Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

slightly bent tie rod on yj

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jeremyYJ125 
#1 · (Edited)
so the tie rod on my jeep has been bent back a little from hitting a rock or something, and when i turn in either direction the tie rod rubs the diff cover, i found a tie rod on morris4x4 for 79$, but it doesnt come with the ends, so how hard is it the get the ends off my bent tie rod?

#3 ·
One Tie rod end (TRE) is part of the long bar which all is the Tie Rod and costs about $80, which looks like the one in your post. You should also purchase a "left outter" TRE, which is the connector that screws into the other end of the tie rod--think they run abou $30. You may have to reuse your thread sleeve and clamps that are on the drivers side of the Tie Rod, but no biggie. Count the threads exposed on your current TREs before removing and install the new one the same way.

Actually---Not sure if they are the originals on your jeep, but it may be worth replacing all your TREs and probably the steering damper since you have to remove (or partly remove) most of that stuff to get the tie rod out.

#5 ·
Considering what is listed in your profile you should be looking at a completely new steering system. Crossover/Hi steer etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.