Smell Diff fluid after wheel Cylinder change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Smell Diff fluid after wheel Cylinder change

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Smell Diff fluid after wheel Cylinder change

Hi All -
1990 modified YJ (auto trans)...
This weekend I noticed fluid on the inside rear (drivers side) tire. Checked the brake fluid and (sure enough) rear reservoir was very low. Long story but I ended up doing both rear wheel cylinders and brake lines. Along the way, I cut out the rear track bar since the bracket had rusted through and it was just flopping around. Yes... a long weekend.

Anyway, took it for a wonderful, long drive and it ran just great... I LOVE JEEPS!!!

When I got it home, I smelled that high content lithium smell of Differential fluid (actually, I smelled it before but thought it might be the brake fluid combined with brake dust, etc). So... I'm thinkin' rear axle seal or something like that. My question is... can I just ignore this until next spring? It's starting to get cold here (Massachusetts) and I don't really want to get under the beast when it's 20 degrees. I drive it only on weekends and, then, only to the dump, Home Depot, and the Beach (about 5 miles round trip).

Any advice would be great... thanks in advance.

Plyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sure until you see a puddle I wouln't get too excited but it does require attention. It depends on how much is leaking and how much you drive.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just keep checking on the level every other trip or so. You have ten dipsticks so you should use them. Eleven if you're creative
Unread 11-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Great !
No puddles yet, just a few lines radiating on inside tire.

Thanks
Plyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.