Smog pump? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Smog pump?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #16
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

alright thanks! haha i might have to try that technique... but yeah as for the problems that you did see improve, all of those are things that my jeep struggles with...
Oh and i dont have the fuel injection, so i dont know if the "shotgun technique" will work with mine...? im a little confused by your process.. so:
1. I put it in like 4 low, and first gear (is that what you mean by low range?)
2. While leaving the clutch out and the gear in first gear 4 low, i hit the starter without touching the gas....
And thats it? or what do you mean? haha....

Thanks again guys, and i think i am going to get the howell bypass kit... it sounds like it will work wonders! my jeep has issues.. and once i rebuild it if i throw this on it then it will run way good! haha...
Thanks again, i appreciate it!

()_)=o()_)=o=)_)__-_-__-__-_-___
jeep_maniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 03:54 AM   #17
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI,
Yep, you have it. I have also used shotgun starting with my carbed Jeep and it worked but not as well. My carb was just not as reliable during starting as the Howell fuel injection. Try it and see if it works for you. You can try it anytime as long as you on dirt. If your carb starts pretty well it should work OK.

One warning. Shotgun starting is hard on starters. When I saw that I was going to use this technique a lot after I got the injection system, I replaced the starter with a Mean Green heavy duty starter. This thing is a monster and handles the task easily. I suggest that you do this. My stock starter never failed but I was afraid it would.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #18
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

alright good thing to know!im not sure if ill use this technique or not then... haha.
thanks guys, i appreciate all of your help with this topic! im going to get one eventually...! haha.
so how hard is it to install these efi kits?
thanks again!
()_)=o()_)=o=)_)__-_-__-__-_-___
jeep_maniack is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.