Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Smittybuilt armor

7K views 104 replies 16 participants last post by  BrandonYJReed 
#1 ·
Is anyone running any smittybuilt fenders or body armor? I like the front flat fenders and I like the rear body armor, I just wanted to see if you guys had any reviews on them? thanks guys!

#64 ·
Yes, and no, it's a different kind of clearance. These take the actual flare part up meaning hey won't rub on flares any more, so you gain clearance here, but as for body clearance, no because if you rubbed on the body before, you will after. You can refer to the pics earlier in the thread showing before and after. :cheers2:

#82 ·
I've got a couple questions for y'all....

- Is the finish a smooth powdercoat or is it textured? I wish they were available in bare steel.

- I'm running A to Z Fab sliders and I'm wondering how the flare would match up to the slider. Here's the best pic I've got that shows what is covered. Basically, it just goes up to the stock flare and stops so I *think* the Smitty flare will mate up well to it, but I'm not positive. Thoughts?

- Do the flares hold up fairly well to abuse or do they dent easily?

My plan is to just get the flares for the time being, but will get the rest of the corner armor later on.

Thanks!
Tommy

#83 ·
They are not shiny smooth, they have a smooth texture, they are not like grip tape.

I have not bashed mine yet so I cannot comment on that exactly, but I have stood on them so I could Plank on my roll bars and they held me up just fine. Mine are bolted to my body, I do not have the corner guards. I had to trim my slider because of that.

Keep in mind, we have YJ's, you have a TJ with bigger flares.

#85 ·
No worries, you may find some good info in here. A lot of Yj's run TJ flares of all styles and you may see an example of what you want in this thread. I remember someone mentioning they have the TJ smitty rear flares, maybe PM them for a picture with some spot references you can compare on your body.

#88 ·
First two are YJ with TJ flares.
Middle one is YJ with YJ flares with 33s.
Last three are TJ with TJ flares with 35s.

Hope that helps. Not my pics.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.