Sluggish accelleration 94 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sluggish accelleration 94 YJ

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 01-26-2002, 05:51 PM   #1
WranglerYJ94

Sluggish accelleration 94 YJ

I've got a 94 YJ manual 5spd transmission, owner before me blew the original engine and replaced it with a 2.0 I believe. When im stoppped at red lights, i put her in 1st gear and it feels like im dragging a load behind me, like im pulling a trailer or something heavy, then once the RPM's hit about 3000-3200 you can feel the power kick in and it raeally hauls *** then. but under 3000 rpms i have no power whatsoever. i tried the fuel injecter cleaners that u put in the gas tank with no help. anyone got any ideas what i might do to gimme some MORE POWER!?
THanks,
John
Charlotte NC

Flowmaster exhaust
Lights
Lotsa 'stuff'
WranglerYJ94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2002, 06:24 PM   #2
Brendan

If you have a 2.0 Liter engine that really hauls *** at about 3000 RPM is sounds like you have a turbocharger. that isn't definate, but if you the power surges at a certain RPM, then I would definately check your exhaust manifold to see if there is a turbo there, with a pipe leading either to an intercooler (a radiator type thing in the front of the engine bay) or straight to the intake manifold. Either way, if you want more acceleratoin from this engine, your screwed. There are little accesories that will give you almost 20 Hp but nothing major.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2002, 12:24 AM   #3
rollinashortysahara

surges in power on a fuel injected jeep are normaly caused by the notoriously poor manifold air pressure sensor also known as map sensor. it controls fuel / air mixture
supposedly adjusting for ambient air pressure but mine in a 94 4.0 sahara causes a drop in power around 2700 rpm in hard acceleration and a large jump in power about 3000 rpm.
http://www.turbocity.com/JeepStagePowerKits.htm has a kit to fix the problem
p.s. a turbo on a jeep would be golden but i don't know of a factory one ever built and the only turbo kit i do know of is also at this same web site.
rollinashortysahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2002, 12:28 AM   #4
rollinashortysahara

http://www.turbocity.com/jeep_parts_list1.htm

better discripton of the "rock-it map adjuser"
rollinashortysahara is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.