smelling blower motor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > smelling blower motor?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 08-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Dragonwitch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

smelling blower motor?

Every time I use my heater and the fan is on High, after a few minutes I get a strange smell. I was told it was probably the blower motor getting ready to go. What is the easiest way to get to it? Is it under the dash or will I have to lay the windshield down to open it all the way. I need to fix this before winter. We recently fixed a leak in the windshield which was probably the cause of it going bad.

Unread 08-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
jbrown73
Live free or die

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure about the 95 YJ installation, but the blower motor on my 89 YJ is attached to the firewall through the engine compartment under the battery tray. I know the newer blower motors are larger than the stock motors (again, at least for the later models) and I had to cut the hole in the firewall a little large to accomodate which required having to take out the air box under the dash.....gave me an excuse to clean it all up and replace the seals.

Someone with a newer YJ might need to chime in.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.
jbrown73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

On my'92 (which should be like yours), I had to pull the heater box out. The fan motor was attached to the heater box and the motor sticks through the firewall.

This is not a fun job...

Do yourself a favor and put in a new heater core while you've got it apart.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Dragonwitch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OUCH...well if I want heat this winter I better get to it. This sounds like its gonna be a project...uhhgg
Thank you for the input.
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is as easy as it gets for pulling heater boxes. There are just four bolts on the firewall and the cables to disconnect. As stated, replace both the core and blower motor at the same time. I would also take the time to wash out the inside of the box and the foam flap doors (the flap doors are best removed and washed by hand with some dish soap). I also replaced the fan resistor in the upper plenum when I did mine... They are cheap enough to replace while you are doing everything else. That part is what gives you the blower speeds.

Doing all this will give you some nice warm and clean heat all winter.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Dragonwitch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome..thanks for all the help

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.