slave took a dump... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > slave took a dump...

Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 05-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
Broyce
White Ghost

1993 YJ Wrangler 

slave took a dump...

Ok so my slave went out on my 93 yj yesterday (internal slave) came across a 95 yj ax5(external slave) for a decent price but don't know the mileage yet. And before you say do a ax15 swap.. I don't have the extra $$ for that. Since its not much more than buying an internal slave, should I just do the swap since I have to take out the tranny anyways?!?! I'm guessing YES but I guess I would need to know other than the master cylinder is there anything else I need to have to do the switch?!?! Thanks!

Broyce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Short answer is yes, you should do the swap.

Use new clutch hydraulics. Master/hose/slave. Not much sense in going with used but if money is an issue then do what you can. YOu need the bellhousing, clutch fork and the little retaining spring, and the input bearing retainer. You should get a new clutch kit, order one for the 95. It will include the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pressure plate and the clutch plate. Should be all you need, but you should replace the seal on the "new" input bearing retainer, and you'll need a tube of RTV to seal the new input bearing retainer to the transmission.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
Broyce
White Ghost

1993 YJ Wrangler 

ok but will I need anything else other than the master to do it? Thanks for the input btw
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm editing.....hang on.

Should all be in the first reply now.

Oh, and no reason to swap out the entire tranny, just keep the 95 tranny as a spare, and swap stuff over to your 93 tranny.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #5
Broyce
White Ghost

1993 YJ Wrangler 

its at a pick and pull where the jeeps frame was rusted through, still need to check the mileage, but I can pull it all at once. so everything will be with it I suppose.

edit: and I've always got RTV laying around lol I do alot of work on cars just newer to jeep trannys.
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Get this stuff. This is an AX5. The bell, and everything in it you see, but of course don't reuse "wear parts." Like the Throwout bearing you see in this photo. The little spring clip holding the fork onto the pivot ball on the left side of the photo, you need that too, so get it and don't lose it. You can see the clutch fork, but not the front bearing retainer--well, the base plate so to speak but you can't see the long snout. If you're getting the whole shebang, then take it but you don't need to swap out your trans. It works as well as you know it, and the "new" one you have no idea of how well it would work. Don't want to install it and find it is totally boogered and have to swap your original back in. Just use your trans and keep the 95 trans wrapped up somewhere safe. Also, get the shifter/shift tower when you pull it.

Long snout front bearing retainer will look like this when you pull it off.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
Broyce
White Ghost

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It should pull straight down with it , they jack up all of their vehicles so you can pull it out from the bottom, its connected and staying there ha ha. wish there was a way to know if it was a good tranny or not , mine grinds sometimes but that could be from the slave going out too. One minute it would grind next minute be smooth as a babys ***. Any tricks on a smoother pull?
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #8
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am pretty sure that this tranny is also cursed with the 2 E12 external Torx bolts at the very top of the bellhousing. They are bit*#ing tight, and are painful to get to. Don't try to use some cheesy 12 point socket on them or you will forever rue the day.......Easiest to reach them and DO THEM FIRST as soon as you get the T case off. It is best to access these thru the tranny tunnel with the shifter boot out from inside the Jeep with two long extensions and likely a wobble joint on the end. Or alternatively, lower down the back of the trans until you can see them and have clearance and you can get them from below. E12 fits on a 3/8 ratchet, but that size ratchet will not give you enough torque to bust them loose generally so either have a 3/8--1/2 converter, or take a 18" pipe to slip over your 3/8 ratchet as a cheater bar. Easier to get to also if you lower the back end of the tranny down which tips the front of the engine up and you can get to the bolts easier. You will likely have the skid plate off, and if you're on a lift, you need somthing to hold the trans up so take a big ratchet strap you can connect to the top of the roll bar and around the tranny back end, or some rope at least. I don't know what they have out there. Pull out the rest of the bolts, and make sure there are none left in coming thru from the front (usually at least 2, one for the hydraulic hose the other for a wire loom on passenger side), but then take the 2 widest apart bolts and twist them in about a full turn each, and when you pull the trans back, they will act as Stops so it doesn't fly off in your face and drop on you. You can push trans back a bit, remove those, and then under control lower it to the ground. Not too heavy, about 90lbs.

Shifting condition you describe does sound like a clutch hydraulic issue.....

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
Broyce
White Ghost

1993 YJ Wrangler 

yeah I'm sure I'll go through hell just getting the skid plate off since I'm in Ohio uggg I hate this state and I've been here for 38 years. keeping my fingers crossed X. But I'm a smaller guy and my hands can get into places most can't! ( bonus ). I've pulled I don't know how many 350 turbo's but this being a 5 speed is a little different obviously... I appreciate the help man!!
Unread 05-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #10
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If the skid bolts don't come loose, just hope that the heads wring off rather than the captured nuts spin loose inside the frame. If you're lucky the yard may have a flame wrench they won't mind using to torch off the bolts. Of course you have to remove the tranny mount nuts coming thru the skid, and the torque arm nut on the driver's side. You will need to have something to drain the fluids into for the trans and the t case unless you want to wear it. 30MM socket for the T case drain/fill plugs, 15/16" for the Tranny drain plug. Best to drain before you yank.

How much for that transmission at the U pull it yard??

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #11
Broyce
White Ghost

1993 YJ Wrangler 

it said on their list $100 plus like 30 for a core.. so $130
Unread 05-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

They're giving it away. Take it, but use your orig tranny, and store the 95 tranny for later. Just take the parts from the 95 to convert your 93 and keep your 93 tranny employed. The 95 gets shrink wrapped and is put in strategic reserve. $130!!!!! I can't buy an ext slave version front bearing retainer for that. It can't be all that bad to live in Ohio......

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #13
JMAC90YJ

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am getting ready to do the same conversion, I got this stuff on Saturday for $80.00.
The slave and master cyl seem to be good, How can I tell for sure. Also when I order the new throw out bearing, What year do I ask for? My jeep is a 90, the bell housing is from a 95 and the brg retainer ? the guy took it off of a AX5 while I waited.

A few years back I had a new clutch installed, Would it need to be replaced since my internal set up leaked fluid?

I haven't put 25000 miles on it since it was installed.
Thanks.
sorry to hijack.
photo-2.jpg

Unread 05-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #14
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC90YJ View Post
I am getting ready to do the same conversion, I got this stuff on Saturday for $80.00.
The slave and master cyl seem to be good, How can I tell for sure. Also when I order the new throw out bearing, What year do I ask for? My jeep is a 90, the bell housing is from a 95 and the brg retainer ? the guy took it off of a AX5 while I waited.

A few years back I had a new clutch installed, Would it need to be replaced since my internal set up leaked fluid?

I haven't put 25000 miles on it since it was installed.
Thanks.
sorry to hijack.
It's okay to start your own thread, no penalties there. My personal opinion/what I'd do? I'd put in a new clutch kit, no question. I'd also put in a new clutch master/hose/slave unit and not use old stuff. You always take a risk with old "wear" parts, but with ext slave, it's not that tough to pull that and install new. You will tell the parts counter man you want parts for a 94 YJ, or if you want, 95. You will get the right TO bearing. Also will get right clutch kit as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
Broyce
White Ghost

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok , I went a different route. I picked up the bell housing and slave (external) for $50. So I need the fork for sure , do I still need to get a new long snout bearing retainer?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.