slip yoke and driveshaft question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > slip yoke and driveshaft question

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 08-31-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
rshepler217
1995 YJ Wrangler 

slip yoke and driveshaft question

i just bought a 95 wrangler for use in the off-road club at my college. after leaving my other jeeps at home i decided to buy one out here and found one for $1400 and decided that being at college i should do a "budget build." trying my best to keep at this i am going to be buying my lift soon but rough country wants $500 for the slip yoke eliminator and drive-shaft. i just want to buy it to make it easier but trying my best to keep at this budget makes me ask if there is any way around this slip yoke and drive-shaft?

rshepler217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Congrat's on the purchase, An welcome to Jeep Forum. I suggest you look through some build threads and read the FAQ's section there is a crap load of knowledge on here.

You'll need the SYE sooner or later, If you plan on wheeling it is a Must in my opinion. I didn't wheel either of my Jeeps before I had a SYE. You can buy a hack and tap sye kit and find a front driveshaft for a XJ in a salvage yard get that shorted and balanced at a driveline shop shop that will save you a few hundred.

As for lift kits it is cheaper to buy the parts seperatly, for instance a OME suspn. kit runs roughly $800 you can peice it together for around $600
Unread 09-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

In addition to what Tom95YJ said, you could also do "Bastard Pack" springs using leafs from a junked S-10 Blazer. Bit of work, but you could save big money and get 2.5 inches lift that way.

I'm interested in going this way myself simply because it looks like it'll be next year before I go back to work again.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
Ironhead98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got my advance adapters sye for $199. Picked up a xj shaft at pick'n'pull for $20 on a half price day. Its gonna cost me another $75 to get it cut and balanced but thats still $200 cheaper than RC. Plus later on down the line if I want to change my lift meaning my driveline angle changes Ill get another shaft cut for $100 and not feel bad about scrapping a $300 shaft.
Ironhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You never said how high you are going.
You may be able to get away with a MML and shims.
SYE is good insurance. If you break a rear driveshaft you would be able to pull it and not loose any fluid out of your transfercase.
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshepler217 View Post
i just bought a 95 wrangler for use in the off-road club at my college. after leaving my other jeeps at home i decided to buy one out here and found one for $1400 and decided that being at college i should do a "budget build." trying my best to keep at this i am going to be buying my lift soon but rough country wants $500 for the slip yoke eliminator and drive-shaft. i just want to buy it to make it easier but trying my best to keep at this budget makes me ask if there is any way around this slip yoke and drive-shaft?
Do a hack n tap SYE. people tend to frown on them but I have still never heard of one breaking. They are common around me
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Enjoy that school. I graduated from there in 2002. Be careful, when it rains, the roads in that town get slick as ice, not sure why but they do...

Under stand that there is a difference between a "budget build" and doing cheap. Stay away from rough country springs. In short they are junk. If you want to do it on a budget, then build a lift kit with BDS or OME springs, and buy the other stuff (bushings, ubolts, shackles, etc) seperately. Only buy what you need, not not the cheapest stuff you can find. Springs are the perfect example of you get what you pay for, dont cheap out on them.

Budget build - Buying quality parts at a decent rate, and only buying what you need.
Cheap build - Buying the cheapest parts you can find with no attention to the quality of the parts.

There is a huge difference and I cant stress this enough.

Do the SYE and CV shaft. It future proofs the jeep so that you arent limited as the jeep grows in the future and prevents any problems or vibrations. Do it once, do it right. But do it on a budget.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
rshepler217
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yaa ive already noticed that about the roads. i personally am really happy with rough country for many reasons. i have their kit on my truck and it handles exceptionally better than it did stock. i ended up getting the sye and am going to get the driveshaft today from a junk yard. how long will i need to have cut out of the driveshaft so that i can have it ready to be put in after the lift is all done? i bought a 4" lift with leaf springs instead of add a leafs.
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yaa ive already noticed that about the roads. i personally am really happy with rough country for many reasons. i have their kit on my truck and it handles exceptionally better than it did stock. i ended up getting the sye and am going to get the driveshaft today from a junk yard. how long will i need to have cut out of the driveshaft so that i can have it ready to be put in after the lift is all done? i bought a 4" lift with leaf springs instead of add a leafs.
you have to measure for the shaft. guess and you will probably have to do it twice.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I like my rough country springs too, even tho everyone and their mother on here bashes them.

I think people who have exactly zero experience with them bash them because they see others and want to be cool.

Not saying their great but they are inexpensive and get the job done.
bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
GromMudder757
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i have rough country 4" kit on mine and im a broke kid! My buddy jeff at rough country gave me a killer deal on it! They have great customer satisfaction and quality parts. My jeep rides so much better than stock, and I dont know why people bash them. I love them

Zak
GromMudder757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
rshepler217
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i talked to jeff too. just being part of the forum gives you a 10% discount. its pretty sweet and i absolutly love my lift in my truck and cant wait to get this jeep done and take it to badlands. in my opinion rough country is a great lift kit for a cheep price and great customer service.
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
TJ-chopper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
I like my rough country springs too, even tho everyone and their mother on here bashes them.

I think people who have exactly zero experience with them bash them because they see others and want to be cool.

Not saying their great but they are inexpensive and get the job done.
I agree with you. I think most talk out of thier a-hole because thier mouth knows better. they know nothing about these springs
1997 TJ 4.0, Automatic with a 4" Zone lift and BDS adjustable control arms, AA transfercase shifter relocator bracket, Real Flat fender, custom front bumper with Stinger and 8000 lb winch. custom rear bumper with swingout tire carrier, Viking soft top, 4.10 gears, SYE and Tatton DS , Goodyear Dura Trac 33x12.50-15 and still working on it.
TJ-chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbear View Post
I agree with you. I think most talk out of thier a-hole because thier mouth knows better. they know nothing about these springs

I for one have experience with RC and BDS. In fact a lot of people who bash RC springs are the ones who bought them cause they were a deal. Then finally got good springs from BDS or OME. I have found that the people who praise RC springs are the ones who are talking out of their A-holes as they have no experience with anything but RC. Therefore they can not make a valid comparison as they have nothing to compare it to. Compare RC YJ springs to BDS YJ springs and you will be amazed at the difference. You cant compare RC YJ springs to RC 1/2ton springs. That's not a fair comparison.

Also, everyone praises their great customer service when you need to replace a spring because it sagged un evenly. Some people have to replace springs multiple times. They say things like, "they didn't give me any trouble, they shipped a new spring quickly, they stood by their product, etc". What troubles me is that people will praise the good customer service while having blinders on and fail to realize that the product is sub par at best. People fail to put a value on their time and never complain about the fact that after they sink their hard earned money in to a lift kit, they have to do it again after the parts fail. After fighting a 20yr old jeep suspension, they find they have to replace a new part because it failed, and only praise the how fast they sent out a new one instead of realizing that it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I have said it once and I will say it again. More so with springs than any other part on a jeep, you really do get what you pay for. The sad part is, until you experience it for your self, you will continue to believe that the RC springs really aren't that bad. Until you buy a set of good springs you will not understand the difference. You will continue to think that every time someone bashes RC, that they are bashing you and you will continue to tell yourself that they aren't that bad. So until you have tried BDS or OME after your RC springs, I wouldn't be so quick to defend them and speculate that all of us RC bashers are talking out of our A-holes while you yourself have no basis for comparison.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
rshepler217
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
I for one have experience with RC and BDS. In fact a lot of people who bash RC springs are the ones who bought them cause they were a deal. Then finally got good springs from BDS or OME. I have found that the people who praise RC springs are the ones who are talking out of their A-holes as they have no experience with anything but RC. Therefore they can not make a valid comparison as they have nothing to compare it to. Compare RC YJ springs to BDS YJ springs and you will be amazed at the difference. You cant compare RC YJ springs to RC 1/2ton springs. That's not a fair comparison.

Also, everyone praises their great customer service when you need to replace a spring because it sagged un evenly. Some people have to replace springs multiple times. They say things like, "they didn't give me any trouble, they shipped a new spring quickly, they stood by their product, etc". What troubles me is that people will praise the good customer service while having blinders on and fail to realize that the product is sub par at best. People fail to put a value on their time and never complain about the fact that after they sink their hard earned money in to a lift kit, they have to do it again after the parts fail. After fighting a 20yr old jeep suspension, they find they have to replace a new part because it failed, and only praise the how fast they sent out a new one instead of realizing that it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I have said it once and I will say it again. More so with springs than any other part on a jeep, you really do get what you pay for. The sad part is, until you experience it for your self, you will continue to believe that the RC springs really aren't that bad. Until you buy a set of good springs you will not understand the difference. You will continue to think that every time someone bashes RC, that they are bashing you and you will continue to tell yourself that they aren't that bad. So until you have tried BDS or OME after your RC springs, I wouldn't be so quick to defend them and speculate that all of us RC bashers are talking out of our A-holes while you yourself have no basis for comparison.
yaa just saying though ive had better luck with rough country springs compared to bds. i have had a bds lift in a cj before, yes only one but when i had 2 of the 4 springs break and separate after paying 1300, not convincing me to buy it again. i have had alot of rough country lifts and always been satisified. i have never tried ome, id like to but being on a college budget rough country is a descent lift for now on a cheep jeep that will be used about 10x a month. dont try to bash a lift that works for some people. not everyone has that kind of money to spend on a lift that wont be used all the time....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.