Small Oil Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Small Oil Leak

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Jimidude87
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Small Oil Leak

Hey guys. I have an 88 wrangler with a 4.2 and a 5 speed manual transmission. I just rebuilt my jeep and got it on the road. I put a new crank kit in it and all new gaskets. When I started it up I noticed after getting hot it was smoking a bit. I chalked it up to runoff fluid on the hot motor and on the exhaust.

After driving it home yesterday I opened up the hood and took a peak and noticed there is some fresh oil that appears to be coming out of where the valve cover meets the head. Also, there is a little bit of oil coming from the gasket of the oil pan. When I say a little bit I mean its not visibly dripping, it is just enough to give the appearance that there is oil there. My question is, how much, if any, oil should leak after rebuilding and putting all new gaskets in the motor? I know you are supposed to break it in and take it easy on the motor for the first little bit but was not sure if it was normal to see a little oil seeping out. Other than that she is running perfect.

Thanks for all of your help.

Jimidude87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Neither gasket should leak.

Over torquing the bolts is the main cause, followed by poor surface prep.

I just use RTV on the valve cover after good prep of head and valve cover. Many like to use "Gorilla Snot" and glue the gasket to the cover, then just a thin skim of RTV when torquing it down. The guys that use the one piece oil pan gaskets really like them, I use the standard 4 piece set with RTV in the corners. It doesn't look bone dry, but doesn't drip either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.