Slow down at highway speeds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Slow down at highway speeds

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
spky
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Slow down at highway speeds

Hi all. First off, great info on this site has helped me get my jeep where I am at now. Now for the good stuff and a little about the jeep.

I bought it off my friend who wasnt doing anything with it. Its an 87.

Things he has done.

Weber 32/36
TFI upgrade
4inch lift
1inch body lift
32x11.50x15

What I have done.
HEI upgrade

Problem I face now is when I try to get up to 60 and then go to 5th, it just slows down. It has a new Cat and has been re-jetted to the proper settings. Question for anyone, since the tire size has been upped and I know for sure that the gears are 3.08, would that be the cause?

I am stumped from here. Always had a v8 in something and this is the first true I6 Ive ever had. Any info is appreciated.

spky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Simple answer.

With the larger tires, 3.08 gears, lift and built in aerodynamics of a brick. You simply do not have the power to pull 5th.

Run your numbers and then play with tire sizes and final drive ratios.
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Easiest solution would be to bolt in a set of 4 cylinder 4.10 axles. You will be much happier with your new YJ.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
spky
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I figured. thanks for the reply. Will look around for some, it not ill buy the gears and put them in.
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Don't bother re-gearing that rear axle. If you're going to spend that much to do it, might as well just buy a Ford 8.8 rear and get that re-geared while it's out of the vehicle. Then get your perches and linkages and fab it up and bolt it in.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Don't bother re-gearing that rear axle. If you're going to spend that much to do it, might as well just buy a Ford 8.8 rear and get that re-geared while it's out of the vehicle. Then get your perches and linkages and fab it up and bolt it in.

What he said, but don't regear an 8.8 find one with the gears you want...

if you are staying with 32 or 33" tires, 4:10 is the magic # , then find a D30 to match....

Regearing is expensive!!!

Got my 8.8 w/ 4:10s for $200...

They are in demand, but out there....
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

I was waiting to see how long it would take someone to post up an 8.8.

Not defending the 35 but it would be a hell of a lot less work to simply swap in D30/35 4.10 axles as a whole. That is why I mentioned it in my post. Craig s list or GL4x4 has them all day for less then a ring and pinion set.

I forgot what the carrier break is on the 30/35 but if would not be cost effective to regear the existing axles.

Open diffs. on 32`s. Most likely a street driven toy then a wheeler. They will last a while and if he does blow up the 35, so what ? Even moderately wheeled I`d run `em till (if) something broke.

Key here is open diffs.

IMHO...............YMMV
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste

I forgot what the carrier break is on the 30/35 but if would not be cost effective to regear the existing axles.
Break is at 3.73 for the 30.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
Break is at 3.73 for the 30.
Thanks Jim
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have been having that same problem for the last couple years.....I basically been driving my 5 speed like a 4 speed. I run 33's.

This week I have started my swap of axles with 4.10 gears.

Over the last couple months been searching craigs and this forum for sale and landed two yj axles for 325.00.

Things to keep in mind:

94/95 rears have different size axle yoke - need 1310/1330 combination u-joint or swap the yokes from your rear to newer rear. I bought the combo u-joint. (napa - reference spicer part number 5-134x)

The newer rear axles also have longer parking brake cables....so you may have to fabricate some sort of bracket (like I did) or swap in your old cables. (I didn't even want to try - don't know if it's possible)

Front axles change from 1990-94 and 94-95 also. You will not be able to use the front rotors/calipers from a 1987 to a 1991, so if you pick up a newer front, check the calipers and rotors.

Also want to check the ball joints and bearing hubs on the front.

one last thing, you may want to change the tie rod ends on the front while you have it out.

(my motorcycle lift works absolutely great for raising/lowering yj axles in place !!)

Hope this helps out....
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
spky
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info. Just to give more of an insight. I do not plan to 4 wheel it rough. Depending on how the gas is , it may be my daily. It is a 5 speed, forgot to metion that. More or less using it for hunting, but would love to at least do the speed limit to get ouy there.
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
spky
1987 YJ Wrangler 

One more question. What is wrong with the D35 rear? Like I said, no crazy off road for me. I've already lived that with my blazer back in the day. Pretty much a trail queen and hilling.
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spky View Post
One more question. What is wrong with the D35 rear? Like I said, no crazy off road for me. I've already lived that with my blazer back in the day. Pretty much a trail queen and hilling.
Just drive it. If or when your 35 breaks then replace it. Don't fix it, is more the point.

As far as 5th gear. I never use it when going over 50 mph. 5th is useless. Just stay in 4th and save your money. If you get into extreme YJ driving then regear and upgrade as needed.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Seriously - Even the Chevy 10-bolt is prolly a better axle. And you already know how crappy those are.

Let me put it this way. One of the "regulars" around here (Xpress) just had his rear axle blow out on him while he was on the highway, going home from work or someplace. The bearing plate separated or something, which let the entire wheel, axle and all, just fall out and roll past him while he was going 50. This was on the street in 2WD mind you. I took it like a warning sign.

The D35 has an extremely small and weak gear set - I don't think its even 7 inches. Also the housing is known to flex very badly, which puts pressure on the bearing retainers and side gears. Which means the side gears get chewed, or the bearings pop which is what happened to Xpress.

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 11-24-2011 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: detail
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a LSD D35 with 3.55 gears, sofar the PO hasn't been able to break it and now I have it. Something about that LSD is making it indestructible...

oldtime ironman: What happened to my D35 was the outer oil seal (that I replaced) worked its way off and into a place where when rolling forward at a high enough speed, the friction caused it to melt and heat up all of the components around that area. Apparently the retainer plate got hot enough to just tear right open around the lip, which let my axle go. Or at least that's what I figured. Nothing else broke, the axle shaft is likely still in one solid piece

And it wasn't on the highway, it was on a 3 lane mountain pass (2 lanes going up, one going down). So the failure was something I did. Probably didn't do something right because it was the first time I have ever replaced an axle seal. Had I done it right I'd probably still be rolling on it today.

Quote:
Nothing, if you can get over the fact that it's a weak 27 spline thin axle shaft with spider gears made of what seems like plastic.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
AZYJJK
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a 92 Sahara with the 4.0 I-6. My Dana 35 with TracLock broke in 1998 while the Jeep was stock. At that time I had it lifted, 4" with 33x12.5 BFG's and had the shop install a Dana 44 with disks, Detroit and 4.56 gears front and back. The shop recommended the 4.56 over the 4.10. They said no one had ever been unhappy with 4.56. I run 5th most of the time in town.
AZYJJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.