire one time! Dont know what happen just cost 300 bucks to rewire.
Unread 12-04-2001, 05:24 PM   #4
Morgster

Here's an idea...If you have a stock air cleaner setup, look inside to see if oil is backing up inside. Some times the pcv and hose gets plugged and oil blow by builds here and eventually drips down on to the manifold or exhaust, causing a burning smell that drives you nuts. If you have this problem, start the motor, remove the pcv valve, spray it out with gumout and spray inside the hose going to the base of the carb to clean out the small orifice inside the hose. This will allow proper vacuum in this hose, make the pcv valve work properly, eliminate oil into the air cleaner, stop the dripping, and remove the smell. Have fun looking.. Mike
Morgster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.