smog pump compressor for onboard air? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > smog pump compressor for onboard air?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 04-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

smog pump compressor for onboard air?

i really would like to make myself an onboard air compressor from an A/C compressor, but i dont know what i did with the one i pulled from my truck. However i found a smog pump that is used to pump fresh air into the exhaust. Does anyone know if this would have enough psi to bother converting, or what the duty cycle would be, i imagine its 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No it won't work because it won't create much pressure and it won't provide much CFM either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitdwnandhngon View Post
i really would like to make myself an onboard air compressor from an A/C compressor, but i dont know what i did with the one i pulled from my truck. However i found a smog pump that is used to pump fresh air into the exhaust. Does anyone know if this would have enough psi to bother converting, or what the duty cycle would be, i imagine its 100%.
Unread 04-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thats what i was afraid of. So does anyone know of york (thats the kind with and oil resivoir right?) i can find that might bolt right up to the 258 engine. Something from a ford maybe.

Quote:
4.2 has 0.2 more!
Unread 05-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Minister
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you have the 258, go out and look for a AMC Pacer or an AMC Eagle with AC, they have the York compressor, you'll need the compressor, the bracket, pulleys and maybe the alternator mount, I don't remember excacty all the parts, but compare between your jeep and the donor what you are missing, then pull what you need..

"Before beginning a Hunt, it is wise to know what you are looking for before you begin looking for it."
Winnie-the-Pooh
Minister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

awesome, i forgot all about this thread, good info thanks.

Quote:
4.2 has 0.2 more!
Unread 05-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Minister
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No problem, If I remember it right, you'll need the thermostat housing on the donor car too.

"Before beginning a Hunt, it is wise to know what you are looking for before you begin looking for it."
Winnie-the-Pooh
Minister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.