small hiccup type backfire on decel after nutter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > small hiccup type backfire on decel after nutter

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidWIN a set of Mammoth Boulder Wheels at ExtremeTerrain.com!Truck & Jeep Fest 2015 - Edmonton

Unread 04-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
boduke5051
1990 YJ Wrangler 

small hiccup type backfire on decel after nutter

Nuttered the Heep tonight after work. Overall, quite an improvement! Starts great, smoother idle, definitely seems to have more acceleration.

Couple small concerns though. The Nutter threads i followed showed to set the timing at 8 degrees, plus our minus 2. Mine seems happiest at about 12 degrees which is outside that range.

It seems to now have a small rumbling backfire on decel like when i let off the throttle to shift. Most noticeable when shifting from first to second. Or when downshifting to drop some speed.

Also, it used to have a pretty bad flat spot when i really got in the throttle to accelerate while already moving. It had gotten better, but it's still there just a little bit.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Unread 04-30-2015, 02:47 AM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have manifold vacuum or ported vacuum hooked up to the vacuum advance? If you have it on ported, try changing it to manifold. Might end up putting main adjustment back closer to 8 degrees.

Then adjust the vacuum advance on the distributor. (Search for a thread on how to do it. You just put an allen wrench through where the vacuum advance tube hooks up).
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2015, 05:06 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I have mine set at 9 or so on ported advance and when I decelerate down a hill it will burble and pop a little, something like the old muscle cars use to sound like. I have seen some engines that liked over 10, but I am/was close to sea level. Higher altitudes like a bit more.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #4
boduke5051
1990 YJ Wrangler 

@ Dancytron: It's on ported right now, I'll play with it at lunch and see if the manifold vac port makes any difference. I'll also look into adjusting the vac advance when I get home tonight, forgot to grab my allen set before I left the house this morning.

@ Mike Romain: your description of the sound is a better one than my hiccup. It is a little bit of burble/pop. My wife was saying last night when I came home from my test run that it almost sounded like a motorcycle when I'd let off the throttle, lol. I checked my elevation, according to Google Tulsa is only 722 feet so I'm thinking 12 degrees might be a bit much.

Couple of other bits of information: Coming in to work this morning, I didn't notice the burble/pop at all. Only thing different from last night that I can think of is that it was probably in the low 70's when I was making my test runs last night, and this morning it is currently low 60's.

Also I noticed something strange when I was doing the nutter last night. The orange/purple wires were right where I expected to find them on the firewall from the distributor, but on the harness side of the plug that goes from the firewall to the ICM there was no wire that was connected to the purple wire on the ICM side of the plug. I happened to have a small crimp on style socket connector from an old job, so I crimped it on, and soldered it, then put it in that empty 4th hole on the harness side of the plug.

Sorry for the cruddy pic, it didn't look as flash blinded on my phone.

icm-plug.jpg
Unread 04-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You are correct on the purple wire, it only goes to the ICM plug and stops. The ECM was controlling the advance before, now it is direct.
Did you get your stepper motor pins centred? The should show 1/8" of shaft before the taper starts. This affects the final mix and gas mileage. Full in is full rich, full out is full lean. The ECM tried to keep them centered.
Edit: your photo finally showed up on my phone app, I see you have no stepper motor on that Weber. :-)
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 04-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
boduke5051
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, good deal. I must have missed that when reading the threads. I was concerned that I might have screwed something up by adding that connection. Thank you for the info!
Unread 04-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boduke5051 View Post
Ok, good deal. I must have missed that when reading the threads. I was concerned that I might have screwed something up by adding that connection. Thank you for the info!
Also to prevent misfires, the orange and purple wires should be twisted together all the way along to prevent RF interference.
Unread 04-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
boduke5051
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That part I caught, and did twist them. Had my boy hold one end while I spun the other end with my drill.
Unread 04-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
boduke5051
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Something else that I just thought of. I wonder if the carb may need some readjusting now. The P.O. had just put it on there when I got the Jeep, and said he had a really hard time getting it adjusted right. One of the first things I did to it was replace the ICM because it was having a really hard time starting in the mornings.

So I wonder if the combination of a weak ICM and Nutter not being done was the cause of him having a hard time setting the carb, and might mean that the carb is not set correctly now that everything else has been fixed?
Unread 04-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #10
boduke5051
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, went out and played with it some more at lunch. I've decided the problem was the nut behind the distributor wrench (namely ME)!

Was in the middle of doing the Nutter when I got a phone call about some family business that wound up putting me in a fairly foul mood, and apparently I wasn't thinking clearly.

When I set the timing, I forgot to pull the vac line off the distributor and cap it. So it was still running the vac advance while I was setting the timing. No WONDER it didn't want to set right!

Disconnected and plugged off that line this time, set the timing right at 8 degrees, purring like a kitten now. The burbling is still there, but just barely. I only heard it once about a half mile into 10 mile test run. Thought I might have heard it faintly on a downshift after that, but it was almost unnoticeable. Ran it for about 3 miles worth of ground streets, and about 7 worth of highway to get back to work, runs great!

Thank you guys for all the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.