Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

slave cylinder installation (internal)

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  hmk_21 
#1 ·
Ok... with my now 4th attempt over two years to install this said part...

I have some questions.
first off, why does the 2.5L slave, the 4.2L slave (peugot), and the 4.2L (ax15) all have different part numbers when visually they look EXACTLY the same.

they look identical, same throwout distance, same compressed distance,.. and vary in price about 200$.

now... when installing, do you take the Tstraps off? as it seems my problem lies within the bearing going, rather than the hydraulic side of things... which leads me to think its always resting on thew pressure plate and spinning.

since its never lubed, the bearing has a 6month life span im finally figuring out.

soooo.. when installing do i want this part fully compressed, then bleed properly.. THEN step on the pedal to push this out?

See less See more
#2 ·
You have to keep the straps on I know that much. Then just bleed it normally. Fill up the master and open up the bleeder and hit the clutch so it expands. Fill up again and then gravity bleed. I'm not expert on clutch's but did you have the flywheel resurfaced? Maybe it's a little off and the fingers aren't even and maybe slicing the rubber boot. I dunno, maybe it'll pay to have someone else do it and keep bringing it back when you have problems. They're a horrible setup and I wish I had the info when I was doing my to convert it to an external.

Sorry, have no idea about the pricing.

#3 ·
yup leave the straps on..when you bleed it and push in the pedal, they will come off..

i have a rhino clutch for my 6cyl (from quadratec) and it was like $170 for the complete kit.. the 4cyl was about the same..

for the price variance you have found, are you sure you are comparing apples to apples?

#4 ·
cueball said:
i have a rhino clutch for my 6cyl (from quadratec) and it was like $170 for the complete kit.. the 4cyl was about the same..
LUK Clutch kit costs about the same includes slave cylinder.

Hear lots of horror stories about parts house slave cylinders going out in 2, 3 or 4 months. Caveat emptor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.