Slave or pressure plate? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Slave or pressure plate?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Slave or pressure plate?

Since day 1 of me owning the jeep i have noticed that going from a stop to start it has a shutter to it. It does not grind going into gears and slides in smooth (thats what she said). It seems that the clutch is engaging but not until the pedal is almost released the whole way if that makes sense?
I haven't had the chance to check the master due to being sick but i do know there are no leaks that i have noticed lately.
Any suggestions or input?

bcusstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good chance the clutch is worn out if it engages at the 'top'

The shudder could be from the worn out disk / flywheel not perfectly smooth anymore, or from oil on the disk.

If the system needed bleeding, you would have the opposite problem - clutch would want to be always engaged and just barely disengaging down low or after pumping the pedal.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thats what i was leaning towards
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just to bump it back to the top, Does anyone feel that some clutches are just junk and some are better than others?
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

luk is a good choice, from what I've read they made the factory clutch. check rock auto for a great price.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.