Slight pull left and right - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Slight pull left and right

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
brianfulcher15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Slight pull left and right

I bought a new jeep, and it drives smooth, but ive noticed that at slow speeds it seems to pull left and right. Just trying to see if this sounds normal for a jeep with the suspension and specs listed below. and some advise if its not normal. its not death wobble, and its not so bad that im at all in danger of running off the road.

Heres the specs of the jeep

94 jeep wrangler sahara

has around 168k miles with the inline 6.
lift/suspension; total of 5.5-6 inches of lift, 2.5-3 inch lift springs, 2 inch shackle, and 1 inch body bushing. and 4 pretty new skyjacker hydro shocks, and a skyjacker steering stabilizer.

Brand new 35x12.5 tires, not sure of the wheel specs but they are 15s.

ford 8.8 with limited slip and disc brakes swapped into the rear, and a dana 30" in the front with a Spartan locker,
both have been regeared to 4:10 within the past 4 months.

transfer case drop
extended brake lines
pitman arm drop

jeep also has a flowmaster super 40 with.

brianfulcher15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hard to say outright as there are a number of things that can cause the above symptoms. It is important not to forget that your jeep is heavily modified and steering components/geometry drastically changes when suspension lifts are added.

How is the steering setup currently? Is there any sort of "hi-steer" system on it or does the tie rod off the pitman arm go directly to the bottom of the steering knuckle? You only have a pitman arm drop?

You are most likely experiencing bump steer, however there are wearable parts that can cause this.

Step 1 : Visually inspect for play in the overall steering system, while standing outside the vehicle so you can see the front tires, how much play is there from when you turn the steering wheel, to when the tire moves? If there is excessive delay between turn of wheel and turn of tire, your steering shaft needs to be inspected, or the power steering box needs to be adjusted.

Step 2 : Inspect tie rod and drag link ends. Worn tie rod ends can give play to the steering system as a whole.

Step 3 : Inspect ball joints and hub/unit bearing. This can be done by jacking up one of the front tires, grabbing the tire, and checking for play in the hub. (Try to push the top of the tire toward the jeep, bottom away from jeep and vise versa... If there is any forward/aft "jiggle" then your hub is bad. You should only be able to "spin" the tire by hand, no other movement should be present.

So,

-check for play in steering system overall, then determine if play is comming from shaft, box, or lower components.
-check tie rod ends/drag link ends
-check hub/ball joints
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
YjTimmy15
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mine had the same problem too.

Check the Steering shaft. If it has some play most likely you will need replace the bearing at the top of the shaft

Make sure the Shaft isn't Warped or slightly bent

Lastly, make sure your gearbox isn't bad. On mine the gearbox needed to be replaced. The bearings on it were shot, so the pitman arm had minor play when turning the wheel.
YjTimmy15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfulcher15 View Post
I bought a new jeep, and it drives smooth, but ive noticed that at slow speeds it seems to pull left and right. Just trying to see if this sounds normal for a jeep with the suspension and specs listed below. and some advise if its not normal. its not death wobble, and its not so bad that im at all in danger of running off the road.

Heres the specs of the jeep

94 jeep wrangler sahara

has around 168k miles with the inline 6.
lift/suspension; total of 5.5-6 inches of lift, 2.5-3 inch lift springs, 2 inch shackle, and 1 inch body bushing. and 4 pretty new skyjacker hydro shocks, and a skyjacker steering stabilizer.

Brand new 35x12.5 tires, not sure of the wheel specs but they are 15s.

ford 8.8 with limited slip and disc brakes swapped into the rear, and a dana 30" in the front with a Spartan locker,
both have been regeared to 4:10 within the past 4 months.

transfer case drop
extended brake lines
pitman arm drop

jeep also has a flowmaster super 40 with.

The shackle lift is pretty extreem and can cause the caster be negative and the steering to wander.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
brianfulcher15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll give the steering parts a look for play, It is supposed to have a fresh alignment when the tires were put on, so i dont think it would have any alignment issues.

If I rule out everything except for the shackles, I may just look into getting a different suspension lift down the road.

It does not have a hi steer kit installed.
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
brianfulcher15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

what would be the smoothest rideing suspenstion on road thats still offroad worthy, but would let me fit the 35 x 12.5's
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ome. Old man emu
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Love OME but I thought they only go 3.5 lift. He would need body lift plus shackle to fit 35's without major cutting. I'd go RE Extreme 4.5 or BDS and limit the shackle lift to .5 or 1"
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
Love OME but I thought they only go 3.5 lift. He would need body lift plus shackle to fit 35's without major cutting. I'd go RE Extreme 4.5 or BDS and limit the shackle lift to .5 or 1"
You mean 2.5" lift springs. The 36r springs do net a solid and reliable 3" though.

But yes, cutting would be required. OME 2.5" springs, 1" shackle lift, 1" BL, and TJ flares would work really well. Mate the OME springs with a set of bilstien 5100s and you'll have a ride that rivals a stock tj.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
brianfulcher15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well i have a feeling these are 1" shackles, but branded at 2" as alot seem to be. only giving me 1"

I may get a set of stock ones and just swap to it and avoid flexing to much, i'd still be at 4" of life and with the offset ot he wheels there barley any of the tire under the jeep as it sits.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
brianfulcher15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

how should I expect it to handle if I went back to stock shackles and switched to a SOA setup with the current 3.5" lift and 1 inch body lift
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If I figure that right, its roughly 8" of lift at that set up. That's crazy
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfulcher15 View Post
how should I expect it to handle if I went back to stock shackles and switched to a SOA setup with the current 3.5" lift and 1 inch body lift
SOA is a huge, expensive undertaking to get right.
There is a LOT that goes into getting SOA set up right besides just moving the spring perches...A cross over or Hi-steer set up, Traction bars, drive shafts, SYE, brakes and brake lines, etc, etc, etc...

Not to mention the almost 9" of lift that would net you.

Whats your endgame here? What do you want to do with your Jeep? What do you want it to look like? Budget?

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
brianfulcher15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i just want it to not wonder so much on the road, and have no rubbing issues with the 35" tires. I like the way it looks now to be honest, I still need to check for loose steering components though just encase it is not a steering component that causing the problem
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
brianfulcher15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Im pretty sure im going to need to cut the rear more to fit the tires in the back already at full flex they hit at the front and rear of the arch, there's no issues at all with rubbing with the front tires though.

maybe i can cut some metal and just put stock shackles back on and be good to go.

I think im giong to give it a couple more weeks and see how i like it, it may just be me not used to driving it as well, Im coming from sports cars and muscle cars that feel much different than a 4x4 jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.