Smog pump? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Smog pump?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Smog pump?

Hey guys I was wondering.... How can i tell if my jeep has a smog pump? Or can you tell me right off?

My jeep is a 5 speed carbureted 4.2 liter straight six with the stock intake,
1989 yj wrangler...
What else do you need to know?
Thanks!

()_)=o()_)=o=)_)__-_-__-__-_-___
jeep_maniack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Living_High
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The '89 I-6 did not have a smog pump, it used the air pulse system instead. Look at the top rear of your valve cover. You should see a bank of three solenoids on a bracket. Also, on the passenger side, there will be two largish tubes that connect to the air filter and then connecting to the exhaust.

I did the Howell upgrade and ditched my air pulse system and the jeep runs a hell of a lot better.
Living_High is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

X2. No smog pump just the pulse air. We do not have emissions tests so I removed all of the pulse air stuff on my YJ and crimped the nipple at the cat. Although, technically with the Howell kit I am still legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_High View Post
The '89 I-6 did not have a smog pump, it used the air pulse system instead. Look at the top rear of your valve cover. You should see a bank of three solenoids on a bracket. Also, on the passenger side, there will be two largish tubes that connect to the air filter and then connecting to the exhaust.

I did the Howell upgrade and ditched my air pulse system and the jeep runs a hell of a lot better.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys!! That's just what I needed to know! I appreciate all of the help...
Also, how can I get rid of the whole stock intake while keeping it legal? I hate the whole idea of how complicated the stock intake system is and I want to just make it simple and i can see it running way better without it.. How much would it cost?
Thanks!
Unread 05-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
Living_High
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Stock intake, are you referring to the carb? If so, the Howell EFI kit will run around $1200 or so for everything you need, minus a few items that are not expensive at all. I installed the kit in about 8 hours. Just read and reread the instructions, before starting but the kit is well worth it.

Also, in Utah, do you have emission tests?
Unread 05-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah we do... We had to mess with the carb setting and make them really weird so that now the jeep is not running as good as it could be. I think we are losing economy and performance because of it... Maybe it's something I'll have to look into..
And yeah I'm talking about the air intake (everything from the filter to the carb)..
Thanks!
Unread 05-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Living_High
1989 YJ Wrangler 

We have pretty stringent emission test here in Colorado too. I was having trouble with the carb as well. When I installed my Howell kit, the jeep ran much better and i pass my emission tests with flying colors every time. When you install the Howell, you are also doing a nutter bypass, since the old ECM is tossed, in favor of the new ECM for the Howell.
Unread 05-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah sounds like it might be worth it for a daily driver... Do you guys know of any other ways that I might be able to get rid off the pulse air system and keep it legal? I kind of want to do a simple K&N filter on top or something and that's it... But I don't know if that would be legal.
I am rebuilding my jeep soon and so I am just seeing what else I might be able to do to make it perform better and get better economy and last longer and all that so I can do it all in one shot.
Thanks guys!
Unread 05-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI,
Yep. From one '89 owner to another, go with the Howell. While I finally got my original Caarter BBD carb running well in its stock configuration, it had major trail limitations. The Howell kit solved all my issues. As said above, it's well worth the money.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright good to know! I'll definitely look into it!
Thanks!
Unread 05-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Can somebody please give me a link to one of these howell kits/ i cant seem to find one using google...
Thanks!!
Unread 05-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
Living_High
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This is the exact kit you will need.

TBI KIT: 1987-91 YJ Wrangler 4.2L Emissions Legal - Howell Engine Developments, Inc.
Unread 05-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright looks good! Thanks a bunch! I appreciate the help.. I really am starting to consider it. once i rebuild the jeep, if i add this then i can see my jeep doing wonders :-). It could be an amazing jeep! haha...
Thanks!
Unread 05-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
Living_High
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I noticed a marked improvement when I installed the Kit. I used to stall on the trail when I got into some sloped trails and the card would either starve or flood. With the EFI conversion, I have never had a problem. I know the price is a bit expensive and it took me a bit to finally pony up the change and purchase it... I would do the same thing again. The vacuum lines that get tossed alone are definitely worth the price as well.
Unread 05-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #15
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_maniack View Post
Alright looks good! Thanks a bunch! I appreciate the help.. I really am starting to consider it. once i rebuild the jeep, if i add this then i can see my jeep doing wonders :-). It could be an amazing jeep! haha...
Thanks!
HI,
Without in any way knocking the Howell kit down (see my post above), you should have reasonable expectations. I will try to help with this.
1. I did not notice any increase in power.
2. Gas milage did not improve or if it did, very little.

But there were many things that did improve.
1. No stalling at extreme angles.
2. Starts easily any time, everytime in any weather at any angle.
3. Engine runs beautifully all the time.
4. No idle problems.
5. Engine will run well below idle speed with power. Great if you have low gears. Effectively increases your crawl ratio by running at the lower RPM.
6. Very reliable shotgun starting. In case you don't know what this is, I understand. I made the term up. It is a starting technique I use very often in low range. I simply leave the clutch out and in low gear/low range, hit the starter with your foot off the gas pedal. The engine starts very smoothly and your Jeep starts moving slowly and smoothly. No riding the clutch. It is a great way to start on a steep hill (ether up or down). The fuel injection works for this very well. It is so effective that I rarely use the clutch when starting in low range. It's a trick that many folks don't seem to know about.

So, this is my addition to trail technique and lore: SHOTGUN STARTING

Sparky

Last edited by Karma; 05-31-2010 at 10:01 AM..
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.