Small coolant leak around thermostat housing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Small coolant leak around thermostat housing?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Small coolant leak around thermostat housing?

Over the last few weeks I've noticed a drop or two of coolant on my driveway every once in a while. It was getting on my lower radiator hose from somewhere and dripping from there. Nothing major and I didn't seem to lose any major amount. Anyway, I changed the coolant about a week ago before I took the jeep on vacation and since it was due. Today I noticed a green film at the joint around the input of the radiator hose on the motor. You can see it in the following picture and the area is outlined in red. It's on the underside of that joint.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's where the thermostat is right? Haven't had to change it in the 4.0 yet. I'm guessing this is maybe the gasket? I'm running consistently at 210-215 on the highway so the cooling system seems good. Anyone run into this before? Thanks in advance...

red.jpg  

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not a big problem, easy to fix. Get a new T-stat and gasket and you'll be good to go.
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just recently had to fix this but it has happened to me a few times. This last time I took the housing off I noticed the mating surface was pitted. So I took it to work where we have machines that finish mounting pads for substation connectors. It put a nice flat finish and I haven't had any issues thus far.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
justpicaname
1994 YJ Wrangler 

if your surface is pitted, you can always use hi heat gasket maker along with the gasket. Thats what I do, and I havn't had a leak there yet.
justpicaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What ever you do, DON'T tighten it. The housing is very fragile and WILL BREAK. It is not unusual for these to start leaking over time. Take the previously given advice ^^^^^ to fix it.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When you do, make certain to put threadlocker on the bolts Been there, done that... Redid it...
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The T stat housing is also a replaceable item, mine was about $19 from autohoozit. Mean Max has a type of aviation gasket sealer he swears by, I can't remember what it was but it seems to have been made by Permatex. Maybe someone will post up a link to it, or Max will see this.

Wait, here it is--google Permatex aviation form-a-gasket and it will show photos.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I've seen the housing as a part... I believe you're referring to what Mean Max calls "yellow snot". I've seen a few posts where he swears by it.

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Easy fix dude...a good 30 minute wrenching 101 project.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8AHUMR View Post
Yeah, I've seen the housing as a part... I believe you're referring to what Mean Max calls "yellow snot". I've seen a few posts where he swears by it.
It's called weather strip adhesive made by 3M, it comes in black or yellow and it's some bad a$$ stuff!
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
The T stat housing is also a replaceable item, mine was about $19 from autohoozit. Mean Max has a type of aviation gasket sealer he swears by, I can't remember what it was but it seems to have been made by Permatex. Maybe someone will post up a link to it, or Max will see this.
Gotcha covered!

Wait, here it is--google Permatex aviation form-a-gasket and it will show photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.7YJ View Post
It's called weather strip adhesive made by 3M, it comes in black or yellow and it's some bad a$$ stuff!
Actually, I use that on valve cover gaskets. Opihi59 was correct on my choice of sealer for the T-stat gaskets.
Sometimes things just don't seal up so well, and in those cases you could stand a little help.

Here is my "secret weapon" sealer:

(MFG description)

Permatex #3 Form-a-gasket Aviation Sealer
Non-hardening liquid gasket sealant/dressing/coating is a thin, brushable dressing or sealer for close-fitting parts. Suitable for continuous temperatures to 400F (204C). Resistant to antifreeze, aviation fuels, high-detergent oils and lubricants. Conforms to MIL-S-45180 D.

Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket No. 3

Read the list again, yep antifreeze is on there too! You can use it on T-stat housings & radiator hoses that prove to be difficult to seal up at the radiator, heater core, or water pump fittings. This stuff is amazing, it will seal up anything and without dealing with the goopy RTV that I despise so much and NO WAITING TIME!

Just use the "brush-in-can" lid and smear a thin film on both sealing surfaces & put them together & add the fluids/oils/etc. and be on your way. Use it on oil pans, valve covers, automatic tranny pans, case halves or anywhere. It's also a great thread sealer like for drain & fill plugs too. It's Aviation and MILSPEC certified.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I use both as well. Aviators think alike.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.