Smoke Under the Hood - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Smoke Under the Hood

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Smoke Under the Hood

I don't have my YJ on the road yet, but I start it in the garage about once a week and let it run for a while. Usually, when I shut it down after letting it run for about 15 mins, I can notice some white smoke coming out from around/under the intake manifold and have a heavy smell of exhaust fumes. I have to assume the smoke is coming from the exhaust manifold beneath the intake, but I can't see from where exactly. Today, I let it run for a bit longer than usual. After about 20 mins or so, the fumes in the garage were fairly strong, so I shut it down and checked out under the hood. The white smoke was coming from the same area, but also from around the water pump. It looked as if it were coming from where the lower radiator hose attaches to the pump (of course that doesn't make any sense to me). I know there is a very slight leak of coolant around the thermostat gasket (PO didn't seal it well).

So, I guess my questions are revolving around the smoke. Has anyone else had these experiences, or know where I should start looking for a solution? There is no smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, only under the hood. And both locations smoke for several minutes after I shut the engine off. Thanks guys!

89WhyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You are running this thing with the garage door open........... right??

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
mbates96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

so i had two smoking situations. I had a wire loom that started to melt by touching the to close to the intake/exhaust manifolds - easy to find. Also I had some sticker/tape residue on my new exhaust and that would smoke once it heated and up and it would come up all over the place in the engine bay
mbates96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You do let it sit for long periods of time it sounds like. To be a little candid here, and throw out a possibility, maybe a small critter, or critters are/have crawled up in there somewhere, and nesting material, and now they are crispy critters. (Just a possibility)
Unread 04-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You are running this thing with the garage door open........... right??
Definitely.

I hadn't thought about the critter issue, but its basically been garage bound for the past 1.5 years. I'll have to check to see if there is anything too close to the manifold getting burned/melted.
Unread 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
danthman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

try reving it up to see if it clears. if you have a high mile engine it could be just oil buildup burning off or maybe just running alittle rich. now did you happen to smell a sweet smell other than the exhaust? that would be coolant steaming off of something...
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

White smoke or steam? Coolant leak onto the manifold would look like white smoke and show up after running the engine up to temp. Any drips anywhere?
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthman
try reving it up to see if it clears. if you have a high mile engine it could be just oil buildup burning off or maybe just running alittle rich. now did you happen to smell a sweet smell other than the exhaust? that would be coolant steaming off of something...
X2...my yj has been sitting and any type of oil leak from the valve cover will burn off and smoke. Mine burnt off for a while until I changed valve cover gaskets and cleaned everything up. Exhaust smell might seem strong just because you are running it in your garage even with the door open

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum
Unread 04-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
doherty80
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i would say start with one thing at a time. drain the coolant and fix your radiator hoses and the thermastat housing gasket. thats a 20 dollar fix. then after that sitution is cleared the smoke from the linking thermostat wont be throwing off your view of whatever is going on around your intake.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
doherty80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
sacrifice
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doherty80
i would say start with one thing at a time. drain the coolant and fix your radiator hoses and the thermastat housing gasket. thats a 20 dollar fix. then after that sitution is cleared the smoke from the linking thermostat wont be throwing off your view of whatever is going on around your intake.
QFT. Get that fixed and go from there. I would give the bay a good look from all sides and angles to see if there is anything strange. If nothing give it a good cleaning, watch your electronics. See where that gets you
sacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good point guys. Since it has that plastic valve cover, the gasket was leaking. I fixed that (as good as can be done) and I thought all the oil had burned off by now...but maybe not. I'll take care of the thermostat leak and then look for oil leaking onto the manifold. I was just worried there could be something else (much worse) possibly going on there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.