Smittybilt XRC Sliders installed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Smittybilt XRC Sliders installed!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 07-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
brinoff

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Smittybilt XRC Sliders installed!

Ok, I finally sucked it up and installed these sliders. They've been in my garage for 6 months as I researched other options. I was concerned about cutting the center body mount down and weight on an already heavy rig. As a quick review I'll say they look rather nice and are pretty beefy. They weigh approximately 85lbs.

The center body mount needs to be cut 3/16 to accommodate the slider. My final install, not pictured, I cut another 1/8 off in order to mount a washer between the mount and the slider as I did not like how it sat unevenly on the mount.

Some problems I encountered: The furthest back bolt aligned with an enclosed section by the seatbelt. I took great pains to tap this hole and simply thread the bolt. The second one from the front aligned with a vertical tub support and again tapped the hole to thread the bolt. The sliders are still attached with washers and nuts at the other 4 holes and captured by the body mount, so I don't think this will be a problem. Finally, the stock front flare would not fit correctly without cutting a small piece of the slider off. So I did.

I am a bit of a perfectionist, so it took me a while to get them to this point. In the end, I do like how they fit and look. I think they will take a beating with some simple touchup work afterword. I do plan to modify the flare extension by shortening it about 10 inches and reinstalling them in order to complete the look.

93YJ 4.0 I6, AX-15, NP231 Teraflex SYE, Tom Wood Drive Shaft, G2 D44 ARB, ARB locked 30, T&T customs axle trusses, ProComp 35" Mud Terrain, RE SD 4" Lift, Daystar 1" BL, Harbor Freight 8000 Winch, Swing Away Tire Carrier, and some other stuff.

Last edited by brinoff; 07-17-2009 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: spelling
brinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

nice! been thinking about adding a set myself
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
mantonas
2003 WJ 

Question about center body mount attachment of the sliders

My son and I are installing a set of these on his YJ. They are slightly different underneath than the ones pictured in this post, but they attach the same way. We printed a set of instructions from Smittybilt on how to install these and we are trying to follow them. I am concerned with the way Smittybilt recommends that you install these on the center body mount. According to the instructions, you are supposed to put the rockslider plate between the top of the rubber part of the bushing and the underside of the top of the steel bushing sleeve. The problem with this is that the top of the steel bushing sleeve is kind of cup-shaped and it causes the slider to be spaced off the bottom of the body about 1/4". This causes a noticeable gap between the rock slider and the body in front. Examining the pictures it looks like the original poster installed it this way and you can see the gap in the front.

I think if you ever use these rocksliders to actually slide over a rock, the force of impact could cause the cup-shaped top of the steel bushing sleeve to bend, and that will transfer all the force from the rocksliders into the bolts up above that are holding it up against the side of the body. Those are pretty flimsy connection points.

I think the way it should be attached is for the rocksliders to be located between the body and the top of the bushing sleeve. That will allow the rock sliders to fit snug up against the bottom of the body. The problem is, I kind of have to give Smittybilt some credit for knowing how their own product should be installed, but I don't think it's right. Also, there's no going back after you put it in because all those holes will be drilled and can't be redrilled.

Have others run into this dilemma?
mantonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantonas View Post
My son and I are installing a set of these on his YJ. They are slightly different underneath than the ones pictured in this post, but they attach the same way. We printed a set of instructions from Smittybilt on how to install these and we are trying to follow them. I am concerned with the way Smittybilt recommends that you install these on the center body mount. According to the instructions, you are supposed to put the rockslider plate between the top of the rubber part of the bushing and the underside of the top of the steel bushing sleeve. The problem with this is that the top of the steel bushing sleeve is kind of cup-shaped and it causes the slider to be spaced off the bottom of the body about 1/4". This causes a noticeable gap between the rock slider and the body in front. Examining the pictures it looks like the original poster installed it this way and you can see the gap in the front.

I think if you ever use these rocksliders to actually slide over a rock, the force of impact could cause the cup-shaped top of the steel bushing sleeve to bend, and that will transfer all the force from the rocksliders into the bolts up above that are holding it up against the side of the body. Those are pretty flimsy connection points.

I think the way it should be attached is for the rocksliders to be located between the body and the top of the bushing sleeve. That will allow the rock sliders to fit snug up against the bottom of the body. The problem is, I kind of have to give Smittybilt some credit for knowing how their own product should be installed, but I don't think it's right. Also, there's no going back after you put it in because all those holes will be drilled and can't be redrilled.

Have others run into this dilemma?
I have a set of homebrew sliders on our YJ. They are held on by 5 stainless steel bolts, lock washers, and nuts only. No bottom body mounts involved. We've run Gold Mountain in Big Bear about 6 times with sway bar discos and stock suspension OR in plain English - we slid up and down a mountain on ours. The inspection after the last run was revealing. Several hard hits marred up the bottom of the skids, our fuel tank skid and a portion of our trans skid (all stock) but the bolts on our rocksliders, the tub metal around them, and all else looked in perfect condition.

I feel additional support would be great, but for us, the side mounts work well.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.