Sluggish YJ Suggestions? Common Problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sluggish YJ Suggestions? Common Problem?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sluggish YJ Suggestions? Common Problem?

I have a 1995 Wrangler with a 4.0 6cyl. Engine and auto trans. Axle ratio is still stock (prob 3.08? i am not near my truck) . Stock wheels and tires, a borla headers and borla catback. However the truck doesnít see to really have any pickup. I can understand if I went to 33ís I would need to change axle ratio, but for now this set up it should be working fine. I see my RPMís climbing as I put the petal to the metal, however my truck doesnít move as fast as it should. Even my friends truck (í89 yj, 4.2 liter 5 speed w/ 35ís) moved better than this BEFORE he regeared to 4.56. Oil's good, air filter's clean. replaced the plugs and wires and such a while back. Is this a trans problem? Something common? Donít get me wrong Iím not expecting a dragster, but I would at least like the confidence to pull onto the highway... Any suggestions would certainly help because I no longer know how to get it to go normal speeds.

Thanks,
Courtney

Unread 04-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What plugs did you put in it? and What kind of oil did you put in it?

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Don't remember exactly what brand right now, but I know they AREN'T Champions. I don't like those, at least something basic of another brand.

Oil is Pep Boys brand or Castrol 10W-40, depends what we have in the garage at the time.

But in general it has always been this slow, I have tried different combinations of things and it didn't help. My friend's 89 YJ I mentioned, he just put in whatever oil and spark plugs not caring what brand and his truck always had more pickup than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullTripper View Post
What plugs did you put in it? and What kind of oil did you put in it?
Unread 04-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
YJMatt95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How about an O2 sensor that is going bad? I've been told it can cause the engine to hesitate while accelerating. Maybe, you have a dirty fuel filter??? Just my 2 cents.
YJMatt95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
dirtydan69
1994 YJ Wrangler 

in an auto transmission there is a torque converter that is the link between the trans and the engine. it is designed to slip some, this is why most racing vehicles use manual tranny's with a clutch between them. when a torque converter goes bad it will slip more than it should, and your rpms will rise without much change in power/speed to the rear axle. there is always a possiblity that it could be something in the transmission itself, but the torque converter is relatively cheaper than a transmission rebuild. so i would start there. you may need to take it to a transmission shop, depending on how handy you are with mechanics.
P.S. the only way you can be increasing your rpms w/o speeding up is to have slippage between the engine and axle(s).
dirtydan69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nope had to recently replace my O2 sensor after I got my exhaust done, that was very dirty. How often should they be replaced?

Also replaced fuel filter when I thought that was the cause of a stalling problem, that was last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJMatt95 View Post
How about an O2 sensor that is going bad? I've been told it can cause the engine to hesitate while accelerating. Maybe, you have a dirty fuel filter??? Just my 2 cents.
Unread 04-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm I'm feeling that this might be the best option to check on, since I thought this was the cause of a problem I had in my Mustang, changed the fluid in that and it didn't help (still had shifting/shuddering issues). Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan69 View Post
in an auto transmission there is a torque converter that is the link between the trans and the engine. it is designed to slip some, this is why most racing vehicles use manual tranny's with a clutch between them. when a torque converter goes bad it will slip more than it should, and your rpms will rise without much change in power/speed to the rear axle. there is always a possiblity that it could be something in the transmission itself, but the torque converter is relatively cheaper than a transmission rebuild. so i would start there. you may need to take it to a transmission shop, depending on how handy you are with mechanics.
P.S. the only way you can be increasing your rpms w/o speeding up is to have slippage between the engine and axle(s).
Unread 04-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the torque converter scenario. Especially if when you get on it hard and the RPMs increase, but the thrust does not follow suit. As far as the O2 sensor, they typically have a lifespan of 100K miles. The OBDI equipped YJ's have a maintenance timer that triggers around 81.5K miles which is meant to tell the owner it is time to pro-actively replace the O2 sensor before it fails. Pre '91 has a mechanical timer below the dash for this, while a '91 and newer has this incorporated into the ecm.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
driveajeep812
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A clogged cat perhaps.
driveajeep812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
dirtydan69
1994 YJ Wrangler 

just to get the facts straight, is the engine hesitating, stumbling, really hard to rev in neutral/park? or is it slipping when given gas in gear (drive or reverse etc)? slipping=trans problem, the other is going to be engine related.
dirtydan69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nope, brand new when new borla system was put on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveajeep812 View Post
A clogged cat perhaps.
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No not slipping, just not powerful enough for what it should be at. I shouldn't be worried that my Jeep won't get up to speed enough when pulling onto the highway, but I am because it has no kick (kind of hard to explain in words I guess, without everyone taking a ride in my Jeep) I know it is a Jeep and I'm not expecting racecar like speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan69 View Post
just to get the facts straight, is the engine hesitating, stumbling, really hard to rev in neutral/park? or is it slipping when given gas in gear (drive or reverse etc)? slipping=trans problem, the other is going to be engine related.
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You should have good power with that 6 cylinder. It is a strong engine. I know this is common sense stuff here but I don't recall seeing it mentioned above. Are your throttle body and fuel injectors clean, is your rotor and cap clean? Just want to eliminate this if you are sure.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes exactly! I want the power I should have. Well the cap and rotor are recently knew, since I thought that was a solution to another problem. However I can't confirm the throttle body and fuel injectors either way, I would like to say they are clean, but haven't recently checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
You should have good power with that 6 cylinder. It is a strong engine. I know this is common sense stuff here but I don't recall seeing it mentioned above. Are your throttle body and fuel injectors clean, is your rotor and cap clean? Just want to eliminate this if you are sure.
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If it were mine, that's what I would do, run some throttle body cleaner spray down the intake, can says do that when it is off, but I do it when it is running, but I am not advising that. Put some high quatity fuel injector cleaner in the tank also. See if that does it. If not, I would then proceed to the ignition coil, I would not bother testing it myself if I thought it was the factory original, I would just buy a new one. (But that's me). If after that, it still was having a problem, then of course, start looking elsewhere, and go from there.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.