Smells Like Catalytic Converter but isn't... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Smells Like Catalytic Converter but isn't...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
CrushJeep

Smells Like Catalytic Converter but isn't...

Okay, This is a problem i purchased from someone else so here goes what i know. Its a 1992 Jeep Wrangler that was originally a 4 cyl. from what the dealer says on the vin number. It currently has a 6 cyl. engine in it. I got a good deal on the jeep but it is getting poor fuel mileage. Here is what i have done so far.

I have put 40 dollars in gas in this jeep and i have only been able to go about 120 miles before i needed gas again.

The engine is a new rebuilt engine with 400 miles on it. Transmission was rebuilt 8 months ago. All o2 sensors are new, new cap, wires, plugs, and alternator, and starter.

Smells like the catalytic is going bad when im driving down the road i can smell it. I stopped into an exhaust shop and they did a temp test on it and its only 380 degrees F. They said that a bad "cat" is usually over 500 degrees F.

When checking with a circuit meter making sure all the plugs were firing i noticed that the center of the cap on the wire i get an arc of electricity if i get anything metal close to it. "arcing rotor"??? Is that what that would be? never encountered an arcing rotor so not sure.

It idles fine 90 percent of the time with a drop here and there that is rare. When driving the jeep it rarely has loss of power but if it does its only when shifting from one gear to the next like its flooding out or missing. **Also when shifting from each gear and accelerating the check engine light will light up for a moment until i reach a constant rpm level but on acceleration it does light up**

So if you know what i should check next i would appreciate any advice because i dont want to spend 200 bucks on a new "Cat" if thats not the issue.

Please reply to this post to help others with similar problem in future and also send me an email "COPY" "PASTE" to my email on my blackberry. Thanks

crush.mark@gmail.com

CrushJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it's dumping in a lot of extra fuel. Also, how much gas is $40? Gas prices change, we can't figure your MPG from money and miles. (The miles maybe also wrong depending on the size of your tires, since odometer doesn't stay accurate even if you correct the speedo.)
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
CrushJeep

Hmm. I picked it up on 1/8 tank. put $15.00 in it at $2.56 a gallon which put me at half a tank. drove approx. 45 miles and was on 1/4 tank when i got there. put another 15.00 in it which brought me back a hair above half a tank again and drove it around in the city here and there approx 25-30 miles of city driving. and was at about 2/3 tank. Dropped 11 dollars in it at 2.65 a gallon today which gave me about half a tank. drove approx. 60 miles and im sitting on empty. i dont have a lift kit but i do have 33 inch tires on it which throws the speedometer off so im giving you this off tracking myself on google maps where i been and giving you that mileage. I am trying to be detailed as possible so anymore info you need let me know.
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
CrushJeep

Also, when talking with Dodge on the phone they said the inline 6 thats in there wont run without the ecm for the inline 6 so i know its not the computer. Anyone know the temp the cat is suppose to be on this Jeep? and also how to check to make sure everything is firing right? maybe when the engine swap went in then maybe they messed up the distributor cap firing order and maybe 1 or 2 wires crossed the wrong way might cause this issue too causing a dead cylinder. i dont know im just thinking of all the options. Just really need help so i can quit stopping at the gas station all the time.
Unread 04-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
joshbaker92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

what year jeep any lift and all that pertinent info?
Unread 04-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How much is $60? What size tires are you running? Check your manifold for cracks. Fill out your profile and information so we can actually help you.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 05:11 AM   #7
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushJeep View Post
Also, when talking with Dodge on the phone they said the inline 6 thats in there wont run without the ecm for the inline 6 so i know its not the computer.
Why were you talking to Dodge?
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

maybe it smells like teen spirit :P

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like timing or compression or a super duper clogged air filter. Whichever one you're running rich/not burning all your fuel.

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Try and run the codes.

You need to fill out your jeep info.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/

Last edited by MJMPC; 04-03-2010 at 10:07 AM..
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #11
CrushJeep

Alright thanks for all the replies. It is a 1992 Jeep YJ Wrangler with a 1993 4.0 6cyl 5 speed tranny. I have went over it with a fine tooth comb and i think i found the problem... while underneath it looking for grease fittings i seen a few vacuum lines going to to the back of the transmission that had been laying on top of the catalytic converter and they were all melted together. I fixed those lines and now its idling smooth, no more check engine lights on and gas mileage is normal. I think i found the problem. Not sure if the timing can be adjusted or what cause i cant find anything on what the normal specs are suppose to be. at idle it is hitting right at the 14 mark. Im not sure if that can be changed or not. if anyone has any info on adjusting the timing that would be great. It is fuel injected which in the repair manual said timing specs are for carb. engines only so... dont know if i should just leave that alone or not.

Tags
1992 yj. electrical , exhaust , poor fuel , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.