Smog disabled 1990 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Smog disabled 1990 YJ

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 02-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
AidanMullen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Smog disabled 1990 YJ

Hey all,
So far I'm enjoying my membership here. Lots of useful info, thanks! Can anyone tell me if a '90 YJ is computer controller or not? This one I bought has had most of it's smog related gear pulled out or disabled, and I'm not sure where to start. I'm considering a new carb/intake manifold/header combination. There are no smog regs where I live. Anyone have any suggestions?

AidanMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Take a picture of the carb and engine and post a link. All the 4.2's had a computer controlled emission system. Read all about the workings here..LINK. It can run very nicely with most of the stuff removed.. Search Nutter Bypass....
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

As long as you are positive that you have no emissions restrictions you can rip it all off. This is a very popular topic here on YJ - JF. But if you ever move or sell it in another state you may find that you can't get it registered an almost everything has to be put back on.

Do a search for "Emissions YJ? you will find dozens of threads.

As far as computer controlled... yes you have it on a 1990 but you can all but eliminate it by doing the "Nutter bypass" If you have a stock Carter Carb there are a few extra steps related to modding the carb, any other aftermarket Carb and the Nutter is a must do.

The biggest pitfall to removing all the stuff is vacuum leaks. Pay close attention to the details.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.