slave cylinder replacement 92 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > slave cylinder replacement 92 yj

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 07-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
fritz92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

slave cylinder replacement 92 yj

replacing the slave cylinder on a 92 yj with the internal slave, I can refill at the master and get it to work for a bit but I see it leaking out of the bottom of the trans and it goes soft in about 60 pushes of the clutch. looks like I'll have to drop the trans. a step by step procedure would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

fritz92jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
fritz92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

anyone done this procedure?
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
jmmorgan82

I just replaced my tranny recently. A Haynes or Chiltons is your friend.

Here is the condensed version of what I did:
Disconnect battery.
Lift front of Jeep and put on jackstands, chock rear wheels.
Support tranny with floor jack and remove skid plate.
Drain transfer case/transmission fluid then remove driveshafts.
Remove shifters for tranny/tc.
Unbolt exhaust and move out of the way. Be sure to unplug o2 sensor first
Remove transfer case
Using 2nd jack, support engine by oil pan with piece of wood in-between.
Unhook line from slave cylinder, be sure to remove cps from bellhousing.
Drop tranny and remove/replace slave cylinder.
Reverse for install.

I'm sure I missed something there, but it is pretty simple. I was able to pull everything myself in a few hours, and just had a buddy help me lift the tranny back into place. With air tools and a transmission jack, you can knock it out in no time.

Note: Get some ziplock bags and label what the nuts/bolts go to, makes installation much easier.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You likely haven't lurked around the forum long enough to have gained the collective wisdom of a lot of those who are plagued with the internal slave. There are threads where Jeepers have replaced their internal slaves TWICE in very short order due to defects in aftermarket internal slaves. The thing to strongly consider here is to purchase OEM, and spend the extra money at the stealership. This is one of the few times I would ever recommend purchasing something from the source. While you're at this, it's best to replace your clutch master as well since these generally fail shortly after the replacement of the other component. Just things for you to consider, and since it gets cold where you live, it's best to do it now rather than in the snow.

You could of course consider at this point converting over to the external clutch slave mechanism like in the 94 and newer versions. I just have nothing good to say about the internal slave at all. I got rid of mine and it was one of the best things I did for my Jeep. If you read thru the first page or so of this thread, you'll get a good idea about how to pull your trans. even though what the OP was doing was converting to another type of trans--the remove and replace procedure is the same. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/ It would be a very good idea to replace your clutch/pressure plate/pilot bearing while you're in there. It is all straightforward, but a nuisance to have to do it all over again because you didn't take the opportunity to "rig for silent running."

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
bhamdan
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Convert to the external slave. I just did it on my 92. Took my dad and I about 7 hours total.
bhamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
fritz92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks so much guys this will help me out very much!!!
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
fritz92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How can i drop the tranny without a jack??
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz92jeepyj View Post
How can i drop the tranny without a jack??
Gravity is very helpful here.

I would make sure you lighten the load by separating off the transfer case so you only have to wrestle with the Transmission. You can wiggle it free and "bench press" it down, taking caution to not cushion its impact with your face.

Putting it back in is more of a challenge as you need to align a variety of items. To make this easier, thread in some long (8-10" dowels) that fit the two bottom/widest apart mount holes on the engine block. You can then use these as guides which will also support the front of the trans and assist in getting things lined back up. Here is a photo example of this:

You can also use these as "safety devices" if you use all-thread, just spin a nut on the end so that when you pull the trans back when removing it, it won't jump off onto your face but will stop up against the nuts. Thread for these I am pretty sure is like 7/16 coarse, but pull one and verify before you head for the hardware store.
It isn't necessary to have a floor jack or a tranny jack, but sure is helpful in handling the weight. I'd recommend luring a buddy into the act of helping by offering a 12-pack or so, just don't start drinking it until the trans is back in place. Drain your Trans/T case fluids into an appropriate container for recycling or disposal first.

Look thru the FAQs, specifically thru the Transmission section--start here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...-first-580536/

Read thru any transmission swap threads where removing/installing transmission and/or clutch is mentioned and you will pickup a bunch of tips. Make sure you take a ton of photos, get an online free account like Photobuckt and post up IMG code photos so we can help with any questions, and you can of course illustrate your concerns with the photos. I have more tips, so just keep posting up questions.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
fritz92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ok thanks, I just don't know if I can do this without a jack, I have a bad back already!
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
fritz92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ok guys one more thing before I begin this heart transplant, can anyone list the tools and any components I will need to complete this project? like do I need any special tools or gaskets or anything?
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
fritz92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamdan View Post
Convert to the external slave. I just did it on my 92. Took my dad and I about 7 hours total.
could you explain more what was involved with this swap? parts? cost?
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
fritz92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just want to say thanks again for all your help fellas, I really appreciate all this expert advice, what a great forum!!!
Unread 07-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
fritz92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

can I rebuild the slave cylinder?
Unread 07-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
fritz92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

what's the best slave to buy?
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Well, that's ONE way to get your post count up...
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cylinder , replacement , slave

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.