Slave cylinder or synchronizers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Slave cylinder or synchronizers?

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring Harness

Unread 01-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Slave cylinder or synchronizers?

So my 94yj has a ax15 external Slave and it's acting up. Sometimes the Jeep won't go into any gear and in reverse it will grind if I try to go into reverse and 1st - 5th it just won't go in at all. If I shut the Jeep off it will usually go into gear even without pushing the clutch. Sometimes it won't though. But when it's running sometimes it will shift like butter and sometimes it won't go into any gear unless I turn it off off and put it in gear then start it or force it into reverse. My friend said when I had it running and was in neutral when I pressed the clutch and went to put it in 1st he saw the back right wheel slightly move forward(tire off the ground) but it wouldn't go in gear. Every time I tried to go into 1st he said the tire would move. Don't know what's going on. Checked tranny fluid and it's brand new fluid and full. Any ideas?

Unread 01-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar9
So my 94yj has a ax15 external Slave and it's acting up. Sometimes the Jeep won't go into any gear and in reverse it will grind if I try to go into reverse and 1st - 5th it just won't go in at all. If I shut the Jeep off it will usually go into gear even without pushing the clutch. Sometimes it won't though. But when it's running sometimes it will shift like butter and sometimes it won't go into any gear unless I turn it off off and put it in gear then start it or force it into reverse. My friend said when I had it running and was in neutral when I pressed the clutch and went to put it in 1st he saw the back right wheel slightly move forward(tire off the ground) but it wouldn't go in gear. Every time I tried to go into 1st he said the tire would move. Don't know what's going on. Checked tranny fluid and it's brand new fluid and full. Any ideas?
Try pumping the clutch pedal about 10 times fairly quickly. If you can then get it into gear it's your hydros. More likely your master cylinder. I suggest replacing the mc and sc. Get the kit and swap them both. 1 hour max and you're done.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
Try pumping the clutch pedal about 10 times fairly quickly. If you can then get it into gear it's your hydros. More likely your master cylinder. I suggest replacing the mc and sc. Get the kit and swap them both. 1 hour max and you're done.
But I kind of feel like my hydraulics are good because if I have the jeep off and I turn it on while in gear with the clutch pressed it won't lurch forward or anything. Also when it is driving good it shifts really smooth and the clutch always feels very nice. Could it possibly be the pressure plate? I'm going to try the pumping it 10 times thing and see. If it works I'll throw a new master and Slave on it tomorrow. And just because it might help I might drain a quart of fluid and add some syncromesh. The guy I bought it from said he just put a heavy duty center force clutch and pressure plate in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.