slave cylinder replacement 92 yj - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > slave cylinder replacement 92 yj

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 07-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Convert to external slave--you will need bellhousing from 94 or newer AX5 equipped Jeep (ebay, junkyard) long snout version input bearing retainer with new seal in it (ebay, zumbrota bearing and gear, Novak, advanced adaptors, junkyard) clutch "fork" (junkyard, ebay, local parts store) and the new internal slave, hose, master cyl which comes as a one piece prebled unit. Internal view of bellhousing in an ext slave 94 Jeep:

Here is a writeup on the external slave, includes part numbers of the one piece unit as mentioned. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...-unit-1112094/

Having all of the above, you will need clutch "kit" from your local parts store with new clutch, pressure plate, Throwout bearing, pilot bearing and the clutch alignment tool, ask for the kit for a 94 YJ, not for 92. From there it is all bolt in.

If you plan on keeping internal slave, get new slave from Jeep/Chrysler, not your local parts store. Don't even think about rebuilding a slave cylinder unless you are totally bored and want to spend the next few months pulling the tranny and then finally going with new. I don't even think parts would be available for this venture.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
fritz92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ok, I think I'm going to attempt the switch to external slave, stay with me here...
fritz92jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz92jeepyj View Post
ok, I think I'm going to attempt the switch to external slave, stay with me here...
Obtain your parts, and let us know when they get there, we'll go from there.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
fritz92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So I decided to just replace the internal slave this time, finding all the parts for a switch over was proving too difficult and I am new at this. I had to call around a bit but I found a Luk clutch kit that includes the slave for $280 (canadian) prices varied widely!!! some parts stores wanted up to $400 just for the slave!! I also picked up a rear main seal to do while I'm in there, any other parts I will need before I begin?
Unread 07-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
bhamdan
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
could you explain more what was involved with this swap? parts? cost?
I bought the following parts but replaced my clutch and flywheel too:
external bellhousing, fork, and bearing retainer on ebay: 115
slave - rockauto: 50
hydraulic line - rockauto: 45
pivot ball: ~5
pivot ball spring: ~5
clutch kit: ~140
throwout bearing: ~45
flywheel: ~55
bearing retainer seal: ~8

I think that was it... so <500 for all that. so subtract about 200 if youre not replacing your clutch and flywheel. The clutch kit i bought before and had the internal slave, so i had to buy the TB separately. There is a thread on here for doing the conversion on a ax15. mine was the ax5. the ax15 might need a different pilot bearing.
bhamdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #21
fritz92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

what is ax5 and ax15?
Unread 07-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #22
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
what is ax5 and ax15?
AX5 is the 4-cyl 5-speed, typically pretty weak for all but stock applications. AX15 is the 6-cyl 5-speed, much better for most uses.
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
2FarWest
1993 YJ Wrangler 

just swapped internal slave on my 93

Just did this swap. Never did totally drop the tranny, removed the skid plate with the help of a floor jack after blocking up the front of the bell housing.
Next removed front and rear drive shafts. Then drained the t-case. Removed the bolts and it was light enough to man-handle out of the way. Before taking the t-case off, I removed the shift linkage and speedo wire and one more wire I think.
Next remove the clutch lines where they go into the bell housing.
Then I went upstairs and removed the tunnel cover (where the shifter goes thru the floor) popped the shifter out and then stuck a 2x4 thru the windows and used a ratchet strap to hold the tranny. Remove the bell housing bolts, and then with the help of 2 floor jacks and the ratchet strap I wrestled it off the engine and pulled it back far enough to clear the exhaust and then get at the slave. Mine had a hole in the rubber donut part.
It took a bit of pulling and @#$%ing to get the tranny off the engine and an equal amount to get it lined up again. It will go back together easier than it came apart.
I paid $160 Cdn at my local NAPA for the slave cylinder.
It will help to have a helper when bleeding it.
2FarWest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cylinder , replacement , slave

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.