slave cylinder? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > slave cylinder?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-13-2003, 11:22 PM   #1
DanyJeep

slave cylinder?

well well, took my baby out and decided because it was a nice out to replace the clutch fluid. So i get my trusty haynes manual out to find where the bleeder is located on my jeep and the book says on the passenger side for all 4 cyl. models....i check and realize that it is on the drvier's side. Haynes for jeep yj's SUX!!!!!!!
said that from experience...

so i go to unscrew the bleeder with an alan key and the whole top part of the cylinder cracks off and i have fun with dot 3 fluid all over me!!!!

and thus the jeep is in the driveway, i have my first jeep meeting tomorrow, and i m not sure what the part is called

my question is what is this part? slave cylinder???? how much should i pay roughly???? and should i got OEM or not?

thanx in advance

DanyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2003, 12:40 AM   #2
JDEEEWP
2001 TJ Wrangler 

autozone parts suck

DO NOT GO WITH BRAKEWARE AUTOZONE CRAP!!!!!!

i just installed one of there master cyls. it is noisy and there seems to be little flecks of metal in my fluid.

im going to replace it again when i do my slave cyl
i just want it to be nice and warm when i do that tho.
Unread 04-14-2003, 01:01 AM   #3
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i agree with JD about the autozone brakeware stuff. stay away from Tru built too. (same manufacturer i think cause i got it at a different store and it's doing the same thing as the brakeware and looks identical. getting a dealer part soon) anyway enough about my problems. what year jeep are you talking about? the 94 and 95 models had factory sealed master and slave cylinders. an allen key to undo the bleeder? i guess there might be some slave cylinders out there with that but all the one's i've seen are made for a small wrench. and i've never seen a 4 cyl with the bleeder on the driver side. i have the Haynes manual and the Chilton's and both say it's on the passenger side and with my 88 4cyl, it is. I agree that haynes can be a bit vague at times, but it was right on the money with my jeep. did you buy the jeep used? might be that someone swapped an AX-15 in there from a 6 cyl. as for the broken bleeder, i think what you're saying is that the bigger cylinder that the bleed nut screws into cracked near the line or the line itself cracked. if so, you might try getting a piece of brake line and some compression fittings and putting a new bleeder on rather then pull the tranny to change the whole slave cylinder. it's up to you and i'm still a little vague on what broke where so it might not be possible, but i'd personally try something like that before ripping out the tranny. if you want to go that route, you're gonna need a new slave cylinder/throwout bearing assembly. they are one and the same in the models with beedible clutches. if you're pulling the tranny, might as well get the kits that come with the clutch plates, slave cyl, etc and just replace everything being you're in there. the kits usually run around 180 to 210. just make sure you've got the right tranny down there, cause it sounds fishy that it's on the driver's side. HTH and let us know the year so we can pinpoint this better.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood

Last edited by sentinal02; 04-14-2003 at 01:04 AM..
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2003, 03:30 AM   #4
ToolMan

I've got a '94 4 cyl. and just got done replacing the master cylinder, and the bleeder screw for mine is also on the driver side above the slave cylinder. I had to use an alan key to bleed it also. Don't no for sure what broke on yours though. Can you descibe it more?

94 YJ, 4 cyl. 31x10.5 General Grabber
MT. 4" LED tail lights. Missin' Cat. and
rear trac bar. Cone Air filter.
8" Batman Rims
ToolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2003, 08:07 AM   #5
allaboutjeep

i have a 93 yj and the bleeder is on the drivers side, 94 model year yjs, im not sure about 95, had an external slave cylinder, but im not sure if that was located on the drivers side or not, if it were me, i would just buy a whole clutch kit and replace everything at once, unless you have an external slave cyl. or you just had the clutch replaced. HTH
Unread 04-14-2003, 08:35 AM   #6
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Try the Napa Brand of brake parts, if you buy their top of the line stuff there is a life time warranty with it.

I am new to Jeep so I can't help unless I see what is going on.
Do you have any pics, so we can see what has broken, then maybe someone can make a positive determination of the broken.

LOL

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2003, 08:33 PM   #7
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

you're not supposed to bleed the 94 and 95 models as far as I know. 87 through 93 all had internal slaves, but when they went external, they made them factory sealed. I won't say you can't do it, but the manuals all say that they're not supposed to be bleedable

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
100ina35

will i have to take off my transmission to replace slave cylinder on a 91 yj 2.5?
100ina35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes.

You may want to start a new thread next time, instead of reviving an ancient one.

Welcome to jeepforum.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #10
laredojo
2002 WJ 

ha ha ,......zombie thread......
Unread 08-13-2011, 06:11 AM   #11
1tuffyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've never looked cuz I don't enough time on my hands but how many pgs u gotta go back to find an 8 yr old thread? Lmao
Unread 08-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #12
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

He probably did what he suppose and used the search feature and found the one he wanted and did not see it was from '03
Unread 08-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
CarolinaYJeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias94yj View Post
He probably did what he suppose and used the search feature and found the one he wanted and did not see it was from '03
Search first, ask second. Good customer.
btw, his Jeep is older than the thread, of course. Info still good, relevant. What's the problem? Is there some imaginary "don't go back that far" line?
Newb (I) read the rules but missed that part.
Unread 08-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah the 95s have externals and are factory sealed, only from the 2 that I have seen, but mine had an aftermarket slave on it, and it has a bleed screw, and its an allen key.
They are on the driverside as well.
And wow, this is an old thread. Hmm, it wasn't a really informative one though, shouldn't have been on the search if you ask me.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
JDEEEWP
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ina35 View Post
will i have to take off my transmission to replace slave cylinder on a 91 yj 2.5?
Not if you pull the engine!

(i swapped out a 2.5L engine on my 93 without removing the transmission...)

The slave is literally wrapped around the transmission input spline. Removing the tranny isn't that bad unless the mounting bolts are rusted, which is guaranteed if the jeep is in the north at that age.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.