Small main shaft leak....anyone else? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Small main shaft leak....anyone else?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 11-15-2001, 07:22 AM   #1
Big92Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Small main shaft leak....anyone else?

Main rear shaft out of transfer case throwing a little (red ATF). Of course the rear drive shaft throws it up under the jeep. Only about a dime size spot on ground when it sits overnight. Keep fluids topped off so I am not to concerned. Wondering if anyone else has this problem or has had to replace the seal???

As far as I am concerned it's just marking it's teritory. I also have a theory that if fluid can get out then water can get in.

Thanks in advance for any info.

~Rýck

Unread 11-15-2001, 07:43 AM   #2
Newfie

Yeah, I have a small weep of it as well. Concerns me though, as it probably means the shaft is starting to go (or gone) out of true and will start to chew up the rest of the components. I really need to install an SYE...
Unread 11-15-2001, 08:54 AM   #3
mikeyjph

I had the same problem after I put a suspension lift on and the cheap t-case drop kit, a new seal solved the problem
mikeyjph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2001, 10:23 AM   #4
evilpsych

yeah a new seal will fixt that.. think they're fairly cheap..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2001, 06:35 PM   #5
bighair

yeah, I have a 93 yj and the same .. the seal leaks a little. I'm going to change it on my next day of.. Tuesday.

It doesn't seem like a big Job. I alread replaced the ujoint there and noticed the leak.

All you have to do is take the clip that holds the ujoint and dive shaft off slide the driveshaft out, and pop the seal out. dont forget to try and drain some of the fluid first cause you know it'll leak..

I have heard taht you need a puller tool to take the seal off but if it's already damaged and you are replacing it.. you should be able to use a screw driver to pop it out..

I replaced the output shaft seal on a Nissan myself and it only cost around 8$ for the seal. so the Jeeps seal shouldn't be much more.

I'll let you know how it went..

theres my 2 cents worth.. hehe
Unread 11-18-2001, 06:37 PM   #6
bighair

Oh I almost forgot.. with your 4" lift, you must have a SYE?? right?? I don't ahve a lift yet, but I'm sure you should have an SYE if you have a lift .. or some kind of mod to replace it..

P.S let me know if I'm right or not??
Unread 11-19-2001, 08:09 PM   #7
powjunkie

I have a 4" lift with a SYE. However, I know several people with a 4" that are running fine without it (on and offroad). I don't really understand how different Jeeps react so differently to being lifted. Mine needed the SYE, but yours may not. It's something I would prepare for, so you're ready to do after lifting if necessary.
Unread 11-20-2001, 07:11 AM   #8
cobra54

I replaced the seal last year for the same thing you guys are reporting. It fixed it for a period of time but it's beginning to "weep" again, but not enough to leave any on the driveway. I noticed that the shaft itself has a slight groove in it where the seal rides - probably from having grit trapped in there over the years and it actually abraded the shaft. If I have to change it again in the future, I'll probably replace the drive shaft with a double cardan if I can find one.
01 Black Cobra 4.6L DOHC
02 ZX3 Focus 2.0L DOHC
cobra54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2001, 05:08 PM   #9
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That seal is a normal thing to replace .. I do it every 2 years or so .. easy as pie to replace .. use a flat-blade screwdriver to pry it out .. and a small hammer to pound the new one in ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.